Add control music to Charge 5

Provide Bluetooth media controls for Charge series fitbit devices
Essential functions: Play, Pause, Next Track, Previous Track
Preferred, but optional controls (may need UI considerations): Vol up, Vol Down, Mute/Unmute

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

27 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi there! Thanks for sharing those ideas. We wanted to let you know that some of the ideas you recently posted already exists on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see it here where you can add your vote:

Add control music function to Charge 3

Control music for other apps on Charge 4

You also had shared a unique suggestion, so we have retitled and relabelled your original post here to reflect that idea. Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable, and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions and watch this space for status updates.

For others that are upvotong this but aren't leaving any feedback, I'd like to invite you to a discussion: there are already messages sent from the Fitbit charge 5 (and I assume from other charge series devices too) already, such as:

• Clear notifications
  • Open apps
  • Send text replies (WhatsApp, etc)
  • Etc.

So, we already know that Bluetooth communication from the charge 5 to the phone is possible. However, bluetooth media control seems to be a basic function for all Bluetooth enabled devices e.g. Bluetooth speakers, remotes etc., It is just mind boggling why the charge does not have this functionality, and added that the use case is frequent e.g. when running/working out, you want a quick way to control music without getting your phone out, it is even more absurd.

I am not talking about a specific app integration for Spotify or Apple Music, Google play etc.

I am talking about the generic Bluetooth media ccontrol function that will control any media application on the smartphone.

This is a generic Bluetooth message, why is this basic requirement not met? 

I have been working in the consumer electronics industry for about five years and I am puzzled by this decision. While I do accept that some UI considerations may be hard to consider e.g. placement of controls or way in which to control, but I am sure you can just do two buttons per screen, vol+/vol-, prev/fwd, play+pause, mute/unmute for a quick and easy implementation.

Please, are there any product managers or developers reading this????? Even the community manager has replied that this suggestion has already been offered for charge 3 and 4, and developers still don't get the hint?????

Kelvinkung
Jogger

Again this is very basic, we can’t control music app on Charge 4 whilst we could on Charge 4, ridiculous!

Erika235
First Steps

Agreed. I was very surprised my Charge 5 does not support controlling music from the phone. 

Erika235
First Steps

Sorry, my previous entry was meant to read that I was surprised that I cannot control music from my Charge 5 watch when exercising. 

Kelvinkung
Jogger

I meant couldn’t control music at all on my Charge 5.

Zimuz
Jogger

This needs to be added asap in my opinion, charge 4 is able to do it, so why taking a step back from it? 

Emmangination
First Steps

Media Controls on a $100+ device, please.

Salvaph
First Steps

Basic media controls are a given for most bands nowadays. Even Chinese and Korean competitor brands have this. I think an industry leader such as fitbit would be the example on innovation. 

FalconZA
First Steps

This really is a basic feature that needs to be supported.

Leazz
First Steps

I'm very upset that i cannot have a feature that is on every 50€ smartband on my 200€ one. Still cannot understand why fitbit didn't want to add a feature so relevant like this in a premium smartband. Hope this will change otherwise i wont buy another version of this band.

Devsdobetter
Jogger

The corporate people have no interest in adding media controls to their "mid-level" products.  You are expected to pay much more to have basic functionality like that.  Instead of a functional fitness band I have a basic one with a bunch of useless garbage stuffed into an overly congested app.  Please prove me wrong.  

FalconZA
First Steps

It makes sense though, they wouldn't wanna steal what little sales the already failed Google Pixel Watch was going to have by adding features to the Charge 5. Back to Garmin for me.

TTUChris
First Steps

I see it as rather inexcusable that there is no audio control from the watch. I work in healthcare and my employer is currently testing fitness trackers to give to customers. I personally use a Garmin (that has audio controls) but agreed to give Fitbit a try. This is pretty much a deal-breaker. Being able to pause or skip right from the wrist is SO handy. Can they at least give us an idea of whether it's even being considered?

Aduane78
First Steps

The $35 me band that I replaced with $130 Fitbit to control my music. This is a basic feature. It needs to be added. I'm seriously considering sending the Charge 5 back because of this.

d.barboutis
Jogger

Yes, we need this!

Play/Pause, Next, Previous, Vol Up, Vol Down - pleaseeee!

Leazz
First Steps
Still upset, Fitbit didn't take a single step to try to satisfy the community regarding this
JeremeSanders
Jogger

Let’s get the charge 5 a basic music control app please!!

Danber
First Steps

I have been an avid Fitbit customer since they came out and this is the first time I am switching brands. Recently just finding out that they now discontinued Spotify controls on the Charge 5... Whaaat?! I subscribed to Spotify strictly to use with my Charge 4. The fact that other music streaming apps are not available, let alone BASIC Bluetooth music control, is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable in this day and age. C'mon Fitbit, really? I just purchased a competitor's brand at half the cost and it had more capabilities then the new Charge? I don't know how developers aren't taking this into consideration when this has been a highly discussed and requested feature for years. It's mind boggling to me... How is it that good (I'd settle for descent) music controlling functions are not worked into a fitness watch?! Workouts and music go hand in hand... So one would think. Anyway, I guess this ends my run with Fitbit. 

Aduane78
First Steps

@DanberI'm right there with you. The charge 5 is my first fitbit. If I had realized prior to buying it that I couldn't control my music from it I would have stuck with a Mi band for half the price with expanded functionality. Most people I talk to assume that the downturn in feature support is due to Google's purchase of Fitbit.

ciaron23
First Steps

Music controls have been an option for years in cheaper bands, i don't understand removing the Spotify controls if you're not going to replace it with generic music controls. Like... Come on-- at least *try* to play ball with maybe a YouTube music  control feature. 

It's stuff like that the frustrate with Google purchases and products.

R.a.P
First Steps

Can't believe after purchasing my Fitbit charge 5 i find that I can't control my music. Spend $200 bucks for this non sense

Leazz
First Steps
The thing that makes me angry is that in every review you check online they keep this data hidden.
The worst thing is discovering this when you turn on your device for the first time.
Bought 1 year ago, gonna change it this Christmas.
MarinaDray
First Steps

Please allow music control on Charge 5, will be super handy!

Aquahonoredhi
Recovery Runner

Personally, I find the fact that a smart watch over 100 bucks should at least have some basic media controls

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.