Compatibility with Google Home

It would be nice if the app had some compatibily with google home systems 

95 Comments
geekosphere
Recovery Runner

I was able to write my own custom action for this, but would be nice to have one that works for everyone. It was really cool to say "Ok Google, ask myapp how many steps have I taken?" and get an answer.

Upvoted!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Would love to see something Similar to the Amazon Alexa App in Fitbit Apps

Drewhosick
Recovery Runner

I figure if you support Cortana and echo, it would be nice to see Google home/assistant

integration as well.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This would be a connection that Google home assist would be responsible for setting up.

geekosphere
Recovery Runner

@Rich_Laue no this is something that Fitbit has to create, as the OAuth redirect url is for fitbit.com from the GoogleAPI, it is very similar to the Amazon Echo Skill that they already have.

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2018

Drewhosick
Recovery Runner

Exactly.  I was going to say that it has to be created by Fitbit as the equivelent of the Echo Skill.  I've heard it isn't terribly difficult to do and I'm surprised Cortana has been the first to get it considering the number of phones on Android.  Not complaining, just hoping it becomes available.

geekosphere
Recovery Runner

@Drewhosick it wasn't that hard, I  have been in software for 25+ years but even for an old dog like me it was not too hard to program in the Google API.AI and Javascript apps. It took me less than a few hours to setup and test it out and it was pretty cool to ask Google for my steps, not that I couldn't just look at my Fitbit LOL but to have it return more data like food and calories would be ideal. 

Agree that it is odd that Amazon Echo has a skill but Google Home does not.

paulheth
Jogger

+1

Would like to log weight, get step count, and reminders if I am behind on steps.  Not sure what is possible.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

not sure what is being asked here,

Paila
First Steps

Please implement this fast. Just got the Fitbit today and I have Google home. Honestly quite disappointed there is no official support yet. Might have to return the Fitbit and get a compatible device if there is no word on this soon. 

RoverTFord
First Steps

I understand that these kind of things take tons of dev, but I can only imagine that AI smart home bots are going to be more common place, instead of less. It would be great to get to where I can ask Google Home things about my Fitbit account and it would know what I'm talking about.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Alexis knows your Fitbit stats. 

Mattylin
Jogger

If amazon Alexa can do it, why not google home??

i like the idea of giving commands to the home for food, water intake to keep track easily and also have it read back steps, heart rate, etc. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

You might need to ask Google that question. Fitbit doesn't countrol Google. 

Drewhosick
Recovery Runner
It doesn't work like that. The developer like Fitbit has to create it to
work with Google home. Google provides services to allow you to create
these apps
Lizhand_
First Steps

Putting information in and getting it back would be really useful. reminders to move if it knows your around might be difficult but would be great! 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Fitbit allows any third party to connect with them and has provided the services for them to do it. 

jlwinkler
Stepping Up

As a user of the fitness tracker Alta HR, I would like to be able to set alarms via Amazon Alexa and/or Google Home by using voice commands. Since the API already supports adding alarms, this should be fairly easy to implement with an already existing technical infrastructure given the fact, that there already is ana Amazon Alexa Skill for fitbit.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Khooplah
First Steps

Would really love to see this feature! I wish this thread had more votes... I think it is clear that this vote isn't an accurate representation of the expected quantity of users of such a new feature. Please consider developing this despite the vote count!!

Mrarkady
Jogger

Surprised that even basic Google Home integration is not offered yet. It must be easy for Fitbit to allow GH access to basic steps / calorie / sleep information so you can just ask google home your current status. If Alexa can do it why not google ?

harrygt
Jogger

As amazon echo seems to be supported by fitbit, why can't Google Home not be supported as well.

Gurnee60031
First Steps

Please integrate with Google home as soon as possible.  I know you already work with Amazon, but I think Google Home is a better platform.

PoshChaos
First Steps

I would love to be able to connect with my google home and google assistant for reminders to walk, drink water and get encouragement. 

Puffwuzz
First Steps

Would love to be able to check my steps and other activities update with Google Home. “Hey Google, how many steps have I taken today?” Or, “Okay Google, how long did I sleep last night?” Therefore, really want to be able to synchronized Fitbit with Google Home.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everybody! Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Keen to hear what others think?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.