Able to edit exercises distance on iOS device

I'm new to Fitbit but have used various other fitness apps over the years. I've just done my first treadmill run with my new charge 2 and the total distance was quite a way off what the treadmill said and what I believe I ran . Please could you add a feature to edit the run distance and other details on the app and website post run?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

80 Comments
LBIFit
First Steps

I just used my elliptical and my exercise log says: 1.6 Miles, 48 Minutes, 423 Calories and 807 Steps.

So I can walk the length of a football field in less than 10 steps?

I can burn 1/2 calorie in 1step?

I must be a giant...good thing I am wearing the larger band!

Moderator edit: format

Sorella
Jogger

I'm just wondering if the developers in this company ever actually DO anything. I'm looking at multiple requests to calibrate elliptical use better for a more accurate step count, for instance, and I see the same request has been made over the past several YEARS. What is the point of asking people's opinions if you're not going to do anything with them? Or asking people to "vote" on suggestions - ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Can you not tell a good suggestion from a bad one?

I believe that the Fitbit concept is an excellent one for monitoring and improving health, but this company is very mediocre in professionalism and technological improvement. I am so not impressed. Can I get an intelligent response? Thank you.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I'm not sure what is meant by calibrate the elypticale. @Sorella. Fitbit counts arm motions looking for movement that looks like the feet are stepping. , does the user actually walk while on the elliptical?

Since the tracker on your arm has no idea what the feet are doing, I'm not sure if there is the ability to calibrate for "virtuql"

, made up distance rrportereby the eliptycalel

As for, does the developers look here. 

Well let's see

Released a childrens tracker

Released a sorry two tracker a that run a true OS

Released the ability to design your own clock face and apps. 

Are just a few of the 300+ suggestions tgatthave been released

@LBIFit what did the elliptical report as your virtual steps? 

LBIFit
First Steps

@Rich_Laue

Rather than have you go back to my post to answer your question you can just reread my post here:

"I just used my elliptical and my exercise log says: 1.6 Miles, 48 Minutes, 423 Calories and 807 Steps.

Si I can walk the length of a football field in less than 10 steps? 

I can burn 1/2 calorie in 1 step?  

I must be a giant...good thing I am wearing the larger band!"

Moderator edit: format

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Normally @LBIFit I do not answer people who insist on yelling in all capital letters. It is a sign of disrespect. Please re-read the community guidelines

Yes I read your post. Your exercise log, which exercise log? The Fitbit exercise log or was it your elliptical exercise log? 

Since there are two logs involved, mentioning only one log does not give any reference point. 

Or maybe the false steps came from Fitbit, your elliptical does not count steps. and the distance mentioned came from the elliptical. I don't know 

The user does not step while on an elliptical machine. So technically if any syepssste counted, this is a mistake .

Point three. On an elliptical, there is no such thing as a stride, The virtual, ie: made up distance is based on the diameter of the wheel and the amount of times it rotates. 

Point Four. The tire rotation has been geared up in relation to the pedals. 

Take a 3 foot with a circumference of 9.42 feet .Not know I the gear ratio. But knowing how my bike is .One crank of my pedal will take me 32 + feet 

When the pedals stop moving. or pause for a little. the tire still turns and distance is still being added. 

The tracker being mounted on the arm, looks for arm motions that look like the feet are stepping. Holding onto the handles, may very well move the arm in a way that the fitbit doesn't realize the feet are moving. 

I still say the best way is to manually edit the distance. Instead of tryong to determine through arm motions the distance reported by an elliptical machine. This should not be a problem because Fitbit does not offer any challenges that are distance based

Chris444
First Steps
The point of this thread seems to have been lost. If my FitBit auto detects a run I cannot then manually add the distance despite the option being there to do exactly that it never saves. Find it amazing that a brand providing products and software aimed at the fitness market cannot solve such a simple defect
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Chris444 this thread is about editing distance that Fitbit has recorded wrong. Not adding a distance that was not recorded by fitbitF 

Have you voted for this request SmartTrack to display distance for step-based acti...

LBIFit
First Steps

@Rich_Laue

The all caps from my original post was to denote the irony of the mismatched data...I guess I should have added a "lol" to not offend you. I appreciate you taking the time to try to help here.

All data is from the fitbit.  I did not bother to include any data from the elliptical as I did not think it added value. The sheer impossibility of, "1.6 Miles, 48 Minutes, 423 Calories and 807 Steps." Should be enough to demonstrate the need to be able to edit the data if the tracker can not record the motion correctly.  Again, 807 steps in 48 minutes...I promise that is an undercount...LOL.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

It probably is, the tracker does not have the ability to determine the arm movements while on an elliptical machine as steps .The arm is not moving in the way it would move if the person was stepping. It is only by luck that some steps are being recorded. 

I'll assume your tracker is in the elliptical mode. 

There are is a big group that want the ability to remove these false steps. 

In theory the reported distance should be based on the rotation of the tire, not the movement of the arms or feet. 

MamaMeeks
Jogger

How is this still not a feature? My Fitbit doors not correctly measure distance, which throws off my pace. I'm training for the military, and my run time matters. 

What's the point of a $100+ watch i have to recharge every few days without the ability to edit a workout? What junk.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

In general your tracker can not measure distance, it counts steps and calculates, based on the stride setting. When the stride setting is correct, the distance reported will be close. .

MamaMeeks
Jogger
Yes, i know. That had nothing to do with my post. My complaint is that I am
unable to edit the distance it comes up with. That is the basis for the
thread I commented on, which was opened in 2016. I find it somewhat
disgusting, frankly, that in all this time Fitbit had not implemented such
a simple function.

-Jamie-
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Out of the many millions of users that track their exercises, why are their only 105 users who are interested?

It is a shame that so few seem to want the ability to edit distance. 

MamaMeeks
Jogger
I concur! I suppose most simply accept that what their Fitbit tells them is
correct, choose to live with the inaccuracy, or just simply don't get on to
forums. It's tough to speculate, because there could be so many reasons.

-Jamie-
Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
hrebejk
First Steps

No, you're not striving to enhance Fitbit products and services.  You are happily ignoring feedback from 100+ users who spent money on FitBit. And worse, you are silencing them now by disallowing comments.

Maybe we at least deserve to know the real reason why you decided not to fix this bug (it is in fact bug not RFE). 

DavidandVal
First Steps

I carry a Garmin map64s and record all and every activity I undertake. It would be really great if I could edit the recorded data from my/our FitBit Charge 2's to add the distance covered to the records that the FitBits create. This would add to a lot more useful information for us as the records build up.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @DavidandVal, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. Thanks for your understanding, I hope to see you around.

Status changed to: Existing Feature
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @fireman099 and commenters, thanks for patience while we're working on giving you more options on your devices. You can add and edit the distance of your activities tracked on your iOS devices. On the Fitbit App > tap on the activity > you will find the option edit on the ellipsis icon (...) on the right corner. 

Thanks for sharing your suggestions.

Mama_J
First Steps

So, after it took multiple years to get this feature, it's only available on iOS?! Is it going to be available for Android at any point?

DavidandVal
First Steps

I am hanging out for it.

LizKJ
Jogger

For those of us who do a lot of non-step based activity, it would be helpful to be able to edit the generic "workout" tracked. E.g. rowing 10km on a rowing machine - record as "workout" using the tracker to capture the heart rate data and then edit the workout in the app to record distance covered.

Seems simple to me and the function is there, it's just disabled...

Gwyrlim
Jogger

Still waiting for this feature since 2016. This is a low hanging fruit feature taking a few days tops to implement. Perhaps sending the product owner(s) on some conference and let the team just priorities the backlog and get this done? Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed in the slowness of fixing this basic feature.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

While this feature exists on iOS, Fitbit we need you to be more consistent across the board. If the Operating System will allow it, we need this feature added so that everyone can edit.

Sorry @YojanaFitbit but marking the thread as solved because the feature has been added to iOS does not make it Existing Feature for Android, Microsoft, and web based users.

Fitbit needs to get some consistency

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.