Access Apps/features During Exercise tracking

When tracking an exercise on the Ionic, you're not able to leave the exercise tracking screen to access the rest of the OS or any other apps. For example, if I were tracking a hike or bike ride and wanted to check the weather, I am unable to access the app to do so. Even more, there are 3rd party apps available to use during a workout but it's not possible to use those apps while tracking your exercise with the Fitbit exercise app. There are plenty of suggestions to add a ski tracking app, but what's the point if you can't track your exercise along with the app?  Fitbit needs to update the OS to allow you to navigate off the exercise screen and open other apps in conjunction. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

112 Comments
JuliaRe
First Steps
Seems odd that you cannot toggle back and forth to main clock face and other apps while in Exercise mode screen. For example, allowing one to see the time and view cumulative steps; the weather; change or start music; set an alarm; etc. while still tracking current exercise, say while swimming!

Guy_
Space Racer

HI @JuliaRe -  for info you can only run an App or a Clock face in this version of the OS.

However if you use any of the system functions, such as Music controls, Quick Settings, they can run in addition to what you are currently using.

It may also be possible to configure your exercise to show the time on some watches.

Some of those may help but your idea for multitasking is still a good one.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @JuliaRe, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to access other apps and features while tracking your exercise with us. I noticed that a similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

virtualoren
Jogger

Bumping this. I don't even need all apps, I just want to be able to set a timer during workouts. The whole usefulness of the timers app is that I get a tactile feedback to let me know plank/rest/whatever is over without interrupting my music with some beeping. But being unable to use the timers app in workout mode means I don't use the timers app at all.

Using Charge 5.

breezergirl
Jogger
I just got a Charge 5. I did a lot of research before making my decision. I was disappointed to find that while tracking an activity, you cannot exit out of that activity without completely stopping it. I did not see this mentioned in specs or reviews - you can't see time or access Fitbit Pay - WHY?!
breezergirl
Jogger

Oops, it was brought to my attention in another thread that you can tap hard to get time.  That's great!  

I still don't think you should have to end an activity to use Fitbit Pay.  Go for a walk/run, want buy a drink or something you go past and it ruins your workout stats.  

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @breezergirl, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to access other apps like Fitbit Pay during exercise tracking. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.  I hope to see you around.

Showbone
Jogger

Make it available for Charge 5 user to minimize the workout mode or go back to home menu without clicking the FINISH button.

Tommy2022
First Steps
We need to use the stopwatch while tracking a workout the fact that we cant do that right now is making me think about returning this fitbit tbh. This is like abc user experience. Pretty shocked honestly.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Tommy2022, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having access to "Stopwatch" feature while using exercise tracking on your Fitbit device. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.  

I hope to see you around.

Szlartibart
First Steps

5 years after this issue was raised Fitbit still can't get this option....time for an Apple watch

Steve_Pitts
Stepping Up

Surprised to see that this fairly obvious bit of UX design has remained unresolved for so long, but another vote for the ability to access other screens/apps, especially Fitbit Pay, whilst an exercise is active - in my case on a Fitbit Charge 5

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.