Able to use all sensors included in Fitbit devices

We paid a lot for our devices and we should be provided full use of the sensors built into them, not limited use, if there is a spo2 sensor, we should be able to at will use it, same for temperature and all other sensors, give us that control. Also users should be able to set the device to do these tests on a schedule, with custom period between.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

21 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Once again, this should be not just for charge trackers, but for all of them, sadly I could not choose multiple ones, so here we are.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @SunsetRunner, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to use all sensors included in Fitbit devices with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Having direct access to the sensors data will be useless unless the user has some advanced concept of how to manage this data. In the raw state, this data is pretty useless to the average user. 

AvidOttawa
Jogger

I agree!!

------------------------------------

I meant ... I agree blood oxygen levels should be available on a continuous/on-demand basis (in addition to sleep-time Estimated Oxygen Variation) if the sensor is capable of providing the information. I have a Charge 4.

Coconuts13
First Steps

I think it would be awesome to have full access to all of the fit bit features. I received the fit bit as a gift for Christmas and when I realized that you had to pay extra to use the fit bit to it's full capacity, I thought "Awe, that's a shame." I am not a rich person and I'm not one to simply "buy into things" such as what fit bit premium proposes. I am in the medical field and I find such data interesting (O2 sat, temp., respirations, sleep stats, etc.) and I think it would be great to track such things. I feel like it's cheap of the company to sucker people into buying the newer fit bit versions and then the consumer cannot even take full advantage of the product. The whole gimmick in paying extra for the fit bit's complete features reminds me of music streaming services that people pay for so you don't have to listen to ads; or even buying a pelaton bike and then having to to subscribe for classes. 

Cnitz78
First Steps

I have knowledge of how to use these sensors and am bummed that I am not able to use them all without purchasing premium. I paid extra for the more advanced fitbit and thought that these items would come with it since I paid more, but I paid more for the device and have to pay more to use the device. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Even with premium, the user does not have access to the raw data, and in some cases not even the processes data. But only the graphs. 

Simona.S
Jogger

Absolutely! We paid for the device that collects the data. We should be able to see it.

brandonholt
First Steps

Yes I agree completely. Those saying most users won't know how to use the raw data, that's irrelevant. Let the user decide. Worst case the collection of this data continuously would drain the battery more, but if so, let there be a setting where users can turn this continuous collection on/off based on their need.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Does fitbit even save the raw data?

Stick an XYZ senser, barometer, O2 sensor on the arm. Add an arduino and you have the begin ha of a fitbit. You will get the same raw data to work with. 

If this is not the same as you are asking for, you really want the fitbits processed raw 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It records pulse enough to give a nice graph, if it also at each of those readings or perhaps less frequently read spo2 and saved that, it would be very useful, and if it also measured skin temp at the same time, during the entire day for all these, and recorded that, it would tell the user a lot more than this "no I will only show you data if you sleep 3h plus, and three nights in a row at least...." dren that they currently do. It would let people get a nice idea of how their personal values move with time and what is normal and calibrations could be made with these things and more exact measurements, spo2 at doctor's office and in ear temperature reading to use as calibration tools. I can't make a tiny wearable device with those components that is waterproof, I also don't particularly care about the gps, pay, barometer and xyz sensor personally.

What I do want is raw data and graphs from raw data, and various derivations too, but the derivations/processed data is less important to me personally, raw readings taken say every minute or so would be great.

I already bought this charge 4 with all those useful sensors, it could easily record those raw values, and have the app display them, it of course does not, though there is a lot of data if one exports the data dump, but for some things they have deliberately messed with it to make it averages taken over a long time, as well as computed values that make getting the raw data out hard. I would like that to be fixed. I currently regret buying the charge 4, I can't return it due to covid restrictions on medical devices from the seller, so I guess I will keep it as a reminder not to buy fitbit things in the future, unless they make the software better to allow the hardware's sensors to be used to their full potential.

What I suppose they could still have as premium services though is analysis of the collected data and then give personalized suggestions based on that data and the goals of the subscriber, with useful scientific tips on how to achieve those goals.

Also this raw data mode could be something that is enabled by those who want that, rather than all users, in case that is likely to confuse people, anyway I will stop babbling now.

masterchris
Jogger

Again, this should not only apply to charge trackers, but to all of them; however, I was unable to chose more than one, so here we are.

MLewter
Recovery Runner

Access to all data available from Fitbit devices would be an awesome perk. The app would still be able to function as it does now, but if there was a secondary app where you could set the polling frequency, duration of the continuous polling (min or hrs), readout & logging of the data to a notes file, CSV, or other delimited type of file that could easily be accessed by a third-party app in real-time or however specified by the third party app with iCloud sync would be a great bonus and make us that have supported Fitbit in both money and word of mouth feel like we decided to back the Fitbit company for the right reasons. 

TSLee
Recovery Runner

Yes,

Such features will attract tech-savvy fitness pros.

MoveYourBody
Recovery Runner

I think we can get a lot of pretty raw good data.

I am trying to co-create an Open Source FitBit device and companion app with a matching Flutter App that outputs the 'rawest' data in OSC (Open Sound System) format.

Control a Synth with your heartbeat and cadence.

Any Help or Advice is appreciated

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Go for it @MoveYourBody though I doubt many people will know what to do with the ones and zeros. 

You should think about starting a website and with its own community board. 

Continuing on the feature suggestion board is not the correct place. 

MoveYourBody
Recovery Runner
Thanks!
Why care about many people who don't know?
It's the few that make the difference...

Any technical advice, or sample code?
AvidOttawa
Jogger
Code smode .... all I would like is the blood oxygen reading on demand. Sent from my mobile device
Rich_Laue
Community Legend
MoveYourBody
Recovery Runner
The problem here is that there exists no SPO@ sensor.
There is a led, and a photon detector and your skin.

In pretty noisy environment. Big challenge...

No reliable O2 data can (yet) be distracted when the body is not at rest.

For sure it will come, and I believe, if they could do it, they would do
it, because it would be a huge selling point.
Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.