Barcode Scanning for International Food Databases

At the moment, logging food via barcode scanning is only supported for the US food database. I would like the option of food scanning for international food databases as well with nutrition facts.

Moderator edit: Labels

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

290 Comments
Krullebol
Jogger

I'm a new fitbit owner (charge 2)and I was very disappointed that I can't scan Dutch barcodes in the foodlog.

Seeing that this has been a request for many years, disappointed me even more!

Food intake is quite a substantial component for fitness improvements, and I thought my fitbit would help with this.

If you can't enter international food libraries, at least make it possible to link op with local apps who do offer this information 

tomsimmons
Recovery Runner
My suggestion is you use the Fitbit app purely to sync between the device and your account in the cloud and do everything else with the Myfitness range of products,Myfitness pal does all your logging and receives your steps from Fitbit cloud.

Tom

Get Outlook for Android
Krullebol
Jogger
Thanks for the suggestion Tom!
And I'll consider it. But it will be a last resort solution for me.
Because I use fitbit with a group of friends to motivate each other.
So I want fitbit as my main app.

I will start looking for a food app that can upload to the fitbit app
instead.
Do you happen to know if this is a possibility?
Geldrith
First Steps
My fitness pal syncs with fitbit perfectly.

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
Geldrith
First Steps
I use my fitness pal to log my food but only wanted 1 app rather than messing about switching. But alas as this has been an issue for 3 yrs or more i cant see fitbit sorting it.

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
Krullebol
Jogger
Oh so I can import mfp data into fitbit and not just the other way around?

I'll check that out, thanks for the help!
Chrissiefay
Jogger
Yes it's very disappointing and time consuming to manually log food! I do love my Fitbit though and have lost 12kgs by logging food. It's made me very aware of what I am putting in my mouth and the calorific value of everything 😊

Sent from my iPhone
HairyFred
Jogger

Finding this whole thing so pathetic from fitbit. 

Clearly the customer is not important.

Chrissiefay
Jogger
I would think that with everyone in countries other than USA asking for it to be rectified that something would have been done. Very disappointing 🙁

Sent from my iPhone
Vbarry3
Jogger
Good idea

Sent from my iPad
Chrissiefay
Jogger
I'll do that 😊

Sent from my iPhone
Sjonesgb
Jogger
I can't find the Facebook group

Sent from my Huawei Mobile
Traceymarie
First Steps
Hi Tom,

I have a looks at this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
Krullebol
Jogger

I've created a mfp account and it works! I now log my food in mfp and everything else in fitbit.

Had to do some tweaking because mfp changed my starting weight in the fitbit app. But I got that sorted.

Thank you for the quick suggestions!

Wow! Chrissiefay, 12 kg! I hope I have such a good result as well! Congrats! 

Chrissiefay
Jogger
Oh that's very interesting! I'll give that a go! Thanks I'm feeling much better but still need to get rid of the dreaded stomach roll! 😁

Sent from my iPhone
tomsimmons
Recovery Runner

I have discovered today that if you use the MapMyFitness, it records activity, and passes this both to Fitbit where it gets paired with your heart rate monitoring and passes to MyFitnessPal as steps and calories burned.

This is of particular interest to me, because MapMyFitness correctly records cycling activity, which Fitbit again can't be bothered to implement.

Tom

Chrissiefay
Jogger
Thanks Tom, I appreciate you telling me that 😊

Sent from my iPhone
Regis124
First Steps

Why is Fitbit ignoring these requests for barcode scanning international food database additions or even allowing personal databases to add barcodes to custom foods? Fitbit is not cheap and I thought the support would be all over this. I am now stuck with reading labels and manually entering the nutritional info for many foods. Having to use 2 apps is a pain.

Chrissiefay
Jogger
Yes I totally agree with you! It's just not good enough and very time consuming 🙁

Sent from my iPhone
Mariesdutoit
Jogger
I have chosen to go to Polar - I know what I get at least. No more Fitbit
for me
--
Marisa
Sarahp16
Jogger
Agree complained well over a year ago and no improvement still using myfitnesspal – only plus is this will sync into the fitbit app

Sarah

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Chrissiefay
Jogger
Will do 😊

Sent from my iPhone
AttilaN
Jogger
All of you are welcome to join and to invite others 🙂
skratchgonzo
Base Runner

Absolute joke this isn't available. The users will create the database for you just give us the feature! Spent £300 on a watxhbtbst promises the word and half the features don't even work in my country 

psherratt
First Steps

+1.  useless as a food logger.  I really expected to be able to submit missing items but seems to be US only.

Hopefully, I won't find issues with the other 'features', but 1 hour in using the app and I already feel like Fitbit purchase was a mistake.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.