Allow Spotify offline on Versa series and Sense

After long time Fitbit released a Spotify app for Ionic/Versa (for now only on Versa 2). See this suggestion now marked as solved.

However this app does not allow to download music for offline listening (for example while working-out).

Hence this new suggestion.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

328 Comments
BikerMouse87
Stepping Up

It's a good thing I searched for this topic first. I had the same idea.

You have my vote. We need a Spotify app on Ionic/Versa (and maybe future wearables of Fitbit) which allows to play offline tracks/playlists/podcasts.

The whole idea of Ionic is to leave your phone at home when you workout with the built-in GPS and music player. Nowadays the majority doesn't download music anymore but streams. Spotify is the mainstream app for music and has the ability to make music "offline". This is what we want to see on Fitbit wearables.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
GraceGFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Giampi71, thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about download music for offline listening music with us! We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. I'm sure your suggestion will receive many votes from other customers. If it gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Bert4breakfast
Recovery Runner

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how Fitbit dupes it's customers into thinking they're buying a smart watch. 

👏👏👏

creafish
First Steps
If it gains popularity

Haha, it has so much already and you know that.

Doccharis
Jogger

If it gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit.

I find that statement a bit condescending as this is a feature/app that is not only popular and desirable but has been requested for over 2 years now! Android/Wear OS have it and frankly, I've been considering a move away from Fitbit because of this. I have a well-established Spotify family account and currently have to pay a subscription to Deezer as well to stream music on my Ionic. When the time comes to upgrade/change my Ionic, this will be a major contributory factor to what tracker I get (the Christmas shopping season is just around the corner!).

Bert4breakfast
Recovery Runner
Ditch Fitbit. You'll never look back.
Just avoid hauwei as they don't allow exporting data to Strava etc.
MrGlenn
Runner

Not for the first time, the description on the website can be seen as misleading. It implies you can store and play music from BOTH Spotify and Deeper...

Then again maybe that means Spotify music sync is also already a planned feature...

Screenshot_20190912-020000.png

Jenaroo914
First Steps

I bought my Versa less than a year ago and don’t pay for Pandora plus or Deezer, so I’ve been having to run while holding my phone so I can listen to music while I run. I have Spotify Premium. I downloaded a 3rd party application for Spotify HR but have never been able to take advantage of it since I didn’t have wireless headphones (now that I do, it doesn’t work very well and constantly crashes)  I recently saw that the new Versa 2 comes with the Spotify premium icon, which is great, but sucks for the Versa 1 users that have and want to use their Spotify premium account. I looked at the specs for the Versa 2 and while there are a few nice add on’s, it’s not enough for me to drop another almost $200 for the updated Versa when mine works just as well. Please consider adding the Spotify premium icon to the Versa 1 so I can take advantage of my subscription and enjoy hands free running!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Jenaroo914, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option on your Versa 1. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

jrwhit13
First Steps

Agreed.

Being able to download Spotify playlist is the whole reason I bought a Samsung GearFit2. Admittedly, it has many issues, but it can actually do the things I want. I do not have a reason to buy a Fitbit unless it will do what I need it to do: one device which monitors heart rate, tracks my fitness with apps I use, play music (again - with the apps I use).

egmike
Jogger

I like how they closed this feature suggestion, but it's not available on my ionic.... Did they just close it because the versa 2 has spotify now?

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Spotify-for-Ionic-Versa/idc-p/3789720#M224269

I actually bought the versa2 and returned it. There are no volume controls like the ionic.  Please bring spotify to the ionic... these features are highest on your lists...

falstaff123
Jogger

@GraceGFitbit the "Spotify for Ionic/Versa" definitly was meant to imply also Offline, see the first comment which explicitly mentions Offline. IMHO you can count those 10+k votes already now. Spotify without Offline support is close to pointless IMHO.

Definitly will wait to see how this suggestion works out before I buy a Versa 2.

ashtycooper
First Steps

spotify is available on the Versa 2 now. Can we get it available on the Versa 1 too?  

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ashtycooper, thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about having Spotify on your Fitbit, with us! I've moved it into a similar suggestion. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

saucerfm
First Steps

May we please have Spotify in Versa 1? I was able to use Spotify HR before but the app seems to be removed after the latest software update. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

There have been lots of votes for Spotify to be added to Fitbit and it seems all have fallen on deaf ears. I’ve used Fitbit since 2013, but with this continued ignoring of all the votes I am in the process of switching to Garmin. Sorry it has to come to this. 

Update:

My Fitbit is now for sale and I own a Garmin. I have Spotify now. 

Dolores11
First Steps

Glad to finally get the app for my versa 1. But it isn’t listed under media section like pandora or Deezer. And all it works as is a fancy way of controlling the music on Spotify. When will the offline version be available to download songs if we are paying for a Spotify subscription if we can’t even use it. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi Fitbit team! First of all thank you for bringing Spotify as an official app for Fitbit devices.

Unfortunately the main feature, downloading music, is still missing.

The main idea is to go for a run without bringing your phone and use offline songs and integrated Bluetooth with your headphones.

So please bring downloadable playlists as you have done with deezer!

GeorgeAUS
First Steps

Hi Guys, 

Love the product - I currently have an Ionic and although there are are a couple of things missing on the watch I am loving it. Recently changed from an Apple Watch. 

One of the most annoying things for me (and ill assume most people) when I go running I have to take my phone with me to listen to music. I understand you have a Deezer integration with your products however the majority of people in Australia (and ill say most likely the world) actually use Spotify. Now i've noticed that you have releases the Spotify app this week, which is awesome however it is lacking one major feature. 

Can we please have the ability to save playlists and music from our Spotify accounts to our Fitbit devices. I know this can be done cause Garmin products can now stream and save music from Spotify. Basically if my Fitbit could save Spotify playlists onto it to save me having to lug my phone around on runs, it would be perfect!

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @GeorgeAUS. Great suggestion! Thanks for explaining why you'd like to download your Spotify playlists to your Fitbit device. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here so we can keep tracking this request. Don’t forget to post a comment and click on the thumbs-up to show your support!

gravydan
Base Runner

Count on my vote for this feature too.

I signed up to Deezer on a 3 month free trial but afraid to say I didn't like it verses the Spotify premium account I've had for years.

Having a "remote" on the Versa is halfway there but it falls short of the mark (versus other smart watches) when you can actually download your music to the device.

I hope Fitbit and Spotify are working on this as we speak as they are falling behind in what we should expect from the devices and services we are paying for.

dutdut82
First Steps

Sad... the Spotify app is only for remote control and the music still can’t sync to versa like Deezer.

hope to improve Spotify app to sync music to versa. Thank you !!

TVgolf
Jogger

Download Spotify to Ionic should already be available!

BikerMouse87
Stepping Up
But it isn't
GrazzA
Recovery Runner

I bought the Ionic purely so I don't have to take my phone running with me.  It was advertised, somewhat misleadingly I think, as being compatible with Spotify.  I have had this for years on my Apple watch. I have recently switched to Android and thought the Ionic with inbuilt GPS was the perfect choice. Spotify app however, only can control my phone - this is POINTLESS - please get it sorted so that I can download music onto the Ionic 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.