Allow users to enter a customized BMR or RMR

Hi!

For a very long time, I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight even though I was eating at the calorie level dictated by my Fitbit - when I say "long time," I mean over a few years (I've been a Fitbit user since May of 2012).  Finally, last year I had my resting metabolic rate tested by my doctor, and found it to be about 25% lower than what it appears Fitbit was using as a baseline for my daily calorie burns.  This made the total daily burns given to me by Fitbit almost useless.

Through a lot of research and trial and error I was able to work something out where I adjusted my age and height as well as switched from a Charge HR to an Alta and I think I've finally gotten my daily burns where they should be.  However: (1) my distance walked each day is incorrect due to not being able to appropriately adjust my stride, (2) my expensive Charge HR is now useless to me (as the change in my age has lowered the HR range for exercise zones for me and significantly over-inflates calories burned), (3) the body fat percentage feature on my expensive Aria scale is now useless to me (it won't even calculate anymore, I assume due to the age I entered since that's when it stopped), and, possibly most importantly, (4) not everyone who runs into this issue is going to have the time and knowledge to figure something like this out.

It's an accepted fact that BMR calculations based on general statistics can be off by a wide margin - they are based on estimates and averages only, and while they're "good enough" for most people they're still going to be grossly incorrect for a lot of Fitbit users.  Being able to take those estimates and averages and replace them with a personalized number based on actual medical testing would be a huge step in making the Fitbit experience infinitely more accurate and useful for those users who need that capability and are armed with the knowledge to address it appropriately.

PLEASE incorporate this feature!!

86 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi Blcksnds,
For now you can adjust your Fitbit Profile by adjusting your height. The Breezing metabolism measurement company offers a Calorie Corrector here: http://breezing.com/caloriecorrector/
--

Best!

Blcksnds
Jogger
Thanks for that. Fitbit now thinks I'm 8 inches shorter! Ha!
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Well, you've got to start somewhere! 😉

Now to work on your height ... I recommend pull-UPS! Best in your journey, @Blcksnds!

BarbieAS
Base Runner

I agree!  My medically tested RMR (translated back to BMR) is about 25% lower than what Fitbit uses as my baseline, which results in drastically over-inflated calorie burns given to me by Fitbit.  Over time I've managed to work out a way to get them more accurate (by adjusting my age and height and switching from a Charge HR to an Alta), but allowing me to just enter my actual RMR would be SO much better!  My calorie burns are now a lot more accurate after all my tweaking, but I don't have accuracy in my miles/distance walked, I can't use my Charge HR at all (which is a major bummer and waste of money), and I can't use the body fat % feature on my Aria scale (also a major bummer and waste of money).  Please allow this option!!

BarbieAS
Base Runner

I've replied to similar topics a couple of other times, but this is SO important to me I'm going to add my voice here as well.

I have had my RMR tested by a medical professional in a medical facility.  It is 25-30% lower than any calculator/formula out there.  I know Fitbit uses BMR, but the obvious implication is that my BMR, as well as then my total calories burned each day, are in reality an similar percentage lower than Fitbit gives me.

In order to continue using Fitbit, I've had to fiddle with my settings (age and height) for my Fitbit to give me a reasonably accurate calories burned each day.  This has left me with a useless Charge HR (my heart rate exercise zones are now completely off), a half-useless Aria scale (body fat won't calculate anymore after the changes), and generally a LOT of wasted time, wasted money, and frustration.

I understand that allowing users to make changes like this at-will potentially compromises Fitbit's proprietary formulas and even brand integrity.  However, this is a KNOWN issue when using estimates and averages as Fitbit does.  I'm happy to fax a darn note from my doctor or a copy of my test results if needed and Fitbit can make the change on their end, I don't care.  But, somehow, the capability to make such changes for people who have the relevant knowledge and information to make these changes both useful and accurate ABSOLUTELY MUST be incorporated into Fitbit's programs.  Period.  

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

As of '16 May 3, still don't know of a good Total Calories Burned estimator (for individuals of course!)

Glad you have measured your RMR, as have I -- and now, both before and following pregnancy/birthing of a perfect little girl (just 12 days ago!)
Shocking was to see my RMR plummet from 1500's to 1200's over the course of 3 months. Note: I was having a heard time keeping food "down", so my body seems to have compensated for the lack of Calories IN.

There is a retired engineer I recently e-met that approaches the Apps and Trackers in an honest and consistent way. Dennis Bell, and he just launched a website offering to guide his client's usage of just a couple Apps, including infrequent use of Calories In counting (MFP). He has been straightforward with me & certainly does not possess the stereotypical retired guy attitude -- e.g., he has taken HIIT very seriously as a method for keeping his cells guessing 😉 and now I will try too.
Here he is at "1 on 1 coaching".

OK, going to tie this to the other post about Fitbit taking the lead and being a ChangeMaker! Best to you, @BarbieAS

Sibyline
Jogger

I diligently log my meals, but if I follow the Fitbit recommendations for weight loss, I gain weight. I assume that the BMR calculation is off.

As it is now, I have to add at least 30 years to my age to get a calorie recommendation that works.

If Fitbit could analyze my past entries and compare them to my weight graphs, it could suggest a change in BMR which could then be factored into the calculations.

This would be such an improvement to Fitbit that I would be willing to pay for Premium access for this feature alone. I'm sure many others would too, considering how many people have problems with calorie recommendations being way off.

Moderator edit: Labels

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 Cat Happy

When using a food plan.. it's legally possible that the foods eating can contain less or more calories than listed on a package legally (up to 25 %)..

It's possible to already have eaten on maintenance or more instead of eating in a deficit if the deficit is to small.

Estimating food intake, and that steak can be a few hundreds grams more..

Also go by feeling, feeling hungry? Your body still telling feeling fine, not needing more yet.. the food plan doesn't know about our hunger / appetite / satisfied signals. Even if there's hundreds calories left to eat, though feeling fine, needing to trust the body having enough if not hungry, or no appetite yet to eat (feeling needing to force feed in the moment if eating more now).. and then feeling stuffed if would following the 'plan'.. Cat Embarassed

Sibyline
Jogger
Thank you. That is very good advice, but unfortunately it doesn't apply to my situation. I estimate very few foods, and when I do, I very much err on the side of caution.

On other sites, you get your daily calorie allowance, and that works very well. If I eat 1300 kcal a day, I lose consistently. No plateaus, but hunger is an issue.

(I never eat until I feel stuffed)

Fitbit is supposed to take activity into account, but for some reason it sets the allowance far too high. I can change my height or age to tweak this - or I can manually set the number of calories I know will work, but then I lose the benefit of being able to eat more when exercise leaves me extra hungry.

I will probably go back to a set number of calories a day, but it's a shame that Fitbit can't do better than other sites when they have better data.

Google search confirms that many other users have this problem. That's how I got the idea to change my age. It does work, but I would prefer the option of letting Fitbit work it out based on my stats.
gfugal
Jogger

Fitbit currently calculates your BMR/RMR (basel metabolicrate/ resting metabolic rate) based off of your age, hight, and weight. This may be accuruate for most people but I feel that there should be a way to edit it and manually input your own value if you happen to know otherwise (like if someone went and got it tested by thier doctor). 

BMR is essentially one's metabolism. We've all heard that some people have fast metabolisms and others have slow metabolisms. Already you can see the problem with cookie cutting seperate individuals into the same mold, even if they are the same age, weight and hieght. There are many reasons why people of the same age, weight, and height would have different BMR, such as different body composition. two people could weigh 220 pounds but one could be 8% body fat and mostly muscle, and the other could simply be a bit chubby at 28% body fat. The individual that's mostly muscle weight will have a much greater BMR because of his fitness level. So if they are going to use an equation to determin BMR they should have one that takes into account body composition. But even if people have the same fitness their metabolism can still be drastically different simply because of their genetics. 

I understand there is probably some sort of liability in letting people set their own BMR but there's got to be a way, like a disclaimer or something they have to agree to, saying you won't sue them if you happen to starve yourself because you set your own BRM to deathly low levels. regardless it shouldn't matter because people are already complaigning they are gaining weight by following their fitbit caloric recomendations. This is because it's overestimating their metabolism. In a nutshell people should have the option to change it if they would like. People who are as concerned enough about their health to dish out the money for a fitbit, probably know what they are doing if they want to manually set a value.

This change was suggested over two years ago. It was taken into consideration but nothing has happened with it yet (as far as I know). It shouldn't be that hard of a thing to update. It shouldn't require a change to the watch its self, you just have to reprogram the app. I think many people would be happy with this change please make this a priority.    

fishie
First Steps

After having completed any number of fitness scans (DEXA, in my case) we are able to have a better idea of our fitness composition, to include our RMR or BMR. Fitbit should have a feature that allows us to input our custom RMR so that calorie tracking features can be more accurate.

Moderator edit:  Labels

honda_grom
First Steps

Just want to keep this suggestion alive.  It looks like they just close (archive) suggestions that dont get posted to.  Seems like a convenient way to just ignore suggestions... but I'm just posting this here to make sure this stays on the radar.

honda_grom
First Steps

Just want to keep this suggestion alive.  It looks like they just close (archive) suggestions that dont get posted to.  Seems like a convenient way to just ignore suggestions... but I'm just posting this here to make sure this stays on the radar.

gfugal
Jogger

I know I'm still waiting for it as well

JamJar50
First Steps

I agree with all the posts here. I've always had a lower metabolism and have had my resting metabolism checked with my doctor. It would be beneficial to adjust the resting calories burned to help more accurately represent the calories in and out.

bobcat0217
Jogger

Fitbit please fix the calories burned overestimate and enable BMR manual adjustments! 

RMBerry
First Steps

I have noticed on days where I am walking a lot, my calories burned gets into the 4000+ range. In actuality I burn significantly less than that due to having a slow metabolism. I would like to see a feature where you can input a BMR modifier; something as simple as +/-15% of normal BMR. 

Awesomewalks100
Base Runner

hi there guys, you should probably know me, i am the one who created  "Changeable clock clock faces"

For those of you who don't know me, i am Awesomewalks100. 

I think we should be able to change our BMRs. 

The estimated one that the fitbit website gave me when i created my new account when i had to transition from a hacked account is sooooooo wrong i am burning way less calories then with my other fitbit account with my charge now i have an alta it says "1.1 k" that seems way off for me  i burn 3k+

please fix this fitbit!! 

Powen35
First Steps

I too would like to add my support for this feature, although I notice this request goes back to 2014 and even with lots of supporting comments it still hasn't been implemented sadly

i have had my RMR professionally measured and know for a fact that the RMR assigned to me for my gender, age, height and weight is too high! It's the reason I have had so much trouble trying to lose weight, as it gives me a false reading of calorie burn. PLs allow us to customise this, it must be a simple thing to implement. THAnks 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Now that Stanford has shown the embarrassing lack of Energy Expenditure accuracy in Fitbit Surge (as well as Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S2, PulseOn, Mio Alpha 2, MS Band, & Intel's Basis Peak) surely management will do the right thing and empower Fitbit users to bypass the sloppy random calories generator! Right? 2017 Stanford HR OK but EE fails miserably

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Now that Stanford has shown the embarrassing lack of Energy Expenditure accuracy in Fitbit Surge (as well as Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S2, PulseOn, Mio Alpha 2, MS Band, & Intel's Basis Peak) surely management will do the right thing and empower Fitbit users to bypass the sloppy random calories generator! Right? 2017 Stanford HR OK but EE fails miserably

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Not sure why this posted a double-post. Fitbit forums showing lack of support.

J0hnE
Base Runner

I would like to add my vote to have the bmr given an adjustment option. I'm 63 a little overweight but workout 4 or 5 times a week, the calorie burn count is far in excess of what I actually burn. TBO my wife and I view the calories burned reading as a joke. The option to adjust this would bring more meaning to the information given and maybe my Dr would not then view Fitbits as just Toys. I owned  a charge 1 and have used the charge 2 from December

WRLong
First Steps
"Customizable BMR or resting calorie burn
WRLong
First Steps
"Customizable BMR or resting calorie burn
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.