Better weight lifting tracking reps w/ automatic detection

Two of my main workouts are weight lifting and ellipticalling, neither of which are very well tracked with the Fitbit Versa. It would be great if the weights feature could track reps and log weight, not just heart rate. Automatic detection too.

And for ellipticalling, I've just been settling with using the generic workout type, which just tracks heart rate. I can't even log distance and steps afterwards.

Also, I've had some trouble with the automatic screen on, as sometimes when I lift the watch up, the screen doesn't light up. So making that more sensitive would be appreciated.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and label

19 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter @dan12321

Please know that we take all comments seriously and are always looking for ways to improve.

Let's see what other users think about this idea.

Irek
Jogger

totally agree on gym features. we should be able to create gym program in the app / on the website - select exercises, number of sets, rest time etc. Then we should just follow and adjust it (+/- sets, weight) on the watch. It would be great not to have to take phone to the gym...

wbadawi
Jogger

I Agree, what would be great to have also an adjustable rest timer between Reps 

KMTMA
Jogger

May be joining this thread late, but wanted to add that having the ability to create a gym/resistance training program that has sets/reps and rest times would be an incredibly valuable feature.

Meaux83
First Steps

Adding my voice to this request as well so that Fitbit sees this is a need of its users.  I too do weights and elliptical. I would think this is a gym workout combinations many people do.   I had a Garmin Vivosmart before, but liked the style of the new Versa.  I hope Fitbit make their features more robust so we have style and functionality!   Specifically being able to count distance/steps on elliptical and reps on weights/type similar to the Garmin.

LAGC
Recovery Runner

I'd like some sort of simple counter which you can manually set, like touch the screen and every time the value goes up by one.  It's easy to lose track of sets with so many distractions at the gym.  Would be a useful feature.  

rmickler
Stepping Up

I too would love a better way of tracking my lifting.  I've been searching for other apps to do this out of frustration.  I want to keep track of reps, sets and weight.  So I can easily see what i lifted the day before or the last time and I can improve.  This would be an awesome addition to my versa. 

Thanks in advance for adding this feature!!!

lusciousblue
Stepping Up

Weight lifting is an important part of my fitness routine. I think this would be an amazing feature to have.

JC32947
First Steps

Same as Dan12321, would like that capability also. Weights and elliptical.

mc.kenna.xc
First Steps

I'd like it if there was a way to log your weightlifting workout more in depth when you have your phone with you in the gym. If there was a feature in the app to type in what lifts you did, how many reps it was for, how many sets, and how much weight was used for that lift. 

SJDoyle2020
Jogger
I noticed that resistance training is not included in the list of activities that you can manually log. Weights is included, however, a resistance training workout can use body weight or bands. Lifting 250 lbs is different from doing push-ups. There are limited options to choose from
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SJDoyle2020, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to log in a better way weight lifting and elliptical exercises. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

TrophicDynamics
First Steps
The trackers needs to have a proper weight lifting log feature. When weight training we need to log the type of lift (deadlift, bench press,etc), the amount of weight being lifted, the number of reps and sets.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @dan12321, thanks for explaining why you would like to have a better weight lifting and elliptical tracking option. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

IgorV
First Steps
You need to add “weightlifting” to the Auto Recognized Exercises section of the app
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @IgorV, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to add “weightlifting” to the Auto Recognized Exercises section of the Fitbit app. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

SteveSteveG
First Steps

Fitbit watch should be able to detect type of exercise (eg bench press, curls) and number of reps of each exercise. Should also have a timer you can set between sets. It could then keep a log of your entire workout.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SteveSteveG, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding automatic detection for weight lifting tracking reps and type of exercise. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums. 

MiracleTonic
First Steps

I wouldn't even mind if my Sense didn't have automatic detection, since Garmin watches can be pretty inaccurate with it. But just the option to manually add exercises, weight and reps should really be standard on any fitness watch.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.