Add Canoeing/Kayaking/Paddle Boarding as an Exercise Shortcut

Hi,

Just taken delivery of my Surge and am loving it! One thing I'd like to see is Kayaking/canoeing added as an activity on the Surge. As it is water resistant and splash proof (and you shouldn't be getting that wet!), this should be OK. I am particularly interested in the tracking opportunities offered by the repetitive arm movement - this should be easy for the Surge to recognise and would enable some really great stats - strokes per minute, strokes taken etc, and combined with the GPS function you could work out stroke efficiency, distance per stroke and maybe even give feedback on how well the stroke is done (e.g. more vertical entry v's sloppy strokes).

Could be a quick win for the developers?

Many thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

246 Comments
mfullererie
Recovery Runner
Add Kayaking as one of the exercises with the GPS function
Livia
Jogger
I will like to record my kayaking with gps information
runsi
First Steps
Hi, I found that the Bike function logs distance and speed, but it is then logged as a bike exercise and not as kayaking.

I guess if the same algorithm was used as for biking under a name "Kayaking" the needed separation would be in place.

Regards,
Rune
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
Oddiboy83
First Steps
Would love kayak as an activity. Please make that option.
drstephenlee
First Steps

Would love this feature too! Please add!

GaryWilliams
First Steps

Please add kayaking. I am a surfski paddler and race kayaks. Tracking training alsong day to day health stats would be incredibly valuable rather than using a separate app on the water. 

jcanter107
First Steps

I would LOVE to see a kayaking option! Why don't we have it yet?

DJS-3
First Steps

Consider adding kayaking to the Blaze exercise options.

ACJansen
First Steps

Please add kayaking.

DeutschMeister
Recovery Runner

Just about a 1.5 years since this thread started and still no rowing / kayak excercise option added to the Surge?  Please see if this can be added so I can track my kayak days to understand strokes, distance, calaries burned, etc., etc.

PowderMiller
First Steps

With the growth of kayaking, stand up paddle boarding and canoeing, paddle-sports would be a natural activity for Fitbit to track.  Please consider a dedicated activity or at least a modified cycling logarithm.  Thanks!

JayArrEss
Jogger

I agree on the Kayaking.  This is one of my favorite things to do in the summer.  I was out on the water all day Saturday and my Blaze showed 6 active minutes.  My arms and core will tell you something different!  Please - add kayaking/paddle sports to Blaze.  That would be a great addition!

ACJansen
First Steps

Adding kayaking would be a great feature!

Moderator edit: Removed personal information.

arkaycee
Runner

... "As provided for in U.S. Treasury regulations, any advice relating to federal taxes that is contained in this communication cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code."

Like I always say, you can't kayak your way out of tax evasion. 🙂

(Oh, I see the modertaor removed the personal info...)

PowderMiller
First Steps

Today I used the Run function instead of Hiking, while doing my morning paddle. Though "Running" is still a very basic representation of the workout from the steps, calories, etc. perspective, the km count was far more accurate than that of the hike function, for the same route. A dedicated feature would be great.

+1 even if to start Kayak or Paddle was a copy of Bike (which others say seems to work) and not Walk... Tried that on a 4 mi paddlle and Surge recorded 0.31 mi despite the tracked map looking pretty good.
Willem
First Steps
I was told by a FitBit administrator that they will not add kayaking
because it is a water sport and the FitBit is not waterproof. Makes sense.
I get very anomalous results when I wore my Surge: ascend and descend quite
a bit on a flat lake! The GPS works fine but the distances are iffy.

Cheers

--
Willem Semmelink
CobraNutt
Jogger
Poor excuse...the surge is water resistant, and mine never gets wet in my
kayak. I don't do rivers...only flat water, but still. I've logged a
couple hundred miles without destroying my Surge. You're right about the
altitude though. I gain or drop 40-50 feet...on a FLAT lake! Lol! Oh
well...this is why I use Endomondo to keep track of my paddling.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I went out in the boat today - I had notice that if I'm paddling with purpose I get credit for steps - so I tried tracking today with the GPS to get a distance for the paddle - I selected WALK as the excercise mode.  While the map trace appeared accurate, the distance calculation must be based on steps and not GPS - so while I was out for 3.5-4 miles, The Fitbit Blaze said .85 miles.

It would seem that if tracking by GPS it would use GPS data to calculate distance.  Until kayaking is an option, would logging it as bicycling give an accurate distance?

DJS-3
First Steps

Good suggestion on the bicycle option.I'll give it a try.

It just seems to me that it wouldn't bee too difficult. I have a phone App (Cario Trainer -- worksmartlabs.com) that tracks kayaking. It provides map, distance & calories.

Daryl

milestogo
First Steps

I agree. I paddle frequently and would love for kayaking to be added on my fitbit. I recently did a 42 mile paddle that did not show up on my fitbit. I manually added - but it's not the same....

ChipFallsLisa
Jogger

I've used both Walk and Bike for kayaking, and neither are really as accurate as I would like. Please look into adding this, Fitbit!

Water-rat
Jogger

I use bike and it appears to be accurate with distance and speed. Very accurate with GPS tracking but altitude is not - weird - unless Sydney Harbour has hills in it!!!!!!!

YES ..... To adding kayaking!!!!!!!👍

arkaycee
Runner

Ahh yes, Sydney Harbour, one of the few places in the world where one can go downhill waterskiing? 🙂

Sharonjm
First Steps

I'd love to be able to see kayaking/canoeing as an activity on a Charge 2

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.