Barcode Scanning for International Food Databases

At the moment, logging food via barcode scanning is only supported for the US food database. I would like the option of food scanning for international food databases as well with nutrition facts.

Moderator edit: Labels

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

290 Comments
stretch67
First Steps

Please please add the ability to add new products to the food database for Australia

Ceausescu
First Steps

What is this a-few-country-only policy? Is this option available only for the arian race of this planet? It's been so many months and this option is still not available, you just extend this to some privileged countries. Does each user in a non-supported country need to complain and request this option? This is so stupid it makes me wanna return the fitbit watch. I have been using other food logging apps on Android and the community there scanned the barcode themselves and it worked in ALL the countries that I lived in. They did not wait for a big, blue-eyed, blonde, English-speaking biped monkey to get a salary from the company to properly serve his race. For fibit, this also means money in its pocket. But then again, who am I to tell the allmighty arians what is correct and non-discriminatory here? Still, my money were all right, isn't it?

HairyFred
Jogger

There's an army of fitbit users outside of the US who are willing and wanting to help here. Why not use them?
If you're not going to add this then remove it or alter the text so we know this doesn't work outside the US.
No idea why this isn't enabled world wide.

HairyFred
Jogger
I can't believe this function is geo-limited. Crazy. Fitbit really need to unlock this everywhere.
B1TNY
First Steps

I am new to FitBit but is is a great dissapointment that here in the UK we are unable to scan food barcodes. When will this be available?

@DerrickFitbit wrote:

At the moment, logging food via barcode scanning is only supported for the US food database. I would like the option of food scanning for international food databases as well.

Andi2016
First Steps
Quite annoyed...bought my Fitbit Charge today...I want to scan some barcodes and I find out this feature is not available in Canada! So why are you charging us full price and then some for a device that doesn't let us use all the features. I was so excited when I finally decided to bite the bullet. Now I may end up taking it back. It's supposed to have call display but I can't seem to get that feature to work either. False advertising if you ask me!
Waft
First Steps

Yes, please let us add food in Canada.  We could stock up your database in a matter of weeks.  It is frustrating not to have the same features as the US when I paid so much for my Blaze watch and Aria scale.  Is there a timeframe in which this feature will be added?

k00st0ch
Jogger

Fitbit doesnt give a **ahem** about this. Fitbit gives a **ahem** about making money

AmandaFìtbit
First Steps

I'm an Australian user and have paid a lot of money for my fitbit Alta. I previously owned a fitbit charge. With the Alta I was thrilled it came with a Barcode scanner so I could make sure I was eating healthy. What a shock and disappointment to find its "useless" as it can only be used in the USA. If you sell a product overseas it should be able to use all its functions. This is unfair considering we pay the full amount yet do not receive all the same features. Please allow the other countries this is sold in to have use of the features. I'd love to help add Barcode and products so myself and others can get healthier quicker.

Moderator Edit: Labels

SteoG972
Stepping Up

...so why don't just add the feature for which users can create their 'on device' custom food database? it looks much more easier to implement, rather than populate a number of international databases.

Cheers

StalkS
First Steps

I too didn't even consider that this wouldn't work in the UK before purchase. Please fix as this is quite frustrating and a potential waste of useful data. Also having to trawl a support forum when the app itself should warn non US buyers should be a fundimental implementation. 

Amazon review posted to warn inform other UK buyers.

StalkS

d4rkcell
First Steps

still not working in the UK, highly frustrating, its working in the USA, some foods are in the database so theres a database there why not let us help make it better? UK is a large market with quite a few fitbit ads on TV, you are selling your UK customers short but not your US customers?

HairyFred
Jogger
Only a few foods scan in the UK.

Not entirely sure that fitbit pay much attention to these pages so I'd suggest emailing this issue tip then would be a good idea.
Dave0436
Jogger
This function needs to go live in the UK. There are already so many other databases out there that could be tapped into.
Or simply allow people to populate the data Base by scanning an item then photographing it and entering the data from the label. With a verification function where other users can certify the accuracy of the data. Once established the data Base can populate and manage itself without and further input from Fitbit.
Emphex
First Steps

Another UK resident here...Loving the fitbit but the inability to add barcodes to the database is frustrating as there seem to be only a few scannable options here.  Any updates on when this might go live?

Chinski
First Steps
The under armour app myfitnesspal allows a UK database and connects to my fitbit. It makes sense to switch apps for me if you went support this...
HairyFred
Jogger
Anyone directly emailed them?
Chinski
First Steps
Well, I got hold of them via Twitter. I think that generally, social media like Twitter and Facebook are great places to ask these questions as its public and others can join in.

I don't really use Facebook, but if it's your thing, I bet they have a page you could post on...
AttilaN
Jogger
I think a Facebook group might be effective.
It is really nice how FitBit keeps disregarding users' comments...

Anyone willing to create the FB page?
Sarahp16
Jogger

This would be a huge benefit to your app in the UK.  I currently use Myfitnesspal and sync the food through to Fitbit.  But it would be nice to be able to do everything in one place.  Also really annoying to say help us by taking some extra photos and then nothing happens at the very least replace those instructions with add manually.

Thanks looking forward to an even better experience Smiley Very Happy

Giggitti
Recovery Runner
If your taking Canadian Sales then we should have the same support meaning a Canadian food database, and the ability to add data.
Status changed to: New
CallieM
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

AsterisK86
Jogger

Why is this still not implemented??? 

HairyFred
Jogger
To be honest I don't think they even read this forum.
HairyFred
Jogger

Don't know why the topic had been set to new as it's been going on for ages.

So disappointing to see such a lack of action.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.