Add custom notes to Sleep Log or Rate Sleep

In order to effectively use the sleep log to improve sleep quality, I think it might be helpful to be able to annotate each log entry with comments about things that might affect sleep quality (eg alcohol consumption, use of sleeping tablet, late caffeine intake, late exercise, meditation/ relaxation, consumption of unusual foods etc). Then, on review of several weeks/ months of sleep logs, patterns may become evident.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

295 Comments
GavinRR
Jogger

I would love to be able to add custom data to my sleep log to help me diagnose sleep issues. 

For instance - add a list of sleep variables (e.g big meal, late excercise, important event tomorrow, drunk alcohol....). All factors that can impact sleep.

i can them select multiple variables against a nights sleep.

then I can see a report that maps my sleep stages onto these variables. For instance, the “drunk alcohol” may show an average lower R.E.M. sleep.

Or the variables could be a subset of a global list - this way you could also provide benchmark results against variables.

thanks 🙂

air1dpt
Jogger

I second this idea. As we get older, sleep becomes more elusive and variables that didn't used to make a difference, suddenly do. For instance, I eliminated caffeine after 1pm and noticed that my sleep pattern improved. The other day, I had a beer later in the evening and I could tell the impact to my sleep. I think the power with tracking our sleep pattern is to examine trends over time. This suggested modification might give us a better view into others experiences as well. The age benchmark is a nice feature but what if we could see information like, certain foods or drinks causing issues with sleep patterns based on data that we enter in the app and make available to others.  Thanks for the suggestion GavinRR. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thank you very much for sharing your ideas with the Forums @GavinRR. I could definitely see how it could be relatively useful. 

Let's see what other users have to say about it.

jltrask
Recovery Runner

I would love to have a place to add personal comments - especially for sleep tracking - to add that this night I used Ambien, or used specific essential oils to help with sleep, or to track bedtime routine, etc.  Has anyone else suggested this?

KnowNoThing
First Steps

It would be neat to be able to add notes to the sleep section, for example drank last night, or woke up with migraine, things like that.

Thank you.

Richard

Shehulk1
First Steps

I was just searching for how to do this and was disappointed to find out it's not an option yet.  Please add!

Cooly
First Steps

How has this not been built yet.

mariolucas
Recovery Runner

Just a suggestion...It would be nice to be able to enter notes in the sleep tracker option, ie - took a sleeping pill, drank herbal tea before bed, listened to white noise while sleeping, did yoga before bed, stressful day at work, etc. It would be nice to be able to track what works well or not so well.

Sylvie_France
First Steps

Yes, I world definitely appreciate to be able to add notes to each sleep record. Free notes of course, but also tags. Having the possibility to create my own tags and add some of them to each sleep record. Medicines, sport, coffee,  light or heavy dinner, walk before going to bed... Thanks!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, something to let us be able to analyze the sleep and use this to apply and improve sleep. Notes would be great, additional data collected as the other folks have suggested. Thanks.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, please! This is the third thread I've agreed to Notes be added and that more analysis be added. If you combine these similar threads, certainly you can see that we are wanting basically the same thing. Is there any work being done on this??? Thanks. 

lexygirl0
First Steps

I think it would be helpful if you were able to place a note next to each night sleep to say if you needed assistance in going to sleep what you did. Took Sleepytime tea, Drank Alcohol, Took Melatonin, played Radio, Watched TV. This way you would be able to track the trends.

Jess_H
First Steps

Yes please! In the sleep log, a blank notes section, and /or even some quick add selections would be great! I would like to be able to log factors that affect my sleep (ie. caffeine, noise, temperature, anxiety, pain, sickness, etc.), as well as how I feel when I wake up in the morning. 

Jess_H
First Steps

This would be wonderful!There are days I get nine hours of sleep and wake up feeling exhausted and there are days where I get six hours of sleep and I wake up feeling better than when I get more sleep. I’d like a way to be able to note that. 

kajalbr
First Steps

Is significant the quality of my sleeping if I´m in the silence of a farm or if did a meditation before go to bed. Or had a drink at dinner. For one week is easy to remember what happened and compare but should be interesting to have a short label every night to remind us. Thanks if you add this feature.

corwinofamber
Base Runner

There is no question this would be incredibly useful. The number of reasons to label the log are numerous, per the previous posters. Different conditions, medications, supplements, or use of sleep assisting devices (cpap, dental appliances, mouthguards). Particularly great would be if you had tags or checkboxes for the data points entered, so users could see "ah, I used cpap X days for X hours, and these are the results of those days" or "ah, I took melatonin on days 4-6, here are those results", etc. Otherwise you've got to notate it yourself elsewhere.

You could get even fancier with charts and data point correlation, but I think the above would at least be a start. : ) 

There are clearly other brands and web sites trying to help people track all this data, but I consider Fitbit to be ahead of the curve in terms of getting peoples' biometric data automatically entered, and frankly keeping track of every data point manually is already a very tall order. (e.g example: patientslikeme.com; lets you manually track meds taken, their effects, general everyday moods, feelings, pain, bloodwork, see them all in chart format. But entering all of that all the time would basically consume your existence). 

At present I use Fitbit, synced with Cronometer (for food/supplement/water input).

sivadiva
First Steps

Ditto, I would like to be able to flag days where I had late caffeine or alcohol. So I can then maybe filter and compare Ave sleep patterns after alcohol v no alcohol. 

SWood47
First Steps

Could you please add a “Notes” section to the sleep log? I would like to be able to make notes regarding any factors that would effect sleep quality. Another thing that I would like to note in this suggested section is dreams. Sometimes I remember my dreams sometimes I don’t but it would be interesting to see what sleep stage I was in before waking. Last night the app shows I was in REM before I woke up. I remember my dream and would like to record what I remember with my sleep data. Thank you for consideration of this suggestion. 

Mikkopai
Jogger

I had this over all rating in the Microsoft Band and it was really fun to compare the results with my wife in the morning. We had a regular sleep competition going. This would be good to have again, the information should be all there from the great device (Ionic) but the app needs a bit of work.

saburo
Jogger

Please add facility in user sleep log to add short notes such as:

"Took sleeping pill"

"Drank coffee too late"

"Exhausted from exercise"

"Had to work late"

This will be useful when looking at different sleep stages in graph.

Thanks!

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @saburo! Thank you for sharing your suggestion. Because your idea is very similar to this one I moved your suggestion here. Please do not forget to give kudos by clicking on the thumbs up button.

IT1
First Steps

It would be nice to add short notes to various objects, such as your sleep tracking (so you could enter variables like room temp, pillows, diet, etc.) or the homepage (so you can specify something that happened that day, motivation, etc.).

Skyman
First Steps

It would be really useful if there was a way we could add notes to our daily sleep patterns. That way if there was medication or diet changes we could see how it affects our sleep.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Skyman! Thank you for sharing your suggestion. The idea exists already, so I merged your suggestion into this one. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

A note feature on sleep data would be extremely useful. Im disappointed this hasn't been added, yet has been discussed for 3 years. Im using my fitbit solely for the sleep data currently, I really would like this feature. Its actually a make or break detail for me, I may return my fitbit because of this, still deciding. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.