Bring the old food log interface back.

It appears that the food log input format changed today (2/13/18). Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me? The new format is much more cumbersome in my opinion. I prefer the original format. Any input/comments/recommendations welcome!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

239 Comments
grunebachm
Jogger

There was finally more detailed stats and sugar tracking and this mob of people unwilling to have a little change chased those long sought-after features away. Shame.

Would have rather seen this format worked with and improved. Users should have a choice to use either.

ashwolve
Interval Runner

@grunebachm Hi and Welcome - from what I understand this is a temporary roll back while they fix some major issues with the new format - some may not have experienced these but a lot have expressed that the miss calculations in calories, the missing food inputs, the extremely slow loading speed of the page wasn't acceptable - plus it wasn't a little change that would have been just add the sugar it was a major revamp and whereas it is known that change will happen many believed it wasn't well thought through - as a food logging page the main feature should have been to log food not scroll past graphs or wait for history to load,

I agree that users should have the choice (for a while at least) while the new format and functions get the oddities and bugs ironed out - for which Fitbit needs to listen and react fast to customer feedback - I don't know if you have ready any of my others posts in here but I refer to a suggested front page for food logging that's a cross between the both using a dropdown to get graphs and history (so these are downloaded on request so should shorten the time to load the page - would you like to take a look to see if it is a suitable compromise and if you like give it a thumbs up,(link at bottom of page 8 at time of writing)

I appreciate that everyone will have different ideas but it may have been a better start point than to just put a mobile platform format onto a desktop system

so again the newer format will be back - with sugar hopefully but even when it does return there are loads of upgrades to make the function better for all to use

these are only my views and opinions and don't mean to cause offense or call anyone out but only to put forward another line of thought that may work for all

Kind Regards

Wayne

Posting
Jogger
I dislike your summary and tone. Again, and again- I reported because the new app did not work on the only device I have to use this- the ipad. You choose not to read that.
When a change is made, user testing needs to be done thoroughly. Many people wrote about long loading times, freezing, etc. If you cannot scroll past the huge graph at top, the site was rendered useless.

Sent from my iPad
ashwolve
Interval Runner

@Posting you have probably tried the known troubleshoots for iPad but can I ask if it was just the food logging page you had issues with scrolling or does it happen with other Fitbit pages or even other sites - im no expert with IOS devices but would suggest trying the following should you have problems with the return of the newer version or any other page you have problems with.

1. - 2 finger scrolling/ sometimes single finger movements do not register depending on the type of site/page
2. - do a long press on the frame until the menu comes up & then I choose open in new tab. ( This way it opens as a tab rather than a frame, and all functionality is returned)
3. - If it's a pdf then I long press & choose open in open in ibooks .  (appreciate this nothing to do with Fitbit but may help if you get stuck with this programme also)

also it maybe down to your preferred browser as well (I think Safari has a particular dislike to some websites on the Ipad) if you continue to have problems maybe the IOS forum will have persons who have experienced similar issues and be able to assist you further IOS App

if you use the @ a list of users will appear so you can direct your enquiry maybe to a specific person if you find it would be helpful to talk to a specific person,

Sorry if I have stated the obvious I don't mean to be condescending in any way but I do not know where else to start

hope this helps a little

kind regards

Wayne

PLeeC
Recovery Runner

@grunebachm  - To characterize a majority of serious users -- about 99% in fact -- who clearly pointed out the deficiencies and problems with the prematurely published logging interface, is not only inflammatory and insulting, it shows a lack of acknowledgement of the issues encountered --  and points to an egotistical way of trying to delegitimize the users and the issues. Selfish 'spinning' through inappropriate re-framing is not the answer here.

G-B
Jogger

If you are going to proceed with new food log there is one thing I noticed when trying to log a new food in was the nutritional information for vitamin and mineral content was in grams not in percentage.

LordCastle
First Steps

I'm fairly new to Fitbit products and services, and so far I have been very pleased, especially with the app.  Being able to use the app to track everything (including a great food log) has been wonderful.  One day, shortly after starting to use the food log (days), I noticed it got an overhaul.  At first, I thought something had messed up and I was seeing an older version, as the styling and UI don't match the dashboard page like the food log I was used to.

Imagine my surprise (and sadness) when I discovered this thread, and that this change was intentional.  Please bring back the original format; it was much more informative and had a better user experience.

ashwolve
Interval Runner

@LordCastle Hi and Welcome - please note as you are new to Fitbit services that the view you are referring to was a newer one and what you see now is the original - it has been changed back because it was riddled with faults and bugs so there was a requirement to revert while these are being sorted out (IMO its never a good idea to put a mobile based programme on a desktop function) but by your profile you will know more on this subject than I ever would (you may have not experienced the issues but a lot of us did so whereas they maybe some who just don't like the change a lot was a genuine reason to ask for the roll back if that makes sense) - but to that end should you require the newer version it is available on the mobile platform less a few pieces of information - the change to the desktop back to the old version from what I understand is temporary while the fixes are put in place - but If I am really honest with you the whole newer version needs to be revisited as to most it shows irrelevant information that we have to scroll past to get to the main function of logging food - if you are interested in looking at a concept page that can incorporate the old that we are all used to and the new which I believe is the only one you know of please take a look at my suggested page - Suggested new food page Format

As far as the rest goes the following link will give you more details on the issues and will be where the Moderators provide further updates on the re-implementation of the shall we call it HTML5 based view New Food Logging Page

hope to see you around the forums

Kind Regards

Wayne

LordCastle
First Steps

Oh wow, so I started with the new page (briefly) and the one I don't like is the old one (Current); interesting.  Thanks for the information @ashwolve!  I'm looking forward to the re-release of the new version, and I hope that it will be updated to make everyone happy 🙂

Quartermaine75
Recovery Runner

I agree with the negatives with regards to the new version. I may have things wrong, and might be thinking back to my days when I used MapMyRun, etc... But wasn't there an ability to create your own recipes using grouped foods? I.E. I could scan the bar codes on certain things that I would use regularly to make a dish (smoothies?), and name it & save it. I had three different types of smoothies that I used frequently, and it was great to just add that recipe to my daily food log as my breakfast! Now I have to add each ingredient for each smoothie every morning, which takes way too long! I can't do that on most mornings, as I get up and have to be out the door as soon as I suck my smoothie down.  It used to allow me to track all my stats without having to enter the darn thing every day. Save a recipe to your "faves" and that way I can log it anytime with one click and be out the door. Doing it the "new way"? Ain't gonna happen... I love my Ionic. I love Fitbit, being the closest thing I have been able to find to replace my old Microsoft Band 2. I hate the food log. Might have to start researching alternatives if they don't fix this!

ashwolve
Interval Runner

@Quartermaine75 Hi - if I understand your comment correctly the new dashboard did have the same function to create a meal but it was on the right hand side near the bottom of the menu and was titled Meals (just above water input) also at the top was another tab to log food/log meal its was just trial and error to find that you could still make up a meal by recipe and use that as a single log (it will still separate al the ingredients in the actual time of day you input it as ) - in my previous post I put a link to a compromise between the 2 different versions that may have helped to stop some of the confusion - although the pictures are of a poorer quality it will show you the positions of the meal sections

as for scanning barcode it has never worked here in the UK and TBH I don't think it ever will as it has been over 3 years since the issue was brought up with Fitbit officially

hope this helps a little when they change again

regards

Wayne

Quartermaine75
Recovery Runner
Hey Wayne, thanks for the reply! I will check out your links and see if I
can't find a way to make it work out the way I remember.
ashwolve
Interval Runner

@Quartermaine75  Please note that the processes stated are for the Fitbit.com web version and not the Mobile app - the mobile app inly allows you to add 1 food not plan a whole meal but once it is added into the pc/laptop variant you should be able to access it under custom or my foods on the app

Regards

Wayne

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.