Create open groups on Community in app

Need to be able to create open groups on fit bit app, at present can only create closed groups on fit bit app community.

Mod edit: label & title

85 Comments
charleskn
Distance Runner
It would be great to have a page which lists all the open groups, and you could search/filter the groups based on your age, gender (if you wanted a men's women's only group, or don't want to identify gender), general health, support or challenge, preferred activities, goals, etc.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @charleskn, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to create open groups on Community in app. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can also vote for this other suggestion: Search for Activity Groups. I hope to see you around.

JazzBebe
Recovery Runner

I wanted to create a group for ballet dancers as we seem to be very underrepresented even though it's a great form of exercise and the overlap between my dancing friends and those with Fitbits is about 1!

Azzarinne
First Steps

Hard agree on this! I tried to create a group for Spoonies (people with chronic illnesses who have very limited energy) to exchange stories, ideas, and successes. It seemed to be going well, but it wouldn't even let me upload a banner image, which I guess is a different problem, but if I'd gotten through the process only to discover that only people I invited could get in, that would have defeated the purpose.

HarleyD94
Recovery Runner

I can see this was initially posted about a year and a half ago, yet I've just tried to create a group and its still automatically closed with no option to make it open.

I do not have people in my friends list to invite, but would like others to join from the community if they are in a similar position and would like support.

Will this feature actually be added? Is there any sort of timeline for this?

H3RbSaNz
First Steps

I want to create an open group for my local community users to join and be able to share goals, places, activities, and motivate each other at a local level. I think it would be a great motivation to see how your local community is keeping healthy!

SPAubin
Recovery Runner

I’d like to be able to invite fellow employees or have them just join my work related group on their own but there’s currently no option to do so

Even if I could just share a link for the group that’d be great!

Judging by the dates on the initial post and the follow up being almost a year old I’m guessing this isn’t happening anytime soon 

Lscrodin
First Steps

How is this still not a thing, this has been a suggestion for over a year! We need to be able to add non friends to groups. If they can't be open groups at least let us share a like for people to join that are non friends. I can't believe this is not an option. Fitbit needs to step up their game! 

SPAubin
Recovery Runner

Do you ever get the feeling that Fitbit just doesn’t give a $#!+

I’ve asked on Twitter and they just copy and paste the most relevant information and refer you to this 2+ year old post

Hey Fitbit are you paying attention?

AnnaCT
First Steps

I totally agree. This would be huge as i'm part of a worldwide fitness program and we'd like to be able to do fitness challenges without having to be fitbit friends where we'd have to publicly share our information to strangers. However, being able to share a group without having to become friends would be huge

Maverix
First Steps

Agreed, please allow us to create “Open” groups or please forward this request to create a “Sacramento” open group in the Fitbit community. Thanks!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I see this is an older suggestion and yet it is still under consideration.  I just started a group and as I don't have a lot of Fitbit friends yet, it will be difficult to get the group up and running.  Please work with whomever is necessary to allow for creating open groups in the app.

SPAubin
Recovery Runner

Ok Fitbit this has been “under consideration” for almost TWO YEARS now.  You need to get off your @$$€$ and make this happen a.s.a.p. 

Lee143
First Steps
I created a group for people with chronic pain and Immobility issues. However, I'm not able to "open" the group. I don't agree that this group should be hidden or by invitation only. Does anyone else think there should be a way to open our groups?
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Lee143thanks for sharing your suggestion about the possibility of creating open groups of having the option to open them once they've been created. I noticed this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post hereThis helps to keep the forums more organized and prevent the vote from splitting into multiple ideas. 

Thank you for your participation in the Community! 

RokClimbr
First Steps

Please add this feature! 🙂

HarborNate
Jogger

I agree we need to be able to create open groups. I would join a group if some created one that fit my interest but there are like a few categories with very few groups total. Like there's one for diabetic people but what about one for CKD? Alowing people to create open groups would fix that without Fitbit admin making every requested group

HashimGashi
Recovery Runner
Open group - created by us, users, since we all have diffrent intrests and can make own groups, that are open and can get new members.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @HashimGashi, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to create open groups in the Community Feed with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

HashimGashi
Recovery Runner

Oh, it looks like this question is very hot and that Fitbit it takes this as high priority 😂😂😂

After all, let’s wait a few more years and I’m sure that open groups with be there. 

RokClimbr
First Steps
Hello Hashim! Thanks for helping us out. Users being able to create open user groups would help solve our concern; however, our ultimate goal is to have an open vegan group. I want to make sure that both paths are being explored to quickly get a vegan/plant based open board on Fitbit ASAP.
HashimGashi
Recovery Runner

I think is great that you are doing your part with owning own groups and I surely welcome more groups that Fitbit owns.

i would like to have an option to ceate groups that are open for us with same interest in the city I live in, or with work colleagues , etc.

we are waiting and hope that soon we can create own open groups

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I was wondering this myself. I don't know anyone who has a Fitbit. So creating an open group would allow me to find people in my area that I might even be able to actually connect with to find new fitness Buddies. I was actually really surprised that I can only create a closed group. Kind of pointless to create a group when I don't know anyone and I don't even know how to add anyone to it's so even if I did want to post about it how would people be able to join?

cheruk
First Steps

I completely agree. I would like to start an open group for people with sleep apnoea. I don’t know anyone that uses Fitbit and it would be useful to compare our sleep stats.

BrianChambers
First Steps

I don't need a Fitbit group to talk to my friends. Certainly not to my 0 friends who use Fitbit. 

Groups should be open and searchable for everyone, otherwise what is the point? In limiting groups to invite friends only you are inviting users to use groups on other platforms.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.