Altimeter to the next charge version

Moderator edit: Clarified subject and updated label
16 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Coldasice, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding an altimeter to future Fitbit Charge series versions with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

gimmetheprize
First Steps

I wouldn't have upgraded to a Charge 5 if I had known it wouldn't count flights of stairs.  Why on earth would you drop a useful feature?  I'll probably see if I can salvage my old Charge 2.

JTA12
Stepping Up
Fitbit Charge 5 doesn't have the altimeter feature and for those of us who can't wear the larger devices because of skin irritation, it would nice to have it on future smaller devices.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @JTA12, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding altimeter to future Charge series versions. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Solarguy
Jogger

I want to echo my protest about the missing altimeter on the Charge 5. Admittedly, I didn't confirm the feature before purchasing, but it looked like it had everything my Charge 2 had and more. Why would you drop this?? That was part of my exercise routine to get >10 flights of stairs in every day. And also track my climbs when hiking. This feels like a downgrade - would you expect me to buy the superseded Charge 4 instead??

Ozru
First Steps
I had two Charge 3s, and I'm currently using a Charge 4. I just talked a friend into buying a Charge 5, and I was very disappointed that the altimeter, and thus stair flight counter, was gone. Please include one in a future tracker. I have a strong disincentive to upgrade now, and will be babying my Charge 4 to make it last as long as possible.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Ozru, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding the altimeter to future Charge series versions with us. I noticed a similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Oohlala
First Steps

I joined this forum specifically so I could request the charge 5 have the altimeter added. I was all set to buy my first fitness watch and it was this one. Then I happened to discover no altimeter, no ability to count steps. Also I hike. How does it affect that? Very disappointed. Now I have to start my search again.

Sera7792
Jogger
I have a Charge 4. I delayed upgrading hoping the Charge 6 would have an altimeter. My Charge 4 has subsequently stopped working, tech support of no help. So now I have no device. And I see the Charge 6 is ready for pre-order and still no altimeter. Why would you remove this feature? The Charge series was excellent otherwise. Lost a customer now.
lmiapn
First Steps

Totally Agree!  I also have a Chrage4, never upgraded to Charge 5, specifically because of the lack of altimeter...  I deceided to delay until Charge 6 came out, and now I see its the same problem...  At this stage, until this feature comes back, I am done with Fitbit!

Maltie
Strider

I still have a working Charge 4 but the NEW APP makes it almost impossible to use the altimeter feature. It sets the goal at 10,000 floors daily.  To reduce that to something genuinely possible you have to hit a minus key 10,000 times.  Who can bother with something that absurd?

They want to insure you stop counting floors no matter what device you have.

Google likes to sell stuff BUT all they do is remove features. Pay more and get less quality and less service

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Sera7792, thanks for sharing this suggestion about bringing back the altimeter to future Charge devices with us. This idea was already requested in this board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support and keep adding your suggestions!

ChrisFrohlich
Recovery Runner
Add the altimeter back to the Charge 6
Northeast
First Steps

Agreed.  Why would you remove a metric that is integral to exercise & fitness. Very disappointing. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ChrisFrohlich, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about adding the altimeter back to Charge 6 with us. I noticed this product feedback was already requested on this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

jrc123
First Steps

Couldn't agree more, an altimeter is basic as far as I am concerned. In fact I had just ordered a charge 6 to "upgrade" from my charge 4 when I saw all the discussion on this. I have cancelled the order and will not be buying the 7 either unless the altimeter returns. Why upgrade to something that is a downgrade? Such a shame, have been using fitbit charge in its various versions for circa ten years, does (or did) everything I wanted in a slim package.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.