Add custom notes to Sleep Log or Rate Sleep

In order to effectively use the sleep log to improve sleep quality, I think it might be helpful to be able to annotate each log entry with comments about things that might affect sleep quality (eg alcohol consumption, use of sleeping tablet, late caffeine intake, late exercise, meditation/ relaxation, consumption of unusual foods etc). Then, on review of several weeks/ months of sleep logs, patterns may become evident.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

295 Comments
SWETTS
Jogger

Adding sleep comments does seem to be a great product enhancement and, to the uninitiated, a straightforward fix. I'd be interested to know from Fitbit, what's preventing you implementing this simple and potentially life-changing improvement?

Skyman
First Steps

I see it's been suggested 3 years ago.... Perhaps fit bit doesn't care what we - the consumer wants, it's been too long , maybe we should all do what has been suggested and return them , after all, sleep tracking was the main reason for my purchase.my phone does as good if not better job of tracking steps .Come on Fitbit listen to your people and add this !!

Ondy
First Steps

I heartily support the idea of annotating the sleep log. I was directed to this thread when I sent the following message to fitbit:

"I would really like to be able to add notes to my sleep log so that I can see patterns between lifestyle or conditions and the quality and quantity of my sleep. For example, if I don't sleep at home, or a thunderstorm is pounding on my my skylight at night, or I take an herbal supplement before bed, or I've had an alcoholic drink. I think the ability to add notes to the sleep log would be a useful feature."

caffeinejolt
Jogger

I could not agree more - the ultimate benchmark for sleep is how you feel the next day - are you well rested/energized or completely exhausted.  This information is completely absent currently.  It would be great, if we could then filter by the past X days or great sleep or bad sleep - so we can look for patterns to help us decipher how to get better sleep more consistently.  I also agree that adding notes could be useful here as it would allow us to add more details which otherwise might be lost.

focohare
Jogger

I love the option to add details in the female health tracking screen, but what I'd really like is to add details to the sleep screen. As I'm tracking sleep night to night I'd like to be able to add details that would help me make life changes to get better sleep. Thanks!

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @focohare, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Please do not forget to vote by clicking on the thumbs up button.

jltrask
Recovery Runner
Where does this feature exist?  I have not seen anywhere to log notes along with my sleep stats!  If you have added it, that's great!  Thanks!
lexygirl0
First Steps

I think she just meant the suggestion already exists... Im still waiting....

Spacecrusader
Jogger

I agree, the option to add a note to my sleep log would be very welcome!

I've only had my Fitbit for a week, and so far I've gotten the impression that feature requests are not turned into reality. I hope I got it wrong, there are enough Adobes and Microsofts in the world.

mariolucas
Recovery Runner

You are correct, nothing is ever done with requests about updating features. They all go into a big dark hole. 😞  Nary a feedback ever from Fitbit.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Excellent idea and agree. Being able to compare subjective rating of tiredness to the sleep data Fitbit automatically tracks would be quite valuable. Otherwise, it's hard to know what exactly all the numbers that are being tracked imply for my subjective experience. 

If Fitbit can add machine learning to correlate these subjective rating to the objective measures it takes, that would be even better!

Jordosoccerman
First Steps

The simplicity of the Fitbit sleep tracking is really nice but it would be incredible if you could add sleep notes before you go to sleep or after you wake up and then assign them values based on the percentage of sleep you get that night. The Sleep Cycle app which I use does this and gives the user a breakdown of how certain added notes affect sleep. For example: +4% Sleep quality with Reading Before Bed, -5% sleep quality with Drinking Beer Buzzed, etc. It's extremely helpful to track down how certain trends affect sleep.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Jordosoccerman, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here.

SWETTS
Jogger

Reposting my comment of 05/11/2018 in the hope of an answer from Fitbit: 

'Adding sleep comments does seem to be a great product enhancement and, to the uninitiated, a straightforward fix. I'd be interested to know from Fitbit, what's preventing you implementing this simple and potentially life-changing improvement?'

LisaD3
First Steps

I’ve been looking at other tracking apps. Right now, I use fitbit primarily for sleep and steps and I’m considering going elsewhere.  Without context over time, it’s hard to see how factors improve your sleep.   

1). Minimum request is notes.  Just a simple box that I can type in per day

2). Second ideal would be the ability to create selected tags that would could then see sleep graphs associated with say “alcohol”. 

3).  Anytype of smart analysis that the app notices. 

Skyman
First Steps

Come on fitbit!!!!

We all would like a response on this issue.!!! 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is a totally sensible suggestion - being able to build up a pattern to show users what and how your sleep is affected by drink, food etc.

However, since this was first posted in 2015, and a moderator responded by saying that it was a good idea, and it's now 2019, it doesn't look like the developers think it's worth the trouble.

More's the pity!

gbpn26
First Steps

I am hoping that a comment will contribute toward the developers prioritizing this suggestion. 

How many votes are necessary in order for this enchancemenf to be considered? It is clear that this relatively small change would be of major benefit to the every day consumer, those with sleep disorders and even our veterans. What more do we need to get this going?

focohare
Jogger

@LanuzaFitbit Has there been any review of what other users have to say about this suggestion yet?  

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

As a database developer of commercial software for depot management, I’m often asked by my users ‘Could you add this small feature in - I’m sure it would be simple to do’.

So I’m very aware of the complexities of adding features to a software suite that caters to a number of different models, such as FitBit.

In its simplest form, this request for adding notes to a sleep log could just be a free-form text entry record in a new SleepLogNotes table - linked to each sleep log.

I believe this would satisfy the requirements of most users.

A further iteration could be to have a tag or category system, eg. #alcohol; #drugs #meds etc.

As this feature request has been around for a number of years, I’m hoping FitBit will implement it soon.

Moderator edit: Remove personal information

NavyGuysGal
First Steps

Would love to be able to edit each sleep log with notes, ie. I took melatonin that night or slept in a hotel, etc. on my Alta HR.

NavyGuysGal
First Steps

Yes, please, please address this, developers!

Having a log feature (and ideally tags) would provide very valuable information to analyzing our sleep logs in the hopes of getting better sleep. Seems like that's part of the whole reason to have a sleep log in the first place. I realize this doesn't have high priority because having the feature won't sell more Fitbits, BUT hopefully y'all care about keeping your existing users from jumping ship to Apple watch, etc.. I have a ALTA HR, FWIW.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @NavyGuysGal, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here.

Brigidgray
Jogger
Is there any movement in the development of this feature?

Brigid
JJayM
Jogger

I would like to add notes to my sleep data. So that i could get s better idea as to whats making me sleep better or worse. And look for patterns ir triggers as to say.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.