Allow users to enter a customized BMR or RMR

Hi!

For a very long time, I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight even though I was eating at the calorie level dictated by my Fitbit - when I say "long time," I mean over a few years (I've been a Fitbit user since May of 2012).  Finally, last year I had my resting metabolic rate tested by my doctor, and found it to be about 25% lower than what it appears Fitbit was using as a baseline for my daily calorie burns.  This made the total daily burns given to me by Fitbit almost useless.

Through a lot of research and trial and error I was able to work something out where I adjusted my age and height as well as switched from a Charge HR to an Alta and I think I've finally gotten my daily burns where they should be.  However: (1) my distance walked each day is incorrect due to not being able to appropriately adjust my stride, (2) my expensive Charge HR is now useless to me (as the change in my age has lowered the HR range for exercise zones for me and significantly over-inflates calories burned), (3) the body fat percentage feature on my expensive Aria scale is now useless to me (it won't even calculate anymore, I assume due to the age I entered since that's when it stopped), and, possibly most importantly, (4) not everyone who runs into this issue is going to have the time and knowledge to figure something like this out.

It's an accepted fact that BMR calculations based on general statistics can be off by a wide margin - they are based on estimates and averages only, and while they're "good enough" for most people they're still going to be grossly incorrect for a lot of Fitbit users.  Being able to take those estimates and averages and replace them with a personalized number based on actual medical testing would be a huge step in making the Fitbit experience infinitely more accurate and useful for those users who need that capability and are armed with the knowledge to address it appropriately.

PLEASE incorporate this feature!!

86 Comments

I have a very slow metabolism. I recently had my BMR professionally determined, and it is 1210 Calories/day. My fitbit is overestimating my daily Calorie burn tremendously, rendering any of the Calorie tracking useless. (For example, today, fitbit claimed I burned 3300 Calories, when I know I burned less than half that, even with my workout.) 

It would be wonderfully beneficial to many people with slower metabolisms if we could override the estimated BMR. So many people have lower Calorie expenditures than fitbit estimates. They can be hypothyroid, PCOS patients, or simply older or petite. 
Manual BMR input has been suggested multiple times, and often the moderators bury the new suggestion into earlier inactive threads that can no longer be commented on.  Please don't do that! 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @stayinghealthy, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option with Fitbit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

rjsttee
First Steps
Please allow the user to either manually adjust Fitbit's BMR numbers, as well as add a feature to take from a smart device like a smart scale (i use the wyze scale). The numbers right now are WILDLY off, which make Fitbit's calories burned durring exercise, as well as FitBit's diet plans WILDLY off.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @rjsttee, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to adjust your BMR value with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Dmannn
First Steps
In the Fitbit app it would be a great feature to allow users to set their own value for the amount of calories they burn without exercise.
Dmannn
First Steps

The reason is that you can receive a more accurate number of your BMR from body compositions testing services.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Dmannn, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about allowing users to set their own value for the amount of calories they burn without exercise. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. 

To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

poppy.fae
First Steps
Please make calories adjustable for RMR.

I eat health and within my plan on my macros, but honestly I'm tired of having a spreadsheet just to keep track of accurate calories out.

Thank you.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @poppy.fae, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to adjust the RMR to your preference with us. Because a similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support, we'll keep tracking this request over time.

SM1353
First Steps
This is an unbelievably simple feature to implement: instead of using whatever algorithm you have to determine BMR you let the user input it themself.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @SM1353, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about allowing you to enter a customized BMR on your Fitbit account with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.