Activities - Add Bike ride / Swimming & do not count steps...

Add a Bike Ride activity and the option to NOT count steps.

Also, when using other 3rd party apps (Digifit, MapMyRide) the step count should be optional. Add a button to use/not use the steps during the activity.

Currently, in order to remove the extraneous, incorrect steps, we have to add an activity (riding in a car or truck) , set it to 0 miles and add the times and calories.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

18 Comments
ChrisCA
Sprinter

@ChrisCA wrote:

Currently, in order to remove the extraneous, incorrect steps, we have to add an activity (riding in a car or truck) , set it to 0 miles and add the times and calories.

and when we add the calories, the correct total calories shows in the dashboard and the iOS app but in Premium, the calories are counted twice.

lisawc
Jogger
I agree add bike ride activity
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

In addition to the above have a start/stop option for the said activity. E.g when going for a drive, go to the phone and select begin driving, when you have completed your journey go to the phone and select end driving. But what would be really great it to be able to do that from the the fitbit flex with a series of taps (like the sleep mode) for e.g. Double tap, double tap = drive mode on, repeating the sequence is drive mode off.

ChrisCA
Sprinter

@SunsetRunner wrote:

In addition to the above have a start/stop option for the said activity.

???

When you start an activity, it already starts it. Same for stopping it.

and you can already adjust the times,

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
RickyFitbit
Cross-Country Runner

Thanks for your suggestion! Once we have more information, we'll update the status. 

nh3030
First Steps

One of my biggest Fitbit frustrations right now. Adding "driving" time is a workaround, it's not a solution to the problem. Really hoping to see this fixed in the next update!

Fase
First Steps

hey guys,

i don't know if we're talking about the same thing here. in the mobile app, under the "track your exercise" tab, there are three criterias:

- walk

- run

- hike

it would be great if they can add "bike", and only to include distance as well as time. currently, i'm choosing "run" whenever i do any biking exercise, which i know is not accurate.

nathanstitt
Jogger

Agree.

Movement during cycling registers as steps.

I log my bike rides as activities, which calculate calories for me, but doesn't suppress those steps. Clearly I'm not stepping, because I've stated that I was cycling.

The usual workarount to avoid extra steps is to log a driving activity. Two problems with that, firstly I don't want to enter the activity twice, as cycling and driving, and secondly, if I do do that, it wipes out the calories estimated for the bike activity.

puregto
Jogger

It should be fairly simple to eliminate step count when in bike mode on the Surge. Just switch off steps when watch is in bike mode. Even though Fitbit tech says a few steps won't hurt the count, My Surge registers thousands of steps on a minimal bike ride-5-6 mi. mountain bike, 15 or so road miles.

Again, this should be an easy firmware update.

Jim Crouse

derboti
First Steps

Since the "driving" activity is able to negate falsely counted steps it should be super simple to do the same negation for "biking" activities. I don't understand how no developer has looked into this yet.

Do add this option with all the non step based activity! it is ridicolous that a bodyweight workout is quantified with steps!

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please, please, please stop logging steps for when a cycling activity is logged. Physical exertion is already being monitored. Counting steps as well (when it's actually bumps in the road impacting on the watch through handlebars) is leading to false steps and counting extra calories as burned when they weren't.

This is ruining my trust in Fitbit accuracy. My Charge2 did this by default.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Currently this feature is not planned. 

rjk5
Recovery Runner
We should have the option to disable step tracking during certain exercises, such as cycling, or swimming (or maybe all recorded activities).
Mattie725
Jogger

I quite like the 'step' tracking while cycling. Otherwise I would have days that I ride for 100km and then my Fitbit would say I didn't get my steps...

But as with alot of options, a switch could satisfy everyone!

rjk5
Recovery Runner

That's fair, I guess,I just like the option. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @rjk5, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to stop tracking steps when biking or swimming. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.