Add more edit options for exercises on website and Fitbit app

There is inconsistency in the ability to Edit and rename exercises for later clarity. Many like to change the name of a Workout or Activity to match the geographic location they performed the activity.

At the moment

• Your can edit and continually rename an Activity Record
  • You can edit a Workout once only and if there is an error you have to delete it and make a manual entry which then effects the active minutes and calories by straight lining.
  • On my Ionic I just did a GPS Walk and I don't even get the chance to edit and rename the Walk. I have do create an Activity Record if I want to delineate the activity.
  • I realize for some activities it prompts to create a custom Activity but on some types you don't have that option and create the error and have to live with it..

The image below shows some editing of the names, the Ionic HR is my last nights sleep.

•  

rename activity 28mar19.jpg

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
48 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Colinm39 Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think

Velvetvisions
Recovery Runner

I absolutely agree with this. When I start an activity manually, I should still have an option to rename it, like when I walk my dog. I like to be able to easily recall the activity and naming it works perfectly if I was allowed to do so. I would love to see this implemented, seems like it would be an easy change since some activities can already be modified.

WendyB
Community Legend

I agree with this. It would be great to rename. So many times I have wanted to and cant

JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Velvetvisions  and @WendyB  thank you for sharing your interest to this idea. Please don't forget to leave your vote. 

Velvetvisions
Recovery Runner

I already posted my vote

ashwolve
Interval Runner
Voted too - it would also help if it didn't force you to try and add calories to custom entries - you do not know what this is until you input the data and it should be automatically input by the steps/heart rate data like it used to do
JesSaying22
First Steps

I agree, I have inline skates and a bike that I use pretry often. 

ashwolve
Interval Runner

@JesSaying22 there is a Bike function within the exercise shortcuts and it can be used with connected GPS - unfortunately I don't think you can set it within the app you will need to go to the Fitbit.com version click on device (settings) and then scroll down to exercise shortcuts - you can chose up to 7 so you may have to uncheck one to get another

charge 3.JPG

remember to save and then sync device - cannot find any shortcuts to skate though so currently you may have to continue as you are

hope this helps a little

Kind Regards

Wayne

RuralLife
First Steps

I think that rather than add more and more new exercises to the categories list, a better solution would be to allow users to name, type in and add specific activities for themselves.  Your stats don't change based on the name of the activity, do they?  They are based on your heart rate during the time period you log for each activity, aren't they?  It would be nice to be able to name specifically brush cutting or chain sawing or peddle boating or pickleball and not have to settle on calling these activities something from the list such as carpentry or biking or badminton.   

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @RuralLife! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your idea. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot a users would like to have this option to edit activities. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

RaibZer
First Steps

I absolutely agree and I hope we will see this feature very soon.
I want to add what type of muscle group i'm doing for each "Weight" workout i'm tracking.

Looking forward and hope this will be added.

Source_Sport
First Steps

It would be nice to edit ALL activities afterwards. For example I go for a rollerskating session and tracking it through my Fitbit with connected GPS. Because rollerskating is not an option that can be selected, I select "Bike" instead.

But when I am done and synced it to the app I cannot change the activity type! I understand from a developing perspective not all activities can be tracked from your watch/tracker but it would be nice to change the tracked activity afterwards to your desire, in mine case from "bike" to "rollerskating" with all states of that training session.

Now its only possible to add a training session manually but without all training states like: burned calories, GPS location and heart-rate.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Source_Sport! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

SamanthaMc
Recovery Runner

I accidentally logged circuit training as yoga and now I can't change it.  Surely we should be able to alter workout names as often as we like.

SamanthaMc
Recovery Runner

Sorry, just managed to do this on the iPad app - cannot do it on a desktop.

Melanie2007
First Steps

Hello, I run at least a mile every day, and want to count the days I've been running. On Strava I rename the run to day#125 etc. Is there  any  possibillity to do that on Fitbit?

Pamh63
Jogger

There are times when you forget to end your exercise.  Yesterday I showed one for 12 hours!  I was able to correct the start and stop times in the workout itself but it didn't adjust the total active minutes.  There should be something that ask, do you want your total active minutes adjusted.

Just a suggestion.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Pamh63! Great suggestion, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on your activities. I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

Pamh63
Jogger

I hope so! Thank you for responding.

Pam

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

gryphiniii
Recovery Runner

I know this fits in to a lot of other rowing suggestions, but as I started to look at adding to one of those topics I noticed that most of them have been labeled by the moderator as "Not being considered."  When I go for a row currently, I choose Bike from the workout menu.  It measures time and distance and gives me a map of my course. I just wish that I could change the label to Rowing instead of having to leave it as a Bike. There is a lot that I like about the FitBit community, but I am frustrated that the decision has been made to not bother adding Rowing as a workout option. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @gryphiniii! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

COMAMA2
First Steps

YES - I would like to be able to name my runs so I can compare my stats each time I do the same run.  I was able to do this with my Garmin YEARS ago....

snapnaz
First Steps

Honestly, fitbit? This watch is supposed to be the leader in fitness tracking and it doesn't have the ability to rename activities? Here's the use case. People us this to track workouts. Most serious folks have varying versions of their workouts. For example, when doing weights there are hypertrophy days and heavy days. These days have different rest periods which are different use cases for the watch. I would expect that a $300 watch would allow me to setup heavy and hypo days for each grouping of workouts. Can you give us a serious update on the status of this defect? I think the Product management team has enough from the community so you don't need to wait any longer to prioritize this.

alittle1244
First Steps

This issue has been ongoing for years with Fitbit.  Why no change or update?  Renaming it in the app should be an easy programming fix.  I do specifically named work outs like Insanity and 21 Day Fix and would like to be able to look back to see improvements without guessing which day I did what.

Macaj
Jogger

The charge 3 has limited functionality for me as I can’t write my own descriptions for exercises that I donwhich don’t match the very limited selection given.  So I’d like to see the ability to add the name of my choice for an exercise and be able to put in extra data, eg location or time or mood or result. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.