Actionable Insights or coaching

I would like to see something to the effect that Basis or Jawbone does with the actionable insights or coaching on things. It could be simple reminders, tips or anything. I think with the amount of users inputting data the machine learning aspect is huge.

24 Comments
Urbanmom99
Keeping Pace

While evaluating the UP app, I liked the tips that the app provided, e.g. why a park stroll will improve focus or why sitting up straight is beneficial to one's health.

pTim
Stepping Up

Hello,

Correlations (superimposing hrf & steps) has already been suggested, but I think it needs to go even further because:

some data simply isn't visible for the end user.

For exemple

I am currently working to reduce body fat % .. but since last month I gained 2kg of mass and during the last two weeks I decreased my daily energy consumption but increased my "active minutes" (I did more sport but moved less the rest of the time)

I personnaly cannot at a glance see how these parameters might (or not) correlate: I don't even know how long it takes for the sport I do to build muscle and then for this muscle to increase my rest metabolism.

But I'm pretty sure some algorithm could be set up that says: "see here: your curve of sport time and your curve of fat loss are similar with an x days interval"

And this would show me that what I do is actually working.

And this would be greatly motivating!

I'm aware this isn't a short-term request but note this: to my knowledge no other company has been able to offer this depth of analysis so far... might look good to be the first and only 😉

dazzler22
Jogger

I would like to see an alternative wristband as the one supplied has brought me out in huge red welts around the wrist despite changing wrists and leaving off.  A natural fabric or leather would be a great alternative as I have just wasted almost £200

Status changed to: New
AlejandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you for contributing your idea to our Feature Request Board. This post has been archived due to inactivity, and can no longer receive votes or comments. 

svaldesm
First Steps

I know I slept bad last night, but so what? How can I improve? Why did I slept bad?

Fitbit gives me all this huge data, but without any insight on what I should do to improve or what is affecting me.

It could be great to add standard or personalized variables. For example, before going to sleep you add the variables (today I... drank coffee, had a stressful day, drank alcohol, excercised, etc.) and Fitbit can understand what's affecting your sleep by crossing variables.

It could tell you: if you drink coffee, you will sleep worse (with a 90% probability). If you exercise, you will sleep better. If you have a stressful day, your sport performance will be worse. I don't know, smart insights to helps us improve and understand how things affect us.

It can actually give you lots of actionability and insights. Machine learning makes this possible.

For more information you could check the app by Runtastic Sleep Better, which I used before and gives this huge amount of information.

cbeaty816
First Steps

Useful insights for improving your life, health, and habits based you goals, good intake and band data

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Thank you for contributing your idea to our Feature Request Board. This post has been archived due to inactivity, and can no longer receive votes or comments. 

Bluebell84
Keeping Pace

I agree with cbeaty816. Fitbit does a wonderful job at collecting data, but a terrible job of helping the user interpret that into useful information and insights for living a healthier lifestyle. This applies to all facets of the service - sleep, exercise, heart rate, etc. Services like Garmin, Runtastic, and Jawbone do a much better job currently of helping you analyze the data and actually gain some insights from it. Maybe Fitbit Premium is a step in the right direction, but I guarantee that few people are going to pay up for the service unless there is a more seamless integration with the mobile app.

CazGirl
Jogger

It would be amazing to see trends from Fitbit stats to help understand my fitness. E.g-

On the nights you get more sleep you do more steps.

When you drink more water you eat less calories.

etc

Masoolive
First Steps

I love the "Sleep Insights" that I get every day. They are interesting and enable me to compare myself to peers while aiming towards a healthier sleep goal. 

Could these insights be extended to other aspects of the data-log? Steps, hydration, active minutes? 

"Compared to other Fitbit users your age, you took an extra 438 steps every day, on average, every day last week. Happy stepping!" 

This is just an example, with no valid data, but might be the kind of thing us users are interested in knowing. 

I understand that most people sleep the same, but that people have different nutritional requirements and step lengths, etc. which could confound your data. 

Thank you x

RunningAmy
Base Runner

I'm frustrated by limitations of the data displays. My Charge HR collects so much data, it's a shame that more can't be done with it, using fitbit's dashboards.

I've had trouble sleeping lately and would like to see a graph of the Average amount of sleep over time (as a line along with / instead of the Target).

It would also be useful to correlate different metrics, such as exercise with sleep. I think I was overtraining (doing strength training), and want to see whether doing more or less training is better for my sleep and recovery at the moment (and whether easy, short training is better than hard or longer training sessions).

Also would be useful to see how resting heart rate changes, compared to: a) amount of sleep, b) amount of steps, c) amount of activity minutes, d) menstrual cycle. There is clearly some type of monthly cycle where it rises and falls that I would like to understand better, maybe this could be linked with the Clue app?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree that some type of graph to show long term trends and correlations would make the data more useful.  

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Would it be possible for a fitbit user to cross tabulate different data types to check for correlations? For example, to see if on days when I exercise more, I get a higher amount of time in deep sleep? Essentially overlaying the step count data or active minutes data with my sleep data? 

Another example would be to cross tabulate my exercise and/or sleep quality/amount with my weight data over time?

While a manual entry, i.e, click on cross tab weight data with sleep data would be useful, it would be even more useful if fitbit did this automatically to create insights into how one part of a user's lifestyle could be impacting the other part. Like maybe some kind of AI feature that tracks all the datasets and automatically checks for correlations and time lags, this way fitbit can automatically point to increased exercise having a positive/negative impact on sleep or resting heart rate. Or earlier sleep times combined with something else having an impact on weight loss/gain.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Vinks
First Steps

First of all excellent product. 

Suggestions: Fitbit Advicer ( as it knows our daily activity) 

Add advice to drink water , Nutrition wise food advice ( protein rich, carb rich), advice to sleep as you are awake for so long.

So far only advice we get is steps pending.

Implement above Advice & see the difference in sales figures. Its my advice now 😉

Status changed to: Under Consideration
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration.

Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration.

Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

itsabear
Stepping Up

It's kind of crazy Fitbit hasn't done some of these things yet. Some of the integrations should be straightforward, we already get weekly emails with our average step counts, how about making that info visible in real time in the app so we can be constantly improving ourselves (this one is totally feasible).

Same with food intake. It does a nice job of showing where you are in your day, and your average per week, but a graphic with the moving average is the most readily digestable format for this information.

A more complex piece is for female health tracking: correlating step count, exercise, and food intake to the time of the month.

UBall
First Steps

Right now Fitbit and pretty much everyone else, just logs my data. That's not that useful. I can do that with a spreadsheet. I would like to see more specific analysis and insights into my data.

Only one place does this and that is the soon-to-be discontinued Microsoft Health.

Some examples:

• It shows me on which days I perform best and even which times.
  • It suggests if I might be a little heavier than I should be (of course I can still decide for my self), it gives me tips about what I can do about it, should I choose to.
  • It shows me how I'm doing relative to other people like me
  • It shows whether my workouts are improving my current fitness or just maintaining it.

Many other things. That's what provides real value.

Just recording my data? Anybody can do that.

CSherry
Jogger

I'd love it if there were a way to compare different types of data in the fitbit, e.g whether I eat more when I've had less sleep, whether my monthly cycle impacts on how much I exercise, that sort of thing. Insights such as 'you tend to eat more in the evenings when you wake up late' could be really helpful for developing a holistic overview of daily activities and the impact they can have. 

You already have all the data, it's just a case of running correlations. They might not be perfect but could be a really interesting guide.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @CSherry, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

AnthonyLA
Jogger

*Create a sleep/weight correlation graph!

Correlate my sleep and weight graphs to show me if when I've slept more, I've weighed less.

*Mood check-in (with correlation to sleep/exercise)

Option to pop-up questions a few times a day to check in on mood with 5 point scale face emojis. Then draw insights/conclusions/relations connected with sleep and exercise.

*Option to activate "Sleep Insights" survey questions that pop up on your phone with quick/easy answer selection. These insights would allow the app to deliver better data and personalized feedback to user: Ex. "In the past 30 days, when you ate before bed, you slept an average of 42 minutes less."

A few quick (only a few) pre-sleep questions: 1) Did you drink caffeine in the past 6 hours?; 2) Did you eat in the past 3 hours?; 3) Are you more stressed than usual? (questions like that). Then, in the morning, some post-sleep questions: 1) Was the room cool (68 and below)?; 2) Dark?; 3) Did you wake refreshed and alert (vs groggy/headache)?

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @AnthonyLA, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

Status changed to: Released (Premium)
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this suggestion will be released on Fitbit Premium, our new health and fitness subscription service. Paid membership in the Fitbit app leverages insights from 10+ years of Fitbit data plus academic and medical expertise to deliver personalized programs, thousands of workouts, advanced insights, along with new challenges and reports coming soon. Fitbit collaborated with academic and medical experts from Fitbit’s Advisory Panel, which include clinical and exercise psychologists, nutritionists, sleep scientists and more to give you access to a range of tools tailored to you, based on your fitness level, goals, historical data, preferences and schedule. For even more support to help you manage a condition, such as diabetes or weight loss, Fitbit will launch a personal, one-to-one coaching service in 2020, with a limited pilot targeted to roll out later this year.

@ras0710, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing your idea, and thanks to all the voters and commenters for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.