Access Apps/features During Exercise tracking

When tracking an exercise on the Ionic, you're not able to leave the exercise tracking screen to access the rest of the OS or any other apps. For example, if I were tracking a hike or bike ride and wanted to check the weather, I am unable to access the app to do so. Even more, there are 3rd party apps available to use during a workout but it's not possible to use those apps while tracking your exercise with the Fitbit exercise app. There are plenty of suggestions to add a ski tracking app, but what's the point if you can't track your exercise along with the app?  Fitbit needs to update the OS to allow you to navigate off the exercise screen and open other apps in conjunction. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

112 Comments
MalvernBound
Recovery Runner

I use the IONIC WALKING APP.  While walking and using the APP I would like to be able to go to other functions in the IONIC.  E.g.  Change the Pandora station;  go to Notifications; go to Home Screen, etc.  Currently when in an EXERCISE APP you need to stay in it until finished.  Hopefully this will be improved to allow full use of IONIC while in an APP.  Thank you.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MalvernBound! That’s an interesting idea and could be useful for a lot of users, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

jhillAZ
First Steps

Yes, yes, YES! This is a much needed update. All apps should be accessable and functional while a workout is being tracked.

mpiciul1
Jogger

Mod says it's not possible.  Not sure why though as it should just be software updates and not physical hardware that would have to change to achieve this.  Kind of silly that devs would write the software that way.

See this post: 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Access-Apps-During-Exercise-tracking/idi-p/24451...

maestro285
Stepping Up

The old Pebble would allow you to start a workout and switch apps easily.  Not sure why this is a limitation since the Ionic has more processing power.  I would like to keep a workout routine/list on the watch and reference it while recording a workout.

justingiffard
Stepping Up

Please can you add the ability to minimise the exercise app when you are recording so that other features can be used at the same time

Eg maybe I want to use the stopwatch while Im tracking a workout or use a third party workout app while tracking

ScottKilbo
Strider

I've wanted this for a long time.

TobyM
Jogger

I understand that the exercise app is designed to not allow you to edit the app without first finishing your current exercise.  This severely limits the use of the watch.  For example I am unable to start "Golf" within the exercise app and then use the "Golf GPS" app I downloaded or just simply start a timer or look at the standard watch face.  It would be great if you could exit the exercise app and it carry on working in the background whilst I use other apps.  The timer app works this way.

PDub69
First Steps

I would like the ability to switch to other screens, i.e. music, while I am in the exercise mode.  I currently have to stop the workout on my Versa and then start all over when I go back to the exercise mode.

Jaredfit
First Steps

It would be nice if when you are in exercise mode, you could still use the normal features of the watch. Exercise mode limits the use of the watch extremely! The most frustrating one for me, is not even being able to use my timer and stopwatch on a "fitness watch" while in exercise mode. To have to use my phone, another watch, or device to time myself properly is very frustrating when this is the reason I got the watch. YES, I know I can manually look at the time elapsed of my exercise but that is troublesome and time consuming. I got the watch to use for fitness things. Timing for HIIT workouts and rest times is a huge part of my fitness routine. I wouldn't think this would be a hard feature to add. Sadly been looking at other smart watches just to add this small feature. Please fix this FITBIT. Exercise mode should not completely shut down the overall use of the watch. Thank you.

I'm suggesting this for the versa, as this is the watch I have... but I would think it should be on all Fitbit watches across the board. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Jaredfit! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing. I've moved it into a similar request. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

Kanhir
Jogger

Seconding (or thirding, etc.) this idea. I have timed exercises where I use the Timer app as a countdown timer, but I don't want to have to leave exercise mode to do this.

If we can't switch apps in exercise mode (I guess only one app can be in memory at once), would it be possible to add a quick and dirty countdown timer into the power tray, or even the Exercise app itself?

justingiffard
Stepping Up
See its not a case of one app in memory at a time because you can have a
count down timer and stopwatch running at same time and then still leave
the timer app and do other things so dont know what the issue is
EastBayRunner
First Steps

Once I start an "exercise" on my Ionic, I can't navigate away from said screen.  As a result, I can't change tracks or playlists.  This is very frustrating during my runs.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @gkinfinity and thanks for sharing this suggestion, which has received votes from other community members. I’m happy to let you know that this suggestion has been picked up internally at Fitbit and is being considered by our team. This suggestion will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now. Further updates will be posted here.

Please remember that if a suggestion is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience :). To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this feature suggestion while it is under consideration.

SidBhargava
First Steps

The main reason I upgraded from a fitbit charge 2 was the integration of the spotify app. But after I bought the watch, I realised that I can't use the spotify app when I have my manual workouts running, like treadmill or weights. There should be a feature where I can access the spotify app when my workout are running in the background. 

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @SidBhargava, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about multi-tasking on the Fitbit Versa 2. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

JCGirl
First Steps

Where I work I walk all day and rely on my clock to perform various tasks. I need the seconds to count. My problem is that in Exercise mode the clock doesn't have the seconds. So I have to constantly end my walk exercise to get to my default clock display to count the seconds. This is annoying and stops the tallying of my walk. Can you configure the clock in exercise mode to also show seconds? This would really help people like me who need it. Thank you.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and label

Status changed to: Needs More Info
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for your request @JCGirl.

I just tested different exercises on the Fitbit Versa and they show the seconds passed since the activity started. 

In order to have a better idea of your suggestion, please provide a picture of the exercise you are referring to shown on your Versa display.

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @gkinfinity, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

AaronB14
Jogger

The option to leave the exercise in progress and use other apps like timer and Spotify would be awesome and take the charge 4 to another level! 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @AaronB14, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having access to other apps while tracking exercise on Charge 4. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Zorro77
Jogger

This is crazy right? What is the point of having apps integrated directly onto the fitness tracker if you then can't use those apps during umm... fitness! Come on Fitbit - this is really basic! It's pointless me having the Spotify app on my Ionic if I then have to get my phone out during a run in order to use Spotify!

cr8zy4ever
Jogger

This is so basic, I mean, come on it's a smartwatch. It's really bad that there is no way to access apps like timer spotify etc.. while recording a workout. My Galaxy Fit from 2017 is doing multitasking great.

Stephadventures
First Steps
The point of getting Versa 2 was to control music while we track exercise. Turns out we cannot start a workout on Fitbit to then go back on Spotify for music controls.
Versa 2 is badly advertised.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.