Add Rucking (back packing with weights) to Exercise

It would be nice to have a ruck/rucking option for tracking/logging your exercise. This option may also include back packing. The general idea is that you are walk/running with a weighted pack. This is performed in the military no less that once a week in nearly every unit in active duty army. I could also see this as a useful function for avid campers who like to do a lot of hiking and camping.

It would be great if the feature tracked/calculated:

1. distance

2. weight of the pack

3. time/pace

to get the total calories burned.

I mentioned this in the general forums where i learned about creating your own work out, but this option only accounts for time and distance and you have to input the calories you think or calculated yourself that you burned. 

15 Comments
Nspens
First Steps

A workout called ruckmarching. It would use the same format as hiking, but it would have an section for adding the weight for the ruck. It would also need to track the calories burnt as well.

Status changed to: New
MariamV
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you for contributing your idea to our feature suggestion board! This post has been archived due to inactivity, and can no longer receive votes or comments.

xeroxs2k11
Jogger

For instance today, i went on a 3.25 mile ruck with a 60 pound pack and occasional running. Some of the climbs were up a 14% grade for 500 ish meters. according to my fitbit, i was moving at an average pace of 19'28". Calories burned is only 550 total. 

According to Healthstatus.com, add 60 pounds to my weight (to account for the ruck weight), i should have burned 875, and that i only accounts for back packing on level ground. That is 325 calories burned that are not accounted for. 

Here is another link to a military attempt to answer this question as well http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitness-requirements/rucking-calories-burned 

10brija
First Steps

I am looking for any exercise that will allow me to track my distance, pace, calories burned and the amount of weight in my rucksack. We and my coworkers call it a ruck march

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

In recent years I have gotten into rucking (goruck.com events, etc.).  I think it would be a great exercise to be able to track seeing it is basically walking with weight and counting steps.  However, to make it great if you could enter the weight you are carrying and have that affect the calories burned on your walk it would make the device more appealing to a whole crowd of exercisers.

thanks,

John

Tommytootall
Jogger
Can we please add rucking to the list of exercises with an added weight section also?
I know a lot of people ruck and would be quite impressed by having this on their tracker. I also think that it would set the company apart and drive more sales. Please let's do it!
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Tommytootall, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to add Rucking exercise. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. 

To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

JAT64
First Steps
Rucking (walking/hiking with a weighted back pack) is becming increasingly popular. It's a great exercise. It would make it much easier to differentiate walks and hikes from Rucks. Thanks.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @JAT64, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding Rucking (back packing with weights) to exercise shortcuts. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support. 

While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

quant
First Steps

Add additional/carried weight increments (via drop-down or free entry in regional or pounds or kilograms) to walking and track work output/ level of effort more accurately when rucking. Call the exercise "Rucking"

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @quant, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding Rucking to the Exercise app with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Edward_AL
First Steps
Please add the ability to track a rucking session with the additional weight that is being used to increase the calories burnt.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Edward_AL, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about adding Rucking to the Exercise app with us. I noticed this product feedback was already requested in this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.