Apnea and snoring detection using sound (possibly vibrate when snoring)

I am currently using an app called Sleep as Android along with a Garmin watch.  It would be really great if Fitbit could integrate the sound (snoring mainly) to correlate with the new (unreleased) sleep apnea analysis of the Ionic.  You'd have movement, heart rate, SPO2 and sound.

Moderator edit: label & title

39 Comments
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I would think that the tracker would first need a microphone of some sort, maybe the app could use the phones? 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

DCleary
First Steps

To be clear:  Sleep as Android uses the phone to detect and record sound.    Here's what the app offers.  https://sleep.urbandroid.org/

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

That is fine @DCleary, I assumed it was so. but there is no Fitbit tracker that has a microphone .Fitbit would need to use some other method .

Gagasasa
Jogger

That's a great idea. The app would analyse the sound (eg. snorelab for android records samples when the snoring is very loud) and can easily detect loud snoring and apnea. In both cases making the fitbit vibrate would be a good thing for the user and his/her partner.

The accelerometer could help detect the sleep position too (not easy). Maybe a small neck collar to clip to the tshirt/pijamas with another accelerometer to cross check the data would make the trick. The latter could also have the mic to detect both snoring and apnea. In theory no need for the app in that case.

awayigoooo
Jogger

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea.  During sleep apnea when the person stops breathing their heart rate rises.  My heart rate showed a serious jump during an episode.  It would be helpful to see the times during our sleep that this happens.  Also, is there some way to add an fingertip pulse oximeter that would work with the fitbit?  Drops in oxygen saturation during sleep is a serious problem associated with sleep apnea.

Thank you for any considerations,

Sheila 

DCleary
First Steps

The new Charge 3 has SPO2 (pulse ox) so there's now a very reasonable device that could be paired with the sound element.  

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Where is the sound element, normally called a microphone, going to come from?

The Charge 3 dies not have a sound element.

DCleary
First Steps
The original post refers to a smart phone app (Sleep as Android) which
pairs with watch. I am suggesting that Fitbit license the app (Runtastic
did) or create their own capability.

--
Doug Cleary
fitx
First Steps

This would be a great feature for those with sleep issues such as snoring. 

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us @fitx! We look forward to hearing what other community members think. Woman Happy

fitx
First Steps

@AlexandraFitbit Thanks! 🙂 

KenDMan
First Steps

I see people suggesting it to you for over a year now. How hard is it to implement such a feature? 

AndersTh
Jogger

You can make the fitbit vibrate on call, so it shouldn't be to difficult to make it vibrate when someone snore. Using IFTTT could be one way.

Let any "sound recording" app pickup the snoring and than make IFTTT create a buzz on the fitbit.

changeagent7
Jogger

Some people with sleep apnea easily fall asleep, especially near the end of their day, while on the computer or watching tv. Doing this repeatedly degrades their health as they should spend all sleeping hours connected to their machine [CPAP, etc.] in order to minimize or avoid eventually developing heart failure, among other problems. An alarm that rings when they are asleep must operate by detecting the symptoms of their sleep: snoring, or a decrease in blood oxygen. Since reliable blood oxygen would best be detected by a ring on the first joint of a finger, detecting the sound of snoring should be easier to connect to an alarm.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. I think this is a great idea for users suffering sleep apnea. It could really help them out to avoid this situation and have better life quality. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

SmartLumens
Jogger

I agree that using your phone's microphone time synced with your Fitbit movement/HR sensor will help "clarify" arguments with your spouse😀

jjpar
First Steps

Yes, please implement this as soon as possible. Apple Watch has it, and it is one of the features that is serious making me think of switching over to them (which I'd rather not do as my fitbit does everything I want from a wearable, but that is such a great feature/tool that I would switch just for that.) 

jjpar
First Steps

Or at least give us some sort of update that you are working on this feature or considering, or if you are not going to do it. Just let us please know one way or another. 

leear
Runner

I would like a Sleep Apnea Alert on Fitbits Smiley Happy

Drilling down into my own sleep record, I was told that I was snoring and not getting good breathing and air-flow at around 5.10am this morning, Smiley Sad so I drilled-down in my Fitbit sleep records and found the exact times and duration of my snoring sessions of around 30 seconds (see image) 

It must be a very simple job to run an algorithm to monitor and report this, if it is happening, getting better or getting worse.

Screenshot 2019-05-26 at 8.18.13 AM.png

Aprila333
Recovery Runner

Can't this be added to the Versa 2 immediately since it has the ability to "hear" , I would think since you can talk to Alexa??

Aprila333
Recovery Runner

Since the Versa 2 has a microphone that allows you to talk to Alexa, can you please add a feature that would allow you to use the microphone to detect snoring while you sleep and provide you with better sleep Records?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Yes @Aprila333 the Versa 2 has a microphone which only turns on when the user holds on the left button.

Yes Fitbit could make the microphone turn on during sleep. However like the oxygen sensor the sleep apnia would need approval from the federal government. 

@leear did the app really tell you when you where snoring. Your screen shot only selects times of brief awake, something every person experiences. 

Aprila333
Recovery Runner

Thanks for responding! I'm curious to know about the oxygen sensor your referring to...does the Fitbit have a oxygen sensor built in or sell it separately from the watch? 

I would certainly be willing to sign some kind of waiver or whatever to give my versa 2 permission to use the microphone while I'm sleeping to better detect snoring sounds if that's what it would take. Do you really need government approval to detect snoring if the individual is giving you permission to listen?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The Versa line, ionic, and Charge 3 have oxygen sensors. Supposedly if all goes as planned will be enabled during sleep this month

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.