Add Canoeing/Kayaking/Paddle Boarding as an Exercise Shortcut

Hi,

Just taken delivery of my Surge and am loving it! One thing I'd like to see is Kayaking/canoeing added as an activity on the Surge. As it is water resistant and splash proof (and you shouldn't be getting that wet!), this should be OK. I am particularly interested in the tracking opportunities offered by the repetitive arm movement - this should be easy for the Surge to recognise and would enable some really great stats - strokes per minute, strokes taken etc, and combined with the GPS function you could work out stroke efficiency, distance per stroke and maybe even give feedback on how well the stroke is done (e.g. more vertical entry v's sloppy strokes).

Could be a quick win for the developers?

Many thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

246 Comments
ckephartboo
Jogger

I agree that to be able to add those would be a great improvement. I went Kayaking and used the biking to try to log the miles and it tracked my course but I don't think that it gave a good read out of what was really happening.

This in my book would be a Huge Quick win for the developers!

Thanks

MichelleABWebb
First Steps
Thrilled that biking is now an exercise option. Would REALLY like kayaking to be a choice.
CobraNutt
Jogger

I concur!  This would be great as I plan on spending a lot of time on the water this year! 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

MobileRun is a useful application for more activities than just walk/run/hike.  Even non-stepped based applications like kayaking or sea kayaking benefit from proper reporting from the gps tracking utilized in MobileRun.  THis would allow all excercise data to accumulate correctly in a central location and could give more accurate estimations on calorie and step equivilient.

FloridaSteve
First Steps

I agree.  I kayak often and tracking this would be great.

sunny_daze
First Steps

I agree!!!

Sunkan
Jogger

Yes please! Add Kayak/Paddling/SUP to surge.

Sunkan
Jogger

I agree. Have also tried Bike, but doesn't meet the needs. Kayak/canoeing/paddling/sup added to Surge please.

wepedersens
First Steps

I would also like paddling/kayaking added.  I have no idea how many calories it takes for an hour of such exercise.

OttawaLynn
First Steps

I am in my canoe often in the summer and none of the existing categories seems to work as I would hope. My Surge tracked my course and heart rate, but not strokes or distance.

CobraNutt
Jogger
It's not ideal, or perfect, but I've installed the Endomondo app on my phone. It has a kayak activity tracker, and it kinda ties into the Fitbit app as far as workout information is concerned when you link them. I do like the app because it creates a great map, and and you add photos of you desire. It also shares with Facebook if you choose to do so. Like I said...it's not perfect, but until Fitbit gets us a paddling tracker, this works for me. You do need to keep your phone with you add it uses it for gps...some may have an issue with that. I keep mine in a waterproof bag inside a zippered pocket on my pfd.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I wore my Surge on a 3 day kayak trip, and the bike function seemed to work well. If I could just edit the title like you are able to with workout, if would be cool. I like the map tracking, the distance travelled, and the average speed. 

On another note, I spent the 3 days at sea level, but my floors climed stats were 2-3 times higher than typical. We camped on the beach. 48-33 floors per day. I wonder if the cyclical arm motion, or the bobing of the kayak on the swells was overstating that number? 

jtcredle
Jogger
It would be great to have a Paddling mode added to the Surge to track Paddling for kayaking. I utilize the GPS to track trips but a fine tuned mode to track strokes and convert to equivalent steps would be a great feature. Even better would be tracking for paddle cadence and if possible stoke analysis.
releasethebats
First Steps

Tha addition of Kayaking as a shortcut would be an excellent thing.I can manually log it without GPS....which is quite a crucial part....so not really that good.

arkaycee
Runner

Yes! Even a simplistic average based on each "step" being a stroke, along with GPS. I can see complications due to kayaking in current (if you're moving only 0.5 mph but stroking a lot, are you inefficiently stroking, or are you paddling upstream against a current and getting a real workout?), but a GPS and number of "steps" (=strokes) and the usual would be fantastic.

arkaycee
Runner

BTW, I see at least three other requests for this; everyone should do a search and upvote them all. I wish there were a way I could see to mark requests as duplicates to combine votes.

arkaycee
Runner

Yes! There are a few separate requests for this; I don't see an easy way to report dups offhand, so search for and upvote them all I guess.

arkaycee
Runner

Yes! There are a few separate requests for this; I don't see an easy way to report dups offhand, so search for and upvote them all I guess.

runsi
First Steps

I would also love to see this being included in the activities that can be tracked. There are many kayakers out there and I am sure that every one of us would like to properly track our trips!

Sbizzel
First Steps
Hey,

It'd be really useful to have a designated activity tracking function for canoeing/ kayaking. Main feature would be GPS tracking to provide distance/ pace data. Appreciate calorie calculation is more tricky but a rough figure should be possible from HR & height/weight stats already entered,
Any plans to implement this?

Cheers
matt9013
Sprinter

Would love to have this option. Shouldn't be to hard to program in like you said. Just give us GPS for pace/distance.

Ccordray
Recovery Runner
As an avid canoeist I would welcome this feature!
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LucyAP
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for sharing this idea with us! I like this idea a lot! I can see myself using it every weekend.

Thanks again for sharing and please keep participating in the Feature Request board! 

CobraNutt
Jogger
Make it happen for us Lucy!!! PLEASE! 🙂
Willem
First Steps

Out on the lake for the first time this year. I tried using the hike function for kayaking: the reading was 1.26km after I had paddled for 50 minutes. I am guessing the correct distance was closer to 5km and the map reflected my route. I also seemed to have a serious change in elevation.  Is there a |Surge update in the offing?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.