Call Notification Should Vibrate Like Alarm

When receiving a call the vibration should continue for the duration of the alert ("ringing") on your phone, with the option to "silence" the notification by pressing the button, like the silent alarm function.  In its current state, it's way too easy to miss an incoming call.

Moderator edit: labels.

174 Comments
Poggs
Jogger

I found the vibrate alarm useful for when you are asleep and your phone is on silent to let you know of an incoming call. However, it would be better to be able to set the vibration to more than just one buzz like text alerts...

Grieg
Jogger

I am a returning customer as I had a Force that was returned. I sometimes have trouble hearing my i-phone ring, and looked forward to call notification for the Force, which never came to fruition.... Recently took advantage of coupon for Force customers and purchased and received a Charge. Liked improvements that were made, however the vibration for call notification is ANEMIC....can hardly feel it at all.

Tested the vibrate for alarm and it works fine, no way to miss that, but the vibrate for call notification is terrible and was the main reason I opted to try the Charge. Please provide a firmware update that addresses this issue.

Regards

dartagnan
First Steps

It is almost unusable. Labeling one small vibration as "call notification" on fitbit Charge is ridiculus. This can not be noticed at all. Did someone tested this feature in real life before implementing ? It is the same like mobile producer will implement one small (hardly hearable) "click" sound for calling ! Why this is not working at least like your silent alarm ?

My suggestion: Calling notification has to be constatnt vibration (or some patern) and has to finish once you pickup or cancel the call. Or second more sofisticated way is to leave this option to users (pic the patern, set how many time to repeat or when it has to finish).

MarcusMarcus
Base Runner

I notice it most of the time. I do think there should be a setting to choose how many times you want it to vibrate or make it continual vibrate until it stops ringing, push the button on the fitbit, or tap the screen of the fitbit.

@dartagnan Can you add the Charge HR to the tags/labels on this post?

dartagnan
First Steps

Hi Marcus, If you notice this most of the time, then good for you 🙂 Still "most of the time" is not "all the time". Unfortunately for me this is useless, most of the time I do not notice it. I believe that this can be really easy to fix and provide the new firmware update (inclusding email or sms notification).

I have edited the post on your recommendation and added also Charge HR but even in editing I see it right on the post itself this label is still missing. Another bug ? 🙂

MarcusMarcus
Base Runner

Great, thanks for trying to add the label.

I've tested and found that the times I don't notice it is because it doesn't work. Seems to be a bug that the bluetooth connection has to reset (I've seen a couple other people mentions this) and a coulpe of times the call notification setting turns itself off. Also noticed my phone rings a few times before my fitbit notifies me (actually answered the phone once and was talkign when it finally vibrated), maybe this is because the bluetooth reset itself). I hope they fix that bug, I'm going to contact fitbit support to make sure they know of the issue.

Also hope they implement this feature you suggested as I would like it to have a longer vibration. I wonder if your vibration is weaker than mine, mine seems fairly strong, or maybe I wear my fitbit tighter so it is more noticable.

Wonder9boy
First Steps
I just finished commenting on this exact same subject for the Fitbit Surge. I mention that I thought that vibration settings for call notifications and SMS messages should be configurable as well. Hopefully Fitbit will continue to put out these great devices and listen to its customers and give us what we requested as features.
yangas
Stepping Up

Yes I agree with you guys, call and text notification seem useless, especailly for call notification! also a timestamp on when the notification was recieved will be great too.

dianemarie
Recovery Runner

Please make the caller id notification stronger and longer for the Charge. I got this tracker for my mom because she never hears her phone. Well she can't feel this tracker vibrate either and neither do I. Did you guys really test this because I can't see why no one else figured this out? We will have to return this because it was an ordeal to get the darn thing to actually show the calls, and now that its working we miss them anyway. The notification needs to vibrate like the alarm several times at least three and show the name longer. (Or at least allow the individual user to customize the strength and length of notifications because people have different sensitivities to certain senses such as touch)

GeeGee95
First Steps

I got a Fitbit Charge for Christmas. I love everything on it so far except for the Caller ID vibration. My husband called me four times in a row and I did not feel it vibrating. I thought maybe it was not working. I had my phone in my pocketbook on my shoulder. I got my mom to call my phone so I could check it. I felt it vibrate for about 1 second and that was it. If you are busy like I was when my husband called, you wouldn't even notice the vibration. It does need to vibrate longer or let us configure the settings for the vibration. Also when mom called, it just showed a picture of a phone on the Charge and not actual Caller ID?

geoffnotjeff
First Steps

The call notification/vibrate feature of the Charge was one of the key features I was looking for when I can to update ny fitness tracker.

I've read another thread suggesting the vibrate feature for the call notificaitons should be stronger, and I'd certainly support that, but how about going a step further an allow customisable notificaitons so the user can set the vibrtate pattern for incoming calls.  The current quick light vibrate is simply not strong enough.

EricainHI
Recovery Runner

This is exactly how my Fitbit Charge HR has worked so far. Yesterday my wrist started vibrating, I thought "whoa I don't have an alarm set what is that. Looked down and my Charge HR said, "Mom". I wouldn't have even known she was calling as the ringer on my cell was turned down. Great feature.

dondi10
First Steps
I tItaly agree with Speil8. I also with the vibration was more in sync with the beginning of the ringing of the incoming call. I have noticed that my phone will ring 5sec or more and then I get the short little buzz.
dondi10
First Steps
That should have been: I totally agree with Speil8 and I wish the vibration was more in sync with the start of the incoming call. I really like the caller ID feature. I can't really use my phone at work so it is nice to see who is calling. I do wish there was a way to scroll back& look at the caller ID on the Charge after the call came thru in case I couldn't look at my Charge the second it went off.
dondi10
First Steps
I agree!!!!
dondi10
First Steps
Sounds awesome!
stevew_68
Strider

Totally agree. I have had my charge a couple of days now and not once have I noticed the notification. It is set up correctly as well.

stevew_68
Strider

On the charge, can we have an update or something to have a stronger call notification vibration. At the moment is so weak you barely feel it, and I think it only buzzes once. Maybes also have options in the setting to customise the vibrate, like strength, length, or pulse effect vibrate etc. 

Loads of people are complaining about how weak the vibrate is. I am assuming your soon to be released Charge HR will be the same.

jy12345
First Steps

Exactly agree. It is a great feature but dumb setup. Did developers ever try themselves if they miss any 'notifications' by just one little buzz?

Fav150
Base Runner

This needs to happen! 

twindux
Recovery Runner

Agree. Not stronger, because at least on my Charge it's already too loud, but either a repeated short buzz, or a single longer one. Or, even better, the ability to designate the typ of buzz notification you'd like.

UPDATE: I received a new Charge under warranty in April after the button came off. The vibration is much less loud on this one, but it is still just as noticeable on the wrist. Maybe a new vibration motor supplier? Either way, color me happy on this.

Would still love different patterns for different needs, though

Jnet520
First Steps

Great idea. Hope you are listened to. 

big9erfan
Base Runner

So I got my first call today while wearing my Charge HR.  The vibration alert was so subtle that I almost didn't notice anything happened, it was a short vibrate and then nothing (other than the scrolling data across the screen).  I'd really like to be able to even slightly customize how long (or how many) vibrations I get for the call alert. 

ogion
First Steps

Have the choice (or custom) vibration options for different notifications.  One for an incoming call, and different pattern for a text.

Alysha487
Jogger
I think there should be a setting for the call notification vibration. I would love my charge to vibrate like it does for the alarm when I get a phone call. I hate missing calls and the one vibrate very rarely gets my attention.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.