Detect irregular heart beats

Millions of people experience irregular or abnormal heartbeats, called arrhythmias, at some point in their lives. Most of the time, they are harmless and happen in healthy people free of heart disease. However, some abnormal heart rhythms can be serious or even deadly. Having other types of heart disease can also increase the risk of arrhythmias.  

Now I fully understand that Fitbit products are not medical devises, yet they do help people get and stay healthy. And now with more people wearing their fitbits for longer there is a great opportunity for these products to be an aid to the detection of irrigular heart beat that would allow them to go to there doctor to get it checked out. With this feature you could save lives.  

116 Comments
askmrhp
Runner

My fitbit Versa Lite is off by +/- 2 heart beats when I use my Pulse Oximeter. It's the same at the doctors office when the use their P.O . I use my Versa Lite as a guide. I don't expect it to be super accurate. I think I would know if my fitbit did not show a pulse, and I guess I would be a zombie. I use devices as tools only ! 

REwald
First Steps
What on Earth does that have to do with this thread?
Paul-in-LA
Jogger
Yeah, I use mine as a baseline for what my heart is doing. When it
suddenly went up by around 20bpm on average, I alerted my physician.
turned out I was having serious heart issues they were able to correct. my
point is, Apple watch has the ability to detect irregular heartbeats which
just means it's a better tool then anything Fitbit currently has. I have
been wearing a Fitbit 4 over 5 years and don't want to switch brands now.
especially since I don't use an apple phone. I may be pushed into it soon
if Fitbit doesn't decide to play catch-up.
Mikeah
Base Runner
I am similar to you and don't want to switch brands after 7 years of use but I will if nothing is done by fitbitSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
gwenem
Recovery Runner

I didn't see this mentioned earlier in the thread, so apologies if this is old news. I just signed up for a "Fitbit Heart Study" that will notify me if Fitbit identifies an irregular heart rhythm. In the Fitbit app, thge study was in the "Discover" tab, under the "Assessments & Reports" section. It is strictly opt-in and you have to sign some digital forms in order to participate.

So it's not a built-in feature yet, but it looks like they are doing more research into this area.

Paul-in-LA
Jogger
Thanks!!!
Ric323
Jogger

I'm not seeing "Assessments & Reports" under the "Discover" tab.

Is this in the "Premium" version?

racheljack03
Stepping Up
when going in to AF, fitbit alerts you and all results saved on the fitbit graphs to show doctors. This could save lives and help as the AF comes and goes, so trying to show it to doctors makes it hard but if have it saved on the graphs it would be amazing
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @racheljack03, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see irregular heart rate detection on Fitbit devices. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about it here. I hope to see you around.

Ric323
Jogger

Much as described in the first post, I have WPWS (Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome), which means very occasionally my heart rate will suddenly increase, and I can be totally unaware of it.

I bought a Fitbit specifically with the HR function so I could quickly check my heart rate, but it would be REALLY USEFUL if I could get the app on my phone to let me know when it exceeds a set rate. During my last episode, it was purely because I looked at my wrist to check the time that I noticed the HR was elevated.

Paul-in-LA
Jogger

Apple has overcome the legal issues, or at least have moved forward with testing for irregular heart beats a year + ago. 

I see where there is a beta test now with Fitbit, but they don't want anyone on a blood thinner in the test.  Why?  Anyone who has previously had an issue with an irregular heart beat and who REALLY wants help monitoring between regular doctor visits is who I would THINK you would be using as a target market for this device, but instead you are excluding them!

jrsavoie
Jogger

How do I get in the beta group? I am not on blood thinners

Paul-in-LA
Jogger
In the app under discover; fitbit heart study
Status changed to: Released
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on our newest Fitbit Sense. You can find more details about the ECG app here

@Kavpdsl, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

Ric323
Jogger

So, not a simple software change for the device we already have that is already measuring heart rate, but rather a brand new device that costs twice as much...

Mikeah
Base Runner
I agree FITBIT created our problem with the charge 2 not recognising sleep pattern due to irregular heartbeat.They should fix it with a simple software upgrade. How do we know the more expensive FITBIT will work anyhow?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.