Dark Theme in Fitbit App for Android and iOS

Hello, It is a sincere request to add the dark theme for the android application as the appearance of the application during night time is very bright and with the dark theme it will be easier to use the application and not cause any harm to one's eyesight 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

237 Comments
D_B_8.8
First Steps

Agree dark theme would be best!!!!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think about having a Fitbit app dark theme at night.

kcoles
Jogger

I'd like to have an option of brightness.  At night the brightness of the charge 3 seems very bright white, there should be an setting or auto setting that during certain hours the face could be "dimmed".  Sort of when you set items on a timer to come on/off, bright/dim.

Hotaru
Base Runner

I agree - dark mode would be helpful, not only at night but for OLED screens too (they switch black pixels off completly, preserving energy).

twomanydogs
Jogger

Night mode would be awesome.  Nothing worse than getting blinded by my fitbit in the middle of the night.  Also annoying to have super bright fitbit light up when I'm at a theater (movie, concert, play).  Would like to have a muted night mode that I can turn on when needed.  (Better option than putting painters tape over the display)

Zysygy
First Steps

Yes, I too would like to be able to set hours when the Fitbit doesn't wake automatically, but still responds to a button-press

headwardo
First Steps

My Versa is hella bright at night and has even possibly woken me up several times! Set up something like the iPhone “night shift” mode which not only dims the phone screen but also shifts the color spectrum to warm (yellowish) as opposed to cool (blueish). Sleep research indicates that it is blue light in particular that can affect our sleep quality/quantity. To learn more: https://www.livescience.com/53874-blue-light-sleep.html

thekydragon
Jogger

Twitter even has a Dark theme (although you can turn that on whenever you want.) I prefer Dark themes as I just find that easier to look at than the abundance of white.

Seems like this should be a no-brainer.

RG64
First Steps

I support the existing comments. Possible solution: to allow the wearer to select the hours when the automatic screen light up feature is turned off 

Please make a dark theme! The bright white very much diminishes my investment in using the app. 

Sparty3711
Jogger
Keep up the good work. We really need a dark theme.

Thank you,

PJ
BlueMountain
Recovery Runner

+1 Dark mode would be great. Selectable themes would be grate too.

MisterShark
Runner

I started another Dark Theme inquiry thread not knowing this one existed already.

Here's what I put in my other thread:

Many of Google's own Android apps have been getting the option to select 'dark mode' whereby the normally primarily white background apps can instead use a black background.

Visual preference aside, this is a battery saver since your phone's biggest battery drain almost always comes from lighting up the screen, and the more white/bright area of the screen the heavier the battery drain.  It takes considerably less power to produce a primarily black area on your screen.

So yes please on a dark mode option being added to our Android app.

Sparty3711
Jogger
Great post.

iPhone app too please!!!!!

Thank you,

PJ
katannfritz
First Steps

I first started this thread due to the printing being in Gray (very light) and I couldn't see the light grey writing against the white screen.  A graphic designer would know that color is really important so if you have a White screen - then writing needs to be in a darker color to be able to be read - such as Black or Dark blue - vibrant colors - NOT light transparent grey.  

I think its great to have a forum to discuss things but how about someone from Fitbit not just reading this but giving an update on what is being done.  Now there are other alternatives to logging what you eat, what you run etc.  Perhaps we need to go elsewhere, where someone is listening or at least responding with a fix.  Tired of this....

Endomorphius
Recovery Runner
Wooow you are so right!!! Do you have any good apps to log the food
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Would love a dark mode, both for sleep and for other situations where bright flashes on the wrist are inappropriate.

Ideally this would be accessible manually from the device as well as being settable automatically via the app.

Gemmaeharris
First Steps

This would be a great idea as my Versa blinds me if I wake up in the night.

RG64
First Steps
If I roll over at night the watch lights up and often wakes me. I did sleep with an old cut off sock over it .

Richard Gorey
Area Commander Roma Street
This correspondence is for the named persons only. It may contain confidential or privileged information or both. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis transmission. If you receive this correspondence in error please delete it from your system immediately and notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or relay on any part of this correspondence, if you are not the intended recipient. Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly, and with the authority, states them to be the opinions of the Queensland Government.

All reasonable precautions will be taken to respect the privacy of individuals in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld).
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Add my name to the android list. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Oh, just looked at the date of this thread.  Guess asking for a dark theme in the app is too much for fitbit. Sorry to see they are so out of touch, since pretty much every reputable app coder out there has the decency to give users eyes a break with a dark theme.

kam79
Recovery Runner

Blows my mind how long this has been out there as a request and fitbits crack pot programmers can't honor a simple request its users are asking for.  It irritates the snot out of me that you care so little about your users requests! 

DolfB
First Steps

Last day of 2018...   No dark theme yet !

And the first request is from 2015 !!!! ... This company is not taking care of our eyes... 😞

Will 2019 be the year for a dark theme / night modus?

Malthasian
First Steps

Just in case anyone from Fitbit is actually reading these messages, I have stopped using my Fitbit, have uninstalled the app, and will actively be telling people not to purchase their products.

_Connor
First Steps

Please allow a Dark Mode feature on the iOS app for easier visibility. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.