Add downhill skiing, quad/inline skating, and mountain biking to activities

Please consider adding additional tracker activities to the fitbit app. Would specifically like to see downhill skiing and quad/inline skating. These are activities that are physically intense, but don't necessarily register a lot of "steps". Would like to be able to get the "credit" for the work put forth in these activities. Also, would be nice to see separate mountain biking vs street cycling as the mountain biking speed is likely to be far less due to terrain, but the workload is significant.

63 Comments
webtomass
Recovery Runner

As a pro inline skater, I would love to get accurate activity data integrated with the Surge and app. Fitibit, c'mon you would be attracting a relatively high number of a new user base who abstain from activity trackers due to non support for inline skating. No brainer.

Moderator Edit: Labels

Wessing
First Steps

I skate on quads and would also like to see skating listed as an exercise; is there significan difference in the way inline vs quad skaters are exercising? I'm guessing we could just have one "skating".

berserker66
Jogger
I would like the same capability. As a workaround Fitbit could allow a Cardiovascular workout to be edited. So each time you go skating, you start a workout on the fitbit watch. When it downloads to the website you simply edit the workout to skating.
Keenamarie78
First Steps
I skate on quads and would love more accurate tracking for this activity. I know I burn way more calories than what the Fitbit registers
olafinho
Jogger

2016. Still no Inline skating on the "surge" menu. I must say, I am a little disappointed. It should not be too hard to edit cycling or running the way it works for inline skating...

@webtomass wrote:

As a pro inline skater, I would love to get accurate activity data integrated with the Surge and app. Fitibit, c'mon you would be attracting a relatively high number of a new user base who abstain from activity trackers due to non support for inline skating. No brainer.

@webtomass wrote:

johneric8
Tempo Runner

Yes,   I'm a lifelong skater and made the mistake of getting the surge for this purpose.   I'm very upset that there is at least not an option on he watch like there is with Runkeeper.  My vote is for you guys to PLEASE add a skating option.  I know it's not a perfect science when calculating things that glide or roll but us inline types,  or quad types (I do both) would LOVE this option ASAP.   Does anyone think the bike option works as a workaround?   I've turned on runkeeper using the skating App and also used the bike exersize option on the surge and found that calories burned were close but distance was way off between the two ..  Of course they were both using GPS at the same time..

Either way,  as a lifelong skater,  please hear us on this!

TarinFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @webtomass  It seems this is a growing popular request here! But, but do you think that you can explain your idea with more information about what you need and want?. In that way it will be easier to take into consideration.

olafinho
Jogger
At the end of the day, I want to be able to add inline skating as a
possible selection of training modes directly on my surge watch. As I
understand, other people prefer other types of skating. What I would need
is a function for the surge that simply tracks kilometers via GPS (not via
counting steps) and the heart rate as well. I assume that an algorythm
could calculate all other data necessary from that... It should not be too
complicated to adapt such an algorythm for inline skating, regulatur
skating, ice skating and so on...

As I said, at the end of the day, inline skating should be a possible quick
selection for tracking on the surge....

Best regards
Olaf
johneric8
Tempo Runner

I agree with Olaf,   we just want the option like Runners have with on watch support!!  We want to  pick Skating from our watch so it logs quickly and easily.  Lots of folks go skating still just for the sole purpose of exercise weekly at local rinks.  I feel like I'm jumping through hoops and having to use extra things like my phone to monitor my activities..   I think there is something wrong when a phone App like Runkeeper gets us and gives us skating but one of the world's leading fitness watch's believes having a skating exersize option is not important.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
RobertoME
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I really liked your idea, essentially this suggestion could potentially help a lot of users. Having the ability to track more activities with the Surge sounds interesting. 

I would recommend voting for this idea to make it more popular and be implemented in a future.

ndelarua
First Steps

It would be great to track an inline skating workout.  You have to framework i.e. split times for running, GPS, avg. speed from cycling.  That would be awesome.

aliendancer
Base Runner

I am a fitbit user and really prefer it to Garmin but in order to get support for inline skating I bought a garmin. It isn't prfect but it does allow me to select running and then later go back and edit the activity to say I was skating. Another plus for the Garmin is that it transfers the activity to Myfitnesspal. All fitbit does is tell MyfirnessPal how many steps I have. It would be nice to get support for inline skating but failing that I should be able to edit an activity session to rename it. Also sending activities to MyfitnessPay would be nice. I am still using both devices and would like to move to Fitbit only but if I can't get the support I need I may have to move to the Garmin only as wearing and syncing two devices is getting old.

Hanes69
First Steps

Hello,

Add please Inline Skating as activity into Charge 2 tracker, it is quite widespread fitness activity and it is a shame that Fitbit does not support it...

gnarley
First Steps

+1 for skating-  Please add skating! I need to be able to track GPS for distance and time and heartrate. Steps does not equate. Sometimes I'm skating outside on paths, but typically I am skating inside in a rink. I play roller derby and skate inside multiple times each week but my fitbit is incapable of coming close to accurately tracking it. 

chuckmakerdvm
First Steps

Please consider adding uphill skiing or "skinning" and telemark downhill skiing to a future update for this device.  A downhill skiing addition of vertical feet skiied would also be great.  

MysticMan
Jogger

Another vote for rollerblading, I do it all summer, and was shocked it's not on a list.

Geegerino
First Steps

Come on Fitbit - not big time programming... another vote for rollerblading. Can't take this long for software can it???

PapaStahl
Jogger

Yes! Please add inline-skating, rollerblading.

It should track

• distance (using GPS)
  • speed (Current, Max & Avg)
  • Route (GPS)
  • Heartbeat
  • Calories burned
JanvanDeinze
First Steps

Yes please, could not agree more

Veerlalala
First Steps

I've tried everything, but there seems to be no way to track or enter a distamce when I am roller skating.

I play roller derby and I use the 'workout' function when tracking that, but when I skate from A to B (today, for instance, from work to train station), I want to be able to track distance. First of all (but that's a problem with my phone) my gps tracking doesn't work, so tracking it as a walk or bike ride wasn't possible. It auto-registered as a 'Walk', but without distance. I couldn't edit to enter the distance later, and when I tried to 'log previous' and said I roller skated, I could only enter the time, duration and intensity.

I'd love it if the fitbit app would allow distance to be entered for these workout logs, especially since stride lengths are completely different when roller skating (or roller blading/inline skating)!

Moderator edit: labels.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'm not a Pro inline skater, but it is my go-to outside activity. It's super annoying having to put it on run, or bike, or even walk to get a basic sense of my workout, splits, etc. seems like it wouldn't be that hard to tweak the programming so those who use skates (and there are more than you think!) can finally have a fitness watch that provides useful data.

Geegerino
First Steps
Here here...

Sent from my iPhone
Faulkteach
First Steps

Would like a way to track my activity playing roller hockey with my flex 2

shaebay
First Steps

I know this feature has been requested before and I completely agree. I skate long distances (my longest being 50 miles so far), and now that I have the charge 2 rather than the charge hr, I would love to track distances in something other than MapMyRun. I have no idea how this is not a feature yet, as I've seen people requesting it for over 2 years now. 😞

Sebastiaan
First Steps

Agree. To fast for running and to slow for (serious) biking. Please add skating. At least to the app, so we can change runing or biking to skating afterward. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.