Detect irregular heart beats

Millions of people experience irregular or abnormal heartbeats, called arrhythmias, at some point in their lives. Most of the time, they are harmless and happen in healthy people free of heart disease. However, some abnormal heart rhythms can be serious or even deadly. Having other types of heart disease can also increase the risk of arrhythmias.  

Now I fully understand that Fitbit products are not medical devises, yet they do help people get and stay healthy. And now with more people wearing their fitbits for longer there is a great opportunity for these products to be an aid to the detection of irrigular heart beat that would allow them to go to there doctor to get it checked out. With this feature you could save lives.  

116 Comments
dwberman
Jogger
Good luck.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note8, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
RNMommy85
First Steps

As a sufferer of Afib and SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) I would buy the versa or the ionic hands down if they offered a ECG app/attachment akin to the Apple watch's Alivecor/Kardia. This is an FDA cleared personal ECG that can detect a myriad of abnormal heart rhythms. If the versa or other smartwatch fitbits took advantage of this technology, they would be the end all beat all of smartwatches. 

Thank you!

snkot
First Steps

I agree that it's not a medical device and should not replace medical diagnoses from professionals, however I do strongly agree with the original poster that this can help notify people of potential problems they weren't aware of before hand and possibly save lives. 

I actually bought my Fitbit to get a more accurate representation of my RHR because I would notice sudden spikes or drops in the BPM. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the RHR was calculated in the graph as an average of the BPM every 5 mins. While an average can be helpful, it may not help users to identify the need to seek medical care for abnormal heart rates by only showing an average. Earlier today my RHR was 158 and it only lasted for about a min or just over, but because my RHR was only about 62 prior to that spike and dropped again quickly the average only showed as 92, which would be within a normal range for my age. If I hadn't been directly looking at my Versa at the time it happened I would have missed it all together. It will still help me keep a more accurate log for my doctor from the Versa itself during the day (especially with the Vibrating HR Zone Tracker I downloaded to notify me when I'm above or below the set HR zone), but I was really hoping to get a more accurate RHR while I was sleeping as well and the average is unable to provide that to me.

Many users use their Fitbits for more than just exercise, but more holistically to view their overall health. Even if it couldn't detect an irregular rhythm, simply adding more detailed information for RHR would greatly increase the odds of users detecting HR and/or potential rhythm problems early with their physicians. I think it would be great to have a band like the Alivecor/Kardia, but if that isn't possible improving the RHR stats to be more detailed/accurate and comprehensive to sudden changes would be extremely helpful. 

Ricky_Dawn
Jogger

Great idea I would love this, I actually get irregular heartbeats and i know they are harmless as I've been checked.

Of course a notification should be shown to say it's not 100% reliable blah blah, but it can potentially save lives.

Pinsy
Keeping Pace
Thank you Ricky - looks like a lot of people agree - Apple obviously think so too - any comment from Fitbit please?
Thanks

Lesley Carrington

Sent from my iPhone
Donna80
Base Runner

I wouldn't mind having this as a potential warning system as I have this is my family history so should look out for it.

Pinsy
Keeping Pace
Any further comments from Fitbit? No news on this for months - yesterday evening didn’t feel well so used Kardia and Afib was suspected, blood pressure monitor also showed potential Afib - v high heart rate - yet fitbit showed normal heart rate? - this morning when I looked at heart rate data from fitbit it showed high heart rate much earlier in the day - had I known this I would have slowed down, eaten, taken additional medication and probably avoided a full blown episode in the evening.
Come on fitbit some sort of alert of heart rate with trigger level set by user would be useful to thousands.

Lesley Carrington

Sent from my iPhone
Clickadelphia
First Steps

After a new smartwatch anounced today with EKG function can we see this technology added to a Fitbit product?

Cameron7777
First Steps

The heart rate sensors on Fitbit products work great, but are not accepted by doctors as proof of heart irregularities. So Fitbit should produce a portable 3 lead EKG that connects with the app so a heart rate can be monitored accurately for medical purposes.

Janene55
Jogger

The idea is interesting, but I do not think it would be practical for every day users. This sounds like a special medical device needed. Have you requested that your doctor give you the take home portable EKG monitor, that tracks your heart rate at home, work, and exercise? It records data for a specified time and when you return the monitor your doctor can check for heart irregularities. I hope this info can help.

emily.clare
First Steps

Hurry up fitbit or im buying a apple watch. 

Shoto61
First Steps

Dear Fitbit,

I purchased my charge 3 to provide me with a record of how my heart is beating throughout the day. This is because I have just had a stent implant and want to know how it is doing. However, I also suffer from Arterial Fibrillation where my heart might start to have irregular BPM. These can be fast or slow and also missing. Normally I can feel this when it is established and then have to take an extra tablet to get it back to normal rhythm. It might be a good idea if you could have the Fitbit notify you when this starts to happen.

In addition after having a stent implanted my rehabilitation has to be gradual ignorer not to put too much stress on the heart straight away. You may already have this, but another suggestion is to have a set of exercises for heart patients recovery?

deepxtz
Recovery Runner

This is a very good feature !!!!!

YoswaSmith
First Steps

I had Afib in October and am looking for a device which can help alert to potential problems. I walked around for over a week thinking I would feel better tomorrow when I needed to go to the ER. I like Fitbit but need this feature.

Suzyff
First Steps

After almost a year of so many Fitbit fans asking for this type of improvement on this page, Fitbit has responded with silence. The company has not even promised to add this existing technology in the near future so that we can remain loyal customers. It’s time to switch to a product that has the features that we are looking for. Then, maybe, Fitbit will get with the program. 

Michaelss
Recovery Runner

Hi, I was picking out my bracelet when I started having arrhythmia and tachycardia due to heart disease. Bracelet copes well with the task. But cannot measure the bouts of tachycardia when the heart rate above 250 beats per minute. The bracelet will not notice the arrhythmia (a very frequent change of heart rate, for example, for a couple of seconds can change from 90 to 150 and again fall to 100, then again to return to a high rate when the heart beats in chaos) But this is understandable. Fitbit not as sensitive as the device of the ECG to doctors, because it is not medical equipment, and sports equipment.

CWSpoon
First Steps

This is a deciding factor for buying a SMART watch for my parents. Apple offers the feature and so does Garmin. Looking forward to this feature. And the ability to update the firmware and software too!

dwberman
Jogger
Kardia offers an ecg device and a watch band for the Apple Watch. These are medical grade solutions you should evalauate.

Sent from my iPad
RevenantDenise
Stepping Up

While I realize the Fitbit versa is not a medical device, I think it would be helpful to track pulse rythm. Heart palpitations, and any disturbances in heartbeat is a helpful thing to be aware of and may help people tailor their workouts and daily activities based on these types of sensitivities or even be able to bring them up to their doctor. I have HCM so I have to be aware while doing physical activity and would find this type of feature extremely helpful.

Tabster25
First Steps

There should be a heart rate alarm, indicating that the resting heart rate is abnormal. 

Moderator edit: Topic for clarification

jakef
Jogger

Seems like something which would be useful in the aggregate, say if you've been sitting at an abnormal bpm for the last 15-20 minutes but the watch doesn't detect movement (e.g. you're watching a movie on the couch) or something like that.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Tabster25! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think about having a alarm which indicates that the resting heart rate is abnormal.

Sabrina94
First Steps

I really love my Fitbit charge 2. It’s a really great watch and I was very upset when I figured that my Samsung A6 plus was not compatible. The Samsung A6 is , but not the plus. I don’t know why that is but I would like to request adding this phone to the compatible devices. I have been wanting this watch for some time and I would love to use all the features, but since my phone is not compatible, the notifications won’t work. I think this is a Bluetooth issue, as it won’t pair. It does sync though. Thank you for helping and hoping the Samsung A6 plus will be part off the Fitbit family soon. Regards

TheRealWheely
Recovery Runner

Considering all the data that is being  collected, it doesn't seem to be too complicated to filter out and show more information for the user like the heart rhythm and in case of the Charge 3 the oxygen saturation. It's a shame that the device has so much more potential than what can be used now.

Mattebr
First Steps

I'd absolutely love this functionality please. 

I had a bad heart attack last year, hence purchasing a Fitbit to help keep an eye on things. Of course trackers & smart watches aren't medical instruments (yet), nonetheless it'd bring great peace of mind to be able to keep an accurate trace of what my heart is doing. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.