Choose Which Friends See Profile Elements

My wife and I reciently purchaesd a charge hr and a surge. We also have friends that use fitbit. We would like to share all the intimate details with each other but not with our friends. Can a teared system of be implemented to allow my wife and I to see weight and other more personal info while letting friends see our progress.

Moderator Edit: Added labels and updated Feature Request title.

55 Comments
amarshall6714
First Steps

I would love to be able to share certain things in my Profile with specific people and have them share theirs with me. Rather than only having the options of "You"/"Friends"/"Anyone," there could also be a "Custom" option where you can add specific friends to the categories. Thanks!! 🙂

Gznuk
First Steps

I understand not being able to see all the details of your friends' days as far as activity goes, but there are times where I wish I could see more and let others see more of my stats. For instance, I have family members that I compete with on a daily basis who also have fitbits and being able to see all the different stats each day would really increase each of our activity. Obviously, this should just be a setting you can change, like moderate privacy or fully open to friends, or whatever. But the addition would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator edit: Title & Labels

Michael
5K Racer

@Gznuk You already can control what your friends can/can't see on the privacy settings page.

Gznuk
First Steps
I meant from the app, not the website.

Sent from my iPhone
IDBash
Jogger

This! ^

lyndz
Recovery Runner

Exactly what I'd like too! Would be great to be able to show some info to some friends and some to others. 🙂 Custom would be awesome!

brownphilipl
First Steps

This is soemthing I have raised also - I am looking for a "family" group setting so that there are  privacy options other than "friends" and "everyone".  Within the Browser and App there needs to be the ability to create a group where privacy settings can be set at the group level.  Not sure how best this is accomplished but it would be akin to the "FAMILY" within the Apple Environment for purchases etc.  I would like the ability to not share my data with everyone, share minimal data with my friends but perhaps all my data with my family memebrs and vice versa. 

ejcbrown
First Steps

I agree - this is an important feature and would help me enormously with my goals by promoting family competition and monitoring.  I need to be able to share information with my family that I do not want everyone and my froends to see.

browncrc
First Steps

I think this would be an extremely beneficial feature to the Fitbit app/system. I would very much like to be able to share with just my family and not have my friends see my weight etc. Please add this as a feature!! It would also be very beneficial to quickly make challenges with my family. 

snazzymustache
Stepping Up

Currently, there are just 3 settings, which essentially are:

Private (just me) / Friends/ Anyone on the platform

I know this is a consiterable dev-effort - but, I think this is a worthwhile feature request. - My best buddy and I are currently in a weight-loss challenge - and we want to be able to share progress with just each other, not the entire world, or our entire friends list... as a result - we send screencaptures daily of our progress - this somewhat defeats the purpose of us both getting Aria scales.

Another usecase: my girlfriend and I want to help each other eat better - so it would be nice for us to see each other's caloric intake logs, without it being public info to our whole friend list.

I'm tempted to go in and do a purge of my friends list to only close/trusted friends vs the current larger list that I have - 100% because I cannot set these granular levels of privacy... but for Fitbit, this decreases interactions, and therefore stikiness - so I would love it if you guys could add this cool feature.

Nalband
First Steps

Awesome idea, Ryan!  I'd love this as well!

artmcqueen
First Steps

This is a neat idea. I could use this.

4pmSlam
First Steps

I enjoy this idea and would benefit from it if it was implemented!

Anters
First Steps

This feature is a must - I had not realized how bad the level of privacy options were until I read this - I have no turned off all my intimate data points so friends could nto see them - they could before - but of course I do want my family members to be able to see the progress I am making and them mine - I wonder how many other fitbit users are unaware of this - I have recently added friends as they have requested it and was happy to do so - but not for them to see my weight etc.  Please let me know when this feature makes it into development and is scheduled for App / Browser release.  Thank you.

Whitedonkey
First Steps
I am a fan of this request. I would use this to be fat shamed by just a small number of close friends.
mattybeatz
First Steps

I definitely would take advantage of this! 

HeyChickie
First Steps

I would love this. I have different friends that I'd love to have different accountability with. My privacy is important as is theirs. I would love more customization for friends and what is shared. Love, Love, Love!

@snazzymustache wrote:

I know this is a consiterable dev-effort - but, I think this is a worthwhile feature request. - My best buddy and I are currently in a weight-loss challenge - and we want to be able to share progress with just each other, not the entire world, or our entire friends list... as a result - we send screencaptures daily of our progress - this somewhat defeats the purpose of us both getting Aria scales.

Another usecase: my girlfriend and I want to help each other eat better - so it would be nice for us to see each other's caloric intake logs, without it being public info to our whole friend list.

I'm tempted to go in and do a purge of my friends list to only close/trusted friends vs the current larger list that I have - 100% because I cannot set these granular levels of privacy... but for Fitbit, this decreases interactions, and therefore stikiness - so I would love it if you guys could add this cool feature.

@snazzymustache wrote:

Spoiler
@snazzymustache wrote:

liebly
Base Runner

I DID purge my friends for this VERY REASON!!

HeyChickie
First Steps

If you put a challenge together then obviously you see who is participating in that challenge. But I know people who won't get a fit bit because they can't pick their privacy. I get it. I don't need people seeing who I'm linked to either.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

bostonsonoma
Stepping Up

I asked for this a year or two ago but it looks like that post has disappeared. (I think they changed the forum software since the last time I poked around in this section)

I'll upvote it, and maybe this time there will at least be an official comment.

browles78
Stepping Up

A Family group option is a must!!  So glad to see others posting the need for this.  I do not wish to share every detail with friends and coworkers, but would love for family and my husband to be able to see more of my daily activities, progress, and such.  As of this moment, he can see my steps and my profile picture, because that is all I'm allowing coworkers to see.  I'd really like to keep my private life separate from my professional one.  

brownphilipl
First Steps
This would be very useful
Anters
First Steps

I hope Fitbit can incorporate this feature soon

izazael
Stepping Up

More privacy levels is definitely a must; there are groups of people you want to share certain information with and others you want to hide it from, but right now it's all or nothing.

It'd be great to have this implemented soon.

verres
First Steps

yes -- this should be a no-brainer...simply allow users to create 1 or 2 additional 'roles/user classes' - with visibilty options -- you can even give them one 'teaser' custom group with 'add-ons' in your premium package $49.99/year....   this should be high priority...since you want folks to encourage the networking of fitbit...but currently you leave me no choices but to share everything with everyone or nothing with nobody...    not great.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.