Collaborative not competitive challenges

When your group of friends in a challenge all have different step goals it can actually be demotivating to constantly be losing out if you don't have the capacity to compete.

Why not have a challenge where the group commits to reach a high step goals of, say, 100,000 in a week. Everyone joins in to try and do a bit. Everyone contributes that which they can manage.

45 Comments
Towillzy92
Keeping Pace

Instead of collaborative steps couldnt we also have points system for work week hutstle in groups that both competitive and non competitive people in them for  balance , motivation and personal improvements . For example most consistent person getting rewarded for hitting daily goal in 5 days (minimum has be set to 10,000) , most improved from previous workweek hustle getting rewarded for improvement in terms for steps and distance , also best sleeper hitting minimum 7 to 8 hours rewarded in points system (I believe this stat get overlooked for people health a lot  ) if everyone willing in your group happy share that data etc before began changellge. So have like one table for steps in normal work week hustle the competitive table and another non competiive table with same people in group based on point system for other achievements like hitting 5 day goal , most improved , most active stepper though out the day rather than someone getting all steps done in one chuck of two hour preiod ,  (hope this point make sense )  , best sleeper etc. I say this because im in group where I take my steps seriously but don’t always hit my step goal as try for 20000 but other who hit there step goal in 5 days but don’t do has many steps but get 5 day streak in work week hustle but just get messsage saying hit it that streak there’s no reward apart from that while I can be inconsistent do well one day but the next half as much which same as everyone else in group. Hopefully this make some sense, 

Sojneb
Stepping Up

I understand what you mean yes. I would vote for this idea too but would definitely like see collaborative challenges set as an alternative to your idea, which remains essentially competitive. Surely Fitbit has the capacity to do both?

Seems like we have not yet got enough votes and comments to get their attention yet. Noone hold your breath to wait for this to happen!

ValerieJae
First Steps

I'm surprised that this was only first suggested in 2016, because I got my first Fitbit in 2014 and thought this would be a good idea back then. What further surprises me is that it's 2019 and this still isn't an option. To echo the comments of others, my daily step goal is different than that of my Fitbit friends.  Aside from differences in step goals, all my Fitbit friends lead a variety of lives: some have jobs where they're on their feet all day, others have desk jobs, and some have lives that are a combo of very active and sedentary. SO, it would be really great if we could challenge each other with our personal percentage to goal, so that we're all still being individually challenged and don't feel discouraged by having our friend who works in the grocery industry crush us with their insane daily step volume.

MLBinVA
Jogger

I like this as well, another way to do it may be to base competition on percentage over or under each persons goal.  IE set goals for individuals and at the end of the challenge each person who met their goal is recognized as is the person who exceeded it by the highest percentage.

Brave_Eagle
Recovery Runner

This would indeed be a wonderful thing.  My daughters have Fitbits but they are much younger than I am, and our activity levels are different.  It would be nice if we could do something together but without competing.  I wouldn't want to win against either of them, but then again, neither would I want to lose!  We did Goal Day together, and we've done the Vernal Falls and Valley Loop adventures at the same time, but it would be nice to "walk together" rather than compete.

Is there any chance that non-competitive, group walks could be created?

Septembergirl10
Stepping Up

I love this idea!! I would also like to see collaborative challenges in other aspects besides steps like stairs, sleep, active minutes etc. These could also be something like goal for everyone in the group to reach their goal 5/7 days per week or something adjustable. That way its more individualized rather than just about quantity

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Dsaffire! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing. I've moved it into a similar request. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Dnk6901! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing. I've moved it into a similar request. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration. Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

Sojneb
Stepping Up

Awesome, we can make it happen. Teamwork makes the dreamwork. Humans always do better in fitness with people supporting them! Ppl like you all!

Starting_Over
Jogger

I also would like to see more collaborative challenges. Goal Week Hustle, Goal Weekend Hustle, Group Total Steps, and others like this. Part of the programming is already there in Work Week Hustle because it notifies the group when anyone reaches their step goal for the day. Collaborative challenges would likely promote increased usage of the Challenges feature for those of all fitness levels.

katelarocque
Jogger
My mom is obese and her step goal is 800 steps/day. She can’t compete in the weekly or weekend challenges and I think it would be incredibly motivating for her to be able to join more than just Goal Day challenges.

Kate
Status changed to: Released (Premium)
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released as a Fitbit Premium feature. Under the 'All for One' challenge, you team up with friends and family to reach a common activity goal, with an average of your team's stats as the basis of an appropriate team-level goal. Under the 'All for One' challenge, you get to choose:

• Steps, distance or active minutes for the challenge
  • Choose a duration of up to 30 days
  • Choose other players, up to 30 people.
  • Start the challenge at set up or within the next 7 days

Note that Fitbit Premium users can invite friends without Fitbit Premium to compete in a Custom Challenge but only Fitbit Premium users can create a Custom Challenge.

@Sojneb, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing your idea, and thanks to all the voters and commenters for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

Sojneb
Stepping Up

Whilst I pleased this is now an option. I cannot believe it has been put behind a pay wall. I don't think Fitbit even had pay walls for services and functionality when I joined. 

As the creator of this idea that is going to make Fitbit money I would have thought access to premium as a token of your appreciation would have been apposite. Extra forum votes do not have parity with my idea creation. Give extra votes to people who vote for things. Give me access to the idea I created.

Before you reply saying you own all the rights etc I know that. I just thought you should get feedback that this customer feels you are losing your way. 

Don't even get me.started on what might happen to my data now you have been bought.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
These are the reasons I no longer use Fitbit, and a good reminder to delete my account. It’s too late for all my years of data, but I’m out.
kelsey009
First Steps
I completely agree with Sojneb. This idea was originally theirs. Your
website claims that you value your user's feedback, but in doing so, you
fail to give credit where credit is due. Sojneb should be granted more than
"one like is now 5 likes", they should be receiving premium access, at
Fitbit's cost.
bikinibottom
Jogger

Wow, incredible! Ask people for ideas, then take their idea and make everyone pay for it?! Insane.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Yes and now they’re part of the google info-farm. I guess we should all be used to it by now but I was such a big Fitbit fan, it really feels like a betrayal. As if the tons of money I put into buying myself devices, buying them as gifts, and encouraging others to purchase and participate weren’t enough, now we should pay to access our own ideas? AND our data will be used to help google profit? How many ways can we be screwed at one time over what amounts to a toy? My steps will still be steps, my heart will still be beating, I will still be at yoga, even when the Fitbit isn’t recording it all. This is the cherry on my noping out sundae.
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Sojneb@kelsey009 and @SunsetRunner - you have raised a great point! Thank you for making this suggestion. From now on, original suggesters who have a suggestion that is released under premium, will be given access to Fitbit Premium to explore and enjoy. @Sojneb you have been granted Premium! This is a fantastic community idea - thanks all for the feedback.

Sojneb
Stepping Up

Everyone likes to be heard and recognised.

It's important to remember it's not all about money. Especially at this time of year.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.