Detect irregular heart beats

Millions of people experience irregular or abnormal heartbeats, called arrhythmias, at some point in their lives. Most of the time, they are harmless and happen in healthy people free of heart disease. However, some abnormal heart rhythms can be serious or even deadly. Having other types of heart disease can also increase the risk of arrhythmias.  

Now I fully understand that Fitbit products are not medical devises, yet they do help people get and stay healthy. And now with more people wearing their fitbits for longer there is a great opportunity for these products to be an aid to the detection of irrigular heart beat that would allow them to go to there doctor to get it checked out. With this feature you could save lives.  

116 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarreFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Dratera
Stepping Up

False positives might be a liability. It would be great if there is a reasonable and responsible way of implementing this.

Kavpdsl
Stepping Up

If I were Fitbit, I would be making a statement claiming no liability, it’s a service that could save lives. I am certain the legal eagles can address this. Think of the benefits and let them address the negatives. 

Rebecs1993
Recovery Runner

And having a way to customize heart rate zones for heart conditions...for example IST (inappropriate sinus tachycardia). Even with changing my Max heart rate to 220 90% of the time I am in "fat burn zone" due to the fact I have a resting heart rate of 100 or more. 

Kyluvu
Jogger

Please add this feature or have you considered partnering with KARDIACOR like apple has?  I am thinking about investing in a kardiaband but would like to wait if Fitbit will add some kind heart arrythmia detection first

Sugar1924
Strider

I agree with Kyluvu, but remember, Fitbit is NOT a medical device and there could be liability problems and this is a heart rate monitor not an EKG.

doglover1
Base Runner

While Fitbit is not a true medical device, the Heart Rate monitor on my Charge 2 sent me to the Dr because it showed an abornal normal heart rate-While in the end it wasn't a heart issue, it led to a diabetes type1 diagnosis. Do not ignore that part of the device.

Kyluvu
Jogger
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
phoenixmed
Jogger

There is a new type of watch in development called the ibeat... t tracks tracks  heart rhythms and if its determined there's a problem they first ask you if you're okay ....then ,if not ,they call Emergency Services and any other people you designate.. the watch is about 250 and the service is $20 per month pretty reasonable.

I've bought one already myself in pre-production I know several other people that have also... I also know several seniors who are very interested in this because they live alone.... it would be nice if Fitbit could develop similar Technologies or buy them

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration.

Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

Slkmom
First Steps

It would really be great for those of us who sometimes slip into irregular and dangerous heartbeats, to be able to be alerted to that fact by my Fitbit Blaze. I have Atrial Fibrillation and sometimes I cannot tell if my heartbeat has changed and I am now in A-Fib. This alert system would be most helpful. I know it can be done, as Apple already has a detection system on their Apple watch. please look into it. Thanks.

MCCABES
First Steps

I have occasionally felt arrhythmias but they are inconsistent. Would be great to have something track it to share with my MD so I can see what activity it might be related to, if it is, or if it's just random.

stefanUyt
First Steps

I'm also very interested in this.
I'm new to fitbit, so I don't know what's possible.

Continious checking (and alerts when I have  irregular or abnormal heartbeats at the time they are happening?)

or

some kind of logging, maybe with the possibility to specify a period of time...

and/or

graph presentation, like a ECG , on the dashboard.

Anyway, it would already be nice to have some kind of info, to get to know when someone hase  irregular or abnormal heartbeats...

klausadrift
Base Runner

I fully support the suggestion implementing irregular/abnormal heart beat detection and alerts.

The media is full of cases when the Apple watch did exactly the same and apparently has saved lives or at least prevented some serious consequences.

I am fully aware that the Apple watch or any similar HR measuring device is not to be considered a medical appliance and any readings are solely an indication but not an approved method of monitoring a person's hear rate.

However, having some kind of indication would be already a great advantage and the user can make his own decision whether to seek further professional medical advice.

Regarding liability issues I believe that Apple has got their lawyers to work and included a disclaimer. So, what is holding Fitbit back?

Don't they want to compete in the market?

One of the reasons I bought the charge HR was to be able to set alarms and alerts regarding my heart beat. Either for exercise/workout purposes or if the resting heat beat suddenly spikes for no reasons at all. 

So, do I need to purchase the Apple watch now because Fitbit is unwilling or lacking behind in implementing competitive features?

AunteEm
First Steps

This is a great suggestion that could benefit many. There IS a tracker device which claims to do this already - the HELO. Unfortunately, the setup
for the HELO is more of a "tiered" business with interest mostly in finding more sellers and no finding maximum buyers. (Read "Pyramid"). BUT, the HELO DOES currently take blood pressure (accurate as I checked mine against BP taken with stethoscope and sphygmomanometer several times); AND it analyzes heartbeat. (I can't say if that is accurate or not as I've not watched it tried on someone with an arrhythmia). The other thing about the HELO is that you can allow a family member to track your vitals (which is WONDERFUL for those of us with elderly parents who may have a-fib or HTN, etc), and there is a "panic button" that sends an SOS call to the family member if the person wearing the HELO feels they are in trouble. The GPS location of the watch is transmitted also. The company behind HELO claims to have a patent on glucose monitoring with their device as well. The biggest drawback of the HELO (other than the way the sales are run) is that there is no display on the "face" of the device. All information must be obtained via your phone. But, the technology for rhythm analysis and taking blood pressure appears to already be available. I have a HELO, but I prefer my Fitbit!

klausadrift
Base Runner

As a follow up to my previous comment I would like to point out the following:

"According to a recent published article, Apple partnered with Stanford University School of Medicine on the Apple Heart Study, a research study to advance the study of heart science. The study used an app to alert Apple Watch users if it detects an irregular heart rhythm.

Since Apple rolled out the feature, several Apple Watch owners have claimed that it saved their lives.

While some Fitbit devices do have a heart-rate sensor, they are not yet able to measure irregular heart rhythms or alert you if it senses something wrong."

FitBit R&D engineer's earlier response to me was, that they still need to do their studies and research. The above article only proves that a study has been already done and the feature successfully implemented in the Apple watch. So, my question again: What is holding you guys from FitBit back to connect with Stanford University or equivalent and start thinking of implementing the same feature?

Personally the heart beat alert would be the prime reason for buying an Apple watch in the future if FitBit continues lacking behind in technology and shelving the idea indefinitely in "under consideration". An update from FitBit on the issue is already overdue.

dwberman
Jogger

Afib would be best case for detection. It has an easily recognized signature and the arrhythmia is fairly common and very serious.  Look at what Kardia does with their ECG device and Android and Apple Apps.

jmj7583
First Steps

@klausadrift I agree 100%. Im currently torn between purchasing a new Fitbit vs the Apple Watch 3 solely because I have Afib and would like to be able to track heart functions. 
dwberman
Jogger
I suggest you purchase a Kardia device. It works with IOS and Android. It gives you a real ECG which you can pay Kardia to evaluate or forward to your cardiologist.
Kyluvu
Jogger
Last I looked it didn't work with the S8+ hopefully  that changed?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
dwberman
Jogger
Works great my note 8

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note8, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Pinsy
Keeping Pace

I upgraded to a new Fitbit as it has heart rate tracking and the data is very helpful. Since developing a fib I have bought a kardia and it is an amazing device. However I would really like my Fitbit to warn me when I am not exercising and my heart rate spikes and I would then know to record on my Kardia. The Apple Watch does this and I keep hoping that Fitbit will catch up and provide this. I have been an avid fan of Fitbit for years but unless this feature appears shortly then Apple will get my custom instead. I would be happy to pay for an App if it is cost that is the issue. I'm sure that it would be very popular. Apple have sorted out the legal issues so I would expect Fitbit to be able to do do.  Come on Fitbit I don't want to fall out of love with my Fitbit!

dwberman
Jogger
Afib is not a condition you want to live with. Once you determine you have it, it is important that you have it treated. The value of the Apple watch to identify afib is most relevant for people who have the problem, but are unaware of it. You should discuss the various treatment options with your cardiologist.

Sent from my iPad
Pinsy
Keeping Pace
Hi - thank you for your reply - it is much appreciated- however the increased heart rate does seem to be the 1st sign of an a fib episode and so it would be useful if the fitbit could notify me when the rate rises but I’m not exercising and I can take the beta blocker earlier to minimise it. Still going through testing with cardiologist and the more data the better.

Lesley Carrington

Sent from my iPhone
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.