Charge 4 screen brightness boost

For direct sunlight situations, add an ability to boost screen brightness temporarily, i.e. one-time event, through an easy to access while exercising method e.g. through a screen tap/scroll sequence. Enable the user to determine the preferred method in the Settings on the Charge 4 device.
315 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @eschroedermark, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to add an ability to boost screen brightness temporarily on Charge 4. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

danfry69
Strider

This is actually so crucial that I am considering sending back my FB4 and reverting to the FB2 which had no such problems. It is odd that FB spent so much time on bells and whistles (which after awhile are overwhelming, is the beep for a message, the fact I am in Fat Burning, I hit 10,000 steps, a phone call, a calendar entry, or the new one, which I assume is fitbit points for effort) and totally missed the brightness issue. The dull lit words are impossible to see unless you are inside. Right now, this is a HUGH disappointment. Might as well look at it at the end of the day for how many steps you have and that's it! Right now if I rate the FB4 (and that is for the FB2 features) it would barely get a three out of 5 stars.

higghinss
Jogger

I agree with the other posters. Screen brightness is crucial. I am having several problems with my new FB 4, that I am considering abandoning it for another fitness tracker. I would not have said a week ago. I am so disappointed with the FB 4. The screen brightness issue just might be the last straw. I was a big fan of the FB app and my old Charge 2 device. I can’t believe how disappointing the “upgrade” has been.

Dan123456789
Jogger

Agree. Major issue and needs update ASAP. 

Noodle61
Jogger

Agree whole heartedly. I'm not a runner but walk a lot every day.  It's an absolute pain trying to see what is on the screen during the day.  Even trying to see if the watch has connected to gps is a trial.  Something needs to be done about this.  Most people would be using fitbit for outdoor exercise so you would think that it would be a pretty normal requirement for a fitness watch. Commonsense really. Come on fitbit time to fix this massive flaw. 

BigDaveRanger
Jogger

When I run, I like to see how far I’ve run, especially on new routes, My pace, how long I’ve been running & keep an eye on my heart rate, I can’t do any of this, because I can’t see the screen In daylight. I’ve actually put my charge 4 back in the box and I’m using an older Fitbit that I can see the screen on. 

danfry69
Strider
I am tempted to do the same thing. It is apparent that no one at Fitbit actually took the tracker outside. O for that matter actually tried to read the duller, smaller text in any kind of environment other than in a dark room.

I am quite surprised they haven't risen to the concerns and done something to fix the problems.

Daniel
SteveHaynes67
Recovery Runner

I too have to express my disappointment in the screen brightness! I'm a 50 year old mountain biker who has been a loyal Fitbit owner over many years and the Charge 4 is the 3rd FB watch I've owned.

The screen is virtually impossible to view outdoors and I'm seriously considering returning it as it's just not fit for purpose.

Please look into this as a matter of urgency before too much damage is done as this has the potential to be an ideal compact GPS tracker if this issue is resolved.

Longer timeout would be useful too 😉

Regards,

Steve.

danfry69
Strider
Dead on Steve ! I have reverted to my FB HR2 and am happy with that. The HR4 has been boxed up and put aside.
BigDaveRanger
Jogger

Mine is back in the box too, I’ve gone back to my Fitbit surge, I’ve how got a €150 Fitbit that I can’t use.

danfry69
Strider
Let's hope that in a few months they have figured all these things out and we can update the FB4; otherwise, this tarnishes their reputation. Instead of writing fluff commentary; how about they send a note to all their Users saying that they are trying to resolve the problems.
thelist
Jogger

Yup, and increase the font size while you are at it!

Randy32169
Jogger

I totally agree. It’s a big drawback. Larger font is needed as well. 

IHandfull
Jogger

My Charge 4 screen is not bright enough outside either, whether on normal or auto.

The ONLY reason I purchased a new Fitbit was because the Charge 3 screen blacked out outside. I receive the Charge 4 and the screen is barely visible outside.

There's honestly no reason to own/wear a Fitbit if you can't read it outside.

swampmilkweed
Strider

Thank you so VERY much to all who commented on the screen brightness. I have some issues with my Versa 2, but I can read it in bright sunlight. My Alta was impossible to read outside. I HAD considered getting a Charge 4 for my husband, but now I certainly won't.  The Versa 2 is FAR too generous with steps sometimes awarding me steps when I've been sitting for ten minutes. That said, I love the timer. I have serious glaucoma, so the timer and the alarms are a huge help to me remembering when and how long to apply by eye drops. Thank you all again!!

danfry69
Strider
Absolutely, do not buy the 4. But, if you want to buy a reasonable FB, buy the 2 for Hubby. I have reverted back and it is more than adequate and cheaper than the 4.
Werwolf
First Steps

Most points mentioned here affect me as well. It's really hard to believe that in daylight not even sunlight, I need to go indoors to read the time, which is in large letters.

While I was happy with all devices so far e.g. Charge 1, Charge 2, Surge; and my kids love their Aces ... the low brightness on the 4 is a huge disappointment. 

Please fix asap.

Lozfoxxx
First Steps

Agree agree agree. Thought there was a fault on my device until I read this.

MalibuBill
Keeping Pace

I completely agree.  This issue needs to be addressed.  I like to be able to read the screen while cycling, to see speed, distance, HR, etc.  It is very difficult to do that while riding, and actually becomes a safety issue since a simple glance at the display isn't enough to read it, you need to puzzle out the dim characters, which takes extra time and diverts your eyes from the road.

IHandfull
Jogger

I logged onto Fitbit this morning to change some settings, and this is their main screen advertisement, which I thought was very pertinent to this conversation we're having. Yes, Fitbit, our goals have a place in the sun, but obviously our Fitbit Charge 4 (and Charge 3) do not.
PS: If this seems off-topic, or might drive the conversation away from our goal to get the screen brightened, let me know and I'll delete it. I just about spit out my coffee when I read this though.

image0.jpeg

danfry69
Strider
Did they actually write that the watches don’t have a place in the sun? If so, I wonder if they have a possible solution. That would be amazing!

Sent from my iPhone
pjhurley01
First Steps

Unable to read (or even see) the display in the outdoors. After rebooting the device the 'smiley face' comes up, (relatively bright)... then reverts to a dull & dim setting that is exceptionally difficult to see anywhere other than in a dark or dimly lit room.  Some guidance regarding a resolution or a firmware update to remedy this challenge would be greatly appreciated.

Randy32169
Jogger
Do be sure to check the settings on your Charge 4. I somehow got my Brightness set to dim. This makes it almost impossible to read, even indoors. I do still think that the normal brightness level cannot be seen outdoors during the day.

Sent from my iPad
swampmilkweed
Strider
I was considering a Charge 4 for my husband. I must have hit a nerve as
there are so very many responses. I now know not to buy the charge 4,
but I surely hope that the Fitbit company will come up with a fix for
the dim display.
Werwolf
First Steps

@Randy32169 thanks for your hint. Mine was "Dim" as well for some reason. Better now but still not really bright enough for sunny day. Based on this setting already existing, I am hoping that it's a doable thing to add a "High" setting besides Normal and Dim? Plus, wouldn't it be great if this setting can also be controlled through the app? Keeping my fingers crossed that the relevant people act on this soon...

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.