Auto pause

Can the firmware and app be updated to have an auto pause feature for when you stop to cross a road or tie a lace during workout and walk and run etc. That would be fab.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

197 Comments
mitchellkp
Jogger

Pretty standard stuff for a GPS training/biking/running device. My 10 year old garmin watch has this. Come on!!!

LMinOz
Jogger
When I do dishes (standing in one place), I log about 60 'steps'! I'm also a Choral Conductor and when I'm conducting, the Fitbit records hundreds of 'steps'. Having a pause tracking button would mean I wouldn't have to remove the Fitbit from our wrist (I have a Fitbit Charge) each time I start an activity that I don't want tracking. The clasp is not easy to close, so removing and replacing the Fitbit on my wrist is something I would rather avoid. Thanks!
KMitzel
First Steps

I would also appreciate a pause feature on the Charge. Particularly, I believe that a pause feature would be beneficial in exercise mode. While I'm out for a run, I usually end up waiting at stop lights to cross streets. Therefore, without a pause, my workout time is accurate. I would love a pause feature!

Maggiega2
First Steps
A great feature would be auto pause in the run and bike applications.
SQUUNK
First Steps

I also think an exercise pause feature is needed. This is a basic function that any runners stopwatch has had for decades and is my biggest disappointment with my new Charge.

mitchellkp
Jogger

@DerrickS This is not just for city runners. It's for bikers and hikers. When you aren't moving during a run, hike or bike, Surge tracking should pause automatically. That could be a stop light, pause of water break or picture, waiting for your companions, etc.

A few other comments about the functionality it should have:

• must also resume once you begin moving again
  • must not replace manual pause
  • must be a global setting (turn auto-pause on or off)
  • should give a audio and vibration signal of on/off
mitchellkp
Jogger
Cos65
Jogger
I agree this would be a good feature.
jorang
Hill Runner

I sometimes accidentaly press upper right when trying to restart after pause - maybe caused by lack of focus/ consentration making me press the wrong button. It has also occured that during a pause I have "pressed" the upper right just by moving my wrist upwards (mostly when wearing gloves.

Could we also have a confirmation 'process' when stopping an exercise from pause. Maybe a double press on upper right or a confirmation question making it neccessary to press upper right once again before the Surge leaves the exercise...?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Right now Im using runtastic for my runs mainly for the auto pause feature. I use a flipbelt so I really dont have access to my phone to pause or unpause. 

Another option would be to enable pause through taps on the fitbit. Like putting the flex to sleep. 

prairiedoug
Jogger

Yes!  Please add auto pause to a firmware update!!

Copper-blob
Jogger
Not having auto stop/start on the Surge in bike mode is a real pain. Inevitably I forget to pause or stop the timer and end up with a meaningless average mph. Worse still, I often forget to manually restart the timer when setting off again after stopping. Also, I sometimes think the timer has restarted when it hasn't meaning that I end up with large chunks of the ride missing from the recording. The Surge really does need this functionality. Without it I'd be better off using the Charge HR and a suitable phone app.
bagongo
First Steps

Please add the chance to disable/enable step counting from device..I always see steps and floors incrementing when cycling..and when doing weightlifting or rope jumping. Please this feature would be really killing.

TwoCheetah
First Steps

Yes!  Add an Auto Pause feature.  This way my Total Time is the time while I am running and does not include the time waiting at the crosswalk.  Simple algorithm.  If the GPS data does not change for, say three measurements, pause the Total Time clock.  When the GPS data changes, let the Total Time clock update.

NDPeter
First Steps

Adding my voice that this would be useful.  Either as one of the scroll options that then if we long press on that it pauses...or when you 2-second press is pauses and 5-seconds it marks the end of a workout for example.  

I used my phone and MobileRun to track for a while, but that has become very slow as of a couple months back and so I've started just tracking with my device.

WIrunner
Jogger
I would like Auto pause with my Surge.
I use the Runkeeper app on my iPhone for running and cycling and the auto pause works great with that app - why can't it be incorporated into Fitbit Surge?
Jikiurtis
First Steps
Able to turn off step counter especially when you are driving a vechile
strips
Jogger
I keep forgetting to end my exercises. It would be nice to be able to configure it to auto pause then stop any exercise after some time with inactivity. This is especially important with GPS-modes on my Surge.

Thanks for a cool product!
Steve4run
First Steps
Just read the garmin user manual, too many missing features to list.
runhellman
First Steps

YES!  Please add autopause!  And add delayed start with countdown like mapmyrun offers.  This gives time to get phone in pocket or however you are carrying it on the run.  

WilliM
First Steps

I agree! It has happened to me some times now, annoying and unnecessary.

This is something that should be fairly easy for Fitbit to fix/add, at least on devices like the Surge I'm having. Either GPS and/or heart rate as source, and to use the alarm as "reminder" asking if I want to end the exercise or not. 

strips
Jogger

Yes a reminder would also be good.

Please vote if you want this feature.

Pause
First Steps
I would like to see the gps pause during runs. There are times when waiting to cross a road/crossing etc when you need to stop. Pausing time would give more accurate results on pace. Similar to what Harmon can do. Thanks
BLM_Pgh
Jogger

YES PLEASE!!!!  I have the Charge HR and this is the most annoying issue!!

ilano
Jogger

Yes please auto pause. Spend this morning combining two activities because I putt the surge on Pause to get more reliable data, but  after getting to a shop to get water i wanted to resume and it started a whole new one...grrrr. So yeah Auto pause is for me a must have on bike rides etc. Probably saves batteries as well.. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.