Collaborative not competitive challenges

When your group of friends in a challenge all have different step goals it can actually be demotivating to constantly be losing out if you don't have the capacity to compete.

Why not have a challenge where the group commits to reach a high step goals of, say, 100,000 in a week. Everyone joins in to try and do a bit. Everyone contributes that which they can manage.

45 Comments
Dnk6901
First Steps

I love goal day challenges but I would love to see goal week challenges! For example if I have a 10,000 steps a day goal for work week I would need to get 50,000 steps to earn a star in the challenge! That way a work week hustle doesn't have a runaway winner and those that are working hard to achieve their goals are rewarded! I want to see all the friends I challenge do well!

Moderator edit: added labels

Jmdavidson
First Steps

I absolutely agree this is a feature would be a great addition. 

Fiedler
First Steps

This would be amazing to have a goal week challenge, but instead of getting the total number of steps, give people points for each day they meet their goal, could be based on a percentage of their goal met.

tylereav
First Steps

Love this. It’s exactly what I’d like. Because it would keep me more motivated to keep up. I might work even harder the next day to make up the difference of the prior day. Also workweek hustling is based on steps. If I hit my daily goal but my friend’s daily goal is higher, I am unlikely to win the WWH challenge. But I might still win (or at least complete the challenge of the aggregate full week of my daily goal.)

kelsey009
First Steps

Has a student attending a University, I get significantly more steps than some of my friends and family members. We love doing the week long competitions (Workweek Hustle) however, it is not necessarily a competition for me because I continuously get more steps than them. I think Fitbit should consider making a Goal Week challenge. My goal is higher than my peers but I would still be challenged to get a greater percentage than them and them with me. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Dsaffire
First Steps

It would be great to have challenges that we could work together for one goal. Like 5-6 people colectively get 500,000 steps in a week or 4-5 people lose 100lb in so many months ...

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

thequietone
First Steps

I would also like this challenge to be available. Some of my friends get discouraged and don’t want to be in challenges because others have higher step goals and they can never achieve 1st place. 

A week where everyone is challenged to reach their peronal goal every day would be fantastic. 

WalkingBideshi
First Steps

YES!  Please do add a "Goal Week" challenge option. Same as the "Goal Day" but for 7 days.  We have a group that has been competing the Workweek challenge for over a year.  But we aren't all at the same general fitness level and people at both ends are getting de-motivated.  We still want to track with each other in our goals, but it would be great if we were competing for the percentage of our own step goal instead of competing for number of steps.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I really like the goal day challenge - is it poss to get a weekly version of it and just gross the methodology up to weekly instead of daily?

EzaDee
First Steps

I've often thought, even on a rematch, the option to make it ranked on who's improved the number of steps they've taken, rather than just the total number. Our hustle has a couple that always hit large numbers and some that hit about their weekly target. So having it ranked on the number of steps increased from last week's, gives those that just hit their target a chance to win the work week hustle. And inspiration to get out and move more. 

katelarocque
Jogger

I would love this feature too! My mom is obese and we got her a Fitbit Alta HR to track heart rate, sleep, and yes, steps. She is so motivated to meet her goal! But we can only do goal day challenges with her because our goals are so wildly different. A goal week challenge would allow me to stop making challenges for our family’s every day and instead do it every week. It’s just a necessity when people have different goals. 

KValentine
Jogger

I totally agree with this. It would reward consistency which is a challenge in itself. I think it would open up more fun competition between people of different fitness levels. I wholeheartedly support this. 

spiceboson
Recovery Runner

I like the idea.  This is kinda along the lines of the post I just made here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Add-Challenges-that-are-measured-in-ways-other-t...

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is a really good idea! I have a couple friends who won’t even do the challenges anymore because the competition aspect is pretty old at this point. Some new ideas for group “challenges” that are more collaborative would probably get participation back up.

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. I really like this concept of challenges. Being able to create co-op challenges could be really fun. Keen to hear what others think?

Pabmoore
First Steps

Sounds like a great idea! I would love to do this with my family 

BbopB
First Steps

We’ve been doing this manually for a while with me counting the step totals.  Desperate for this.  Please make it happen!

hallerobinson11
First Steps

A feature where you and a group of friends can do a challenge with the same rules as the workweek hustle or weekend warrior, but the group of friends would instead work together to collectively get more steps than another group of people that they are facing in said challenge. 

bikinibottom
Jogger

This would be fantastic. Some people just aren't motivated by competitions and helping themselves -- some are more excited about contributing to a group goal, and might be more inclined to participate that way. And the more competitive types can still compete in their own minds when they out-step their friends. Win-win.

dabain2012
First Steps

I have friends from all fitness levels and all different goals. I’d love to see a workweek hustle where we all encourage each other to reach our individual goals rather that compete for first place on an uneven playing field. After all in fitness, our biggest and most fierce competition is always ourselves. 

Smiley_Axolotl
First Steps

I absolutely love this idea! I know several people who don't care for the competitive aspects of the competitions as well, but adding a cooperative element could solve this by making the competition more collaborative.

Might I also suggest that the cooperative goals could be step-based or distance-based, and adjustable if more people join into the challenge while it's ongoing.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I love this idea so much! I think it would be fun if there was a relay option, where each person in the group had a “leg” of the overall team goal, and everyone else could cheer them on that day or time period.

Jamie
Memelody
First Steps

I love this idea because I hate competition. Bringing people together toward fitness goals is great community building and builds accountability! I love the relay option too, where teammates can cheer each other on.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.