Barcode Scanning for International Food Databases

At the moment, logging food via barcode scanning is only supported for the US food database. I would like the option of food scanning for international food databases as well with nutrition facts.

Moderator edit: Labels

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

290 Comments
gin.williams
Keeping Pace

Even if there's a disclaimer that says it's a user constructed database of barcode information, I'd love to be able to contribute.

I've gone to use it a few times already and it's really frustrating having this feature which can never be used.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @gin.williams, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding barcode scan in international food data bases with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. At the moment it is not planned to implement it. Nonetheless you can still add your vote.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

When scanning a product barcode that is not currently on the UK food database please give the option to submit the new item, including the barcode as well as the nutritional values, so other people can use it, like you do with the US food database.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on your Fitbit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. This is not currently planned at this moment. Learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. I hope to see you around.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I just got my Fitbit Charge 2 and I was surprised to see that there's a food logging feature in the iOS app. Although... I find it very odd that I need to deep dive into the settings in order to select your food database. I think if would make much more sense to have the databases combined into one because of the following reasons:

1) you'd remove the need to select your database (for example if a person travels a lot they'd be in constant need to change the database)

2) what if a food item is available into a database, but not available in the other one?

3) YOU NEED TO ADD FOOD ITEMS FROM MORE COUNTRIES! Fitbit has offices in Romania, but apparently they don't have food items from there, doesn't that seem odd to you?

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. This is not currently planned at this moment. Learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. I hope to see you around.

Stricky341
First Steps

I’ve had my fit bit for awhile now but never really used the app to it full potential.

i currently trying to loose weight and I’m tracking my calories.

I've tried using the barcode scanner quite a few times with no success so I decided to report it to Fitbit.  After a few days of being apologised to I finally got to the bottom of the issue.

The barcode scanner currently only works in the US only, Fitbit have not linked the scanner to any other food database.

When asking if and when this will be resolved, Fitbit were being quite vague about if they will resolve the issue.  One of the advisors  suggested posting the idea on this page and if it is popular enough, Fitbit may consider linking the scanner and the database in the UK to allow the food scanner to work.

Personally I think that its quite poor that I need to ask other Fitbit users to help promote this suggestion just to get Fitbit to make their app work correctly.

i would be very grateful if you would support this suggestion.

Many thanks,

Paul 

Svana
Recovery Runner

I see Only food from Mexico is available but i'm from Argentina and foods are very different and with other brands!

I would like add a food list from my country and i would like scanner bar code.

Thanks!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Svana, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Louprenz
First Steps

It would be amazing if one could not just add foods by scanning the Barcode but by scanning the information of the nutrition box that is printed in a standardised format on every package. This way I can scan every packaged food and then just add the Name of the food after. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Louprenz, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Lea.ribeiro
First Steps
The abilities to scan the code bar of the brazilian food and product.
Since the community here is huge, please help here! And help to keep up the diet.
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Lea.ribeiro, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about having a food scanner for Brazilian foods and products, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

Status changed to: Released
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on the Fitbit app. You can find more details here: How do I log food in the Fitbit app?

@DerrickS, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

Svana
Recovery Runner
Hi
i'm from Argentina. Me gustaria que existiera food databases de mi
pais. Es algo por lo que vengo pidiendo hace mucho tiempo!!
Me gustaria poder encontrar los productos y marcas de mi pais y escanear
los packs!

Ojalá pronto lo puedan hacer!
Muchas gracias!!

*Claudia Goitea*
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.