Auto pause

Can the firmware and app be updated to have an auto pause feature for when you stop to cross a road or tie a lace during workout and walk and run etc. That would be fab.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

197 Comments
BLM_Pgh
Jogger
And it can't be hard as map my walk has had it for years!

Bonnie
joshhuntnm
Recovery Runner

I like this idea as well. I have been using map my fitness app which has this feature. 

jhshannon
Jogger
Without auto pause the device is less useful for me since I export the data to Strava. In the absence of a direct heart rate export to Strava I am forced to use the Track Exercise function but the lack of auto paid is inconvenient. We cyclists stop from time to time for coffee and even sometimes for red lights (!) so it would be a useful option. Please add it, Fitbit. Can't be too hard since every other fitness tracking app and device I've used has this feature.
MaxThroughput
First Steps

Please add a way to disable/enable step counting from the watch. I am a musician and when I perform or practice I need to take my watch off, daily, because I will register in the order of thousands of steps, regardless of wrist/wrist placement. This throws off not only steps, but caloric burn, which is the very reason I bought the watch.

WIrunner
Jogger
I was very disappointed that the recent software update did not include the auto pause feature like many of the other fitness apps and devices have. I use my Surge for bootcamp activities, walking, running and cycling all often involve interrupted activities were I often do not remember to to stop and start the activity on my Surge which leads to inaccurate recording of the activity and frustration. In fact it is getting to the point where I would prefer to use another activity tracking device or app on my iPhone - please add the auto pause feature to Surge
Apexcrisis
First Steps
Hi, I would like to see the watch programmed with an auto stop and then restart like so many other GPS devices. Having to turn the function off and then remember to turn it back on when you stop and restart whilst cycling is very annoying as I often forget to restart until I am km down the trail.
BLM_Pgh
Jogger

It's beyond my comprehension why when so many people have requested this feature and when the technology is so obviously readily available, since so many other devices have it, that the fitbit crew hasn't seen it 'fit' to add it to the devices or even bother to comment on it!

BLM_Pgh
Jogger

It's beyond my comprehension why when so many people have requested this feature and when the technology is so obviously readily available, since so many other devices have it, that the fitbit crew hasn't seen it 'fit' to add it to the devices or even bother to comment on it!

WIrunner
Jogger
I agreed with BLM Pgh - I am beginning to wonder if the Fitbit software developers actually use the products. If they did I would think they would be able to understand how needed the auto pause feature is. If I had not invested so much ($250) buying a Surge. I am now thinking I would not have bought it if I had realized it did not have this feature. I can get it by using Runkeeper or Strava on my iPhone but I prefer not to have carry it on a run or workout. Is anybody with any influence at Fitbit actually reading these posts related to users/customers suggestions and improvement requests?
strips
Jogger

Really disappointing this has not shown up yet. An essential feature!

Come on FitBit. Any update if this will be implemented?

BLM_Pgh
Jogger

This has been requested for over 2 years.

It's beyond my comprehension why when so many people have requested this feature and when the technology is so obviously readily available, since so many other devices/apps have had it for years, that the fitbit crew hasn't seen it 'fit' to add it to the device software or even bother to update their comment on it in 2 years!

Hellloooooooo???????

prairiedoug
Jogger

I agree, but I suppose they have to do a few improvements at a time...Frankly I love the last update that added the mile/lap cues! We asked and they did it! Keep the faith! Maybe it's in the next firmware update!

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

rupsta
First Steps

A response from our FitBit friends would be appreciatedSmiley Happy... yes, no .. maybe !!

Existing customers have been requesting this Auto Pause feature for some time now, how many potential new customers will be wanting it ??

Looking forward to the software update 

cshewchu
Jogger

Definately should include a pause feature.  My Garmin was 5 years old and had a pause feature, so does my Runtastic App.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Must have Heart

gabynagy
Jogger
Hi, previously i tracked my runs with a different app. I really miss the delayed starter and autopause function for more acurate trackngduring my runs.
jjyokohama
First Steps

Please add an auto pause function.  It is a feature found on some older models of other brand of GPS tracking devices and a must for some of us who want to know our true pace - not adding the time at a red light.

It would be nice to be able to modify the autopause by specifying a minimum pace to keep the stopwatch going.  Once you go below that pace, the autopause kicks in until the pace is reached again.

@Gatso wrote:

Can the firmware and app be updated to have an auto pause feature for when you stop to cross a road or tie a lace during workout and walk and run etc. That would be fab.

Moderator edit: Labels and included Mobile App.

alan2908
First Steps

Ability to pause an activity is an important feature - especially for those like me moving from running apps such as Runtastic. Even a manual option (e.g. double press of the Charge HR button) would be better than nothing. I notice Runtastic now have their own tracker device so come on Fitbit - respond to the competition here!

taoduh
Jogger

I know auto-pause is going to be a popular feature request and deservedly so.  I have another idea which might be simpler to impement.

When I manually pause (to stretch, eat, whatever), especially on the bike I often forget to restart.  If the Surge detects that I've gotten started again it could buzz me and ask if I want to resume.  That would solve some frustration.

zach471
Jogger
I'd vote 100 times for this if I could. I can't think of another tracker that doesn't have this feature. There are stoplight people!!
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Good point - when I mountain bike the stop/start button gets pushed accidentally because the hand is moving a different angles, depending on the terrain. Many times the stop button gets pressed as it pushes against the clove that comes near to it at stepp angles. You loose info....which is annoying. Would be nice to have a LOCK feature (press two buttons on both sides of the watch, someting that will not happen accidentally ...)

Thanks

Terririck
Stepping Up

I absolutely Love my FitBit Surge with 1 glaring exception - NO Auto Pause!!  If you really want to use this an an exericse tool that s a big let down!  It shouldn't be that hard to add that in. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
EnjoyToday
Recovery Runner

This is a GREAT idea!

Every time my Best Friend Dog Buddy decides that a particular fire hydrant is of great interest, I stop because it's important for him to have fun, too.  Stopped time sure adds up when walking or running with 'Mister Sniffs-It-All'!

jklay
First Steps

Map my walk and Garmin both have auto pause. It would be great if fitbit did as well. Please consider this as an update. I'd love to not have to get my phone out and pause my app when I stop for a red light or to tie my shoe. 

Thanks!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.