Display total time after each split

I suggest that you also display the total time elapsed for each split, not just pace. Both in the app and dashboard. 

This is a standard stat in Garmin for instance.

Example: 

Split1: 5'30"(pace) total time: 5:30min

Split2: 5'45"(pace) total time: 11:15min

...and so on.

/Mike

75 Comments
KateSquires
First Steps

Completely agree! Calories burned is useful for those tracking foods and wanting to keep an eye on their weight. But, if you want to keep customers, we need split times. I don't see why they can't be available on the app similarly to the run ones and to how @Fids has pictures on his watch.

I love this watch and don't want to change but need splits otherwise there is no point in even tracking swims :/.

Also, my swims won't upload to strava and it would be great if there was an open water option- using GPS to track! How do others feel about an open water option?

Kate. 

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@stephmcdadeYes, the 735XT looks great, and the list of swimming features is long! Not too much more than the Ionic either if you shop around.

While hunting for alternatives I found the Moov Now device which kicks the Ionic into the dust for swim tracking features and is only £60. Sadly it has no screen so it's not a *direct* replacement 😕

Why can't Fitbit offer the same level of swim tracking as that £60 device? I can't believe the Moov has any better hardware than the Ionic so it must just be that they don't want to, because at its core Fitbit Corp is all about steps and calories. Fitbit doesn't really want the sports market, except at its most casual level. Shame they fooled me and my wife for long enough for her to buy me this overpriced bauble.

Eddie_T
First Steps

Really don't know why you'd want to know calories per split if HR is not even being taken, let's have time and pace

Frodo007
Base Runner

Hi @LanuzaFitbit

Can you explain me and other swimmers here, why Fitbit has chosen to show calories on the app and not the times? Especially when you know that showing calories here is totally useless, because one of the things you need to know to calculate calories, is the heart frequency, at every length. And does Fitbit measures the heart frequency every length while swimming? No it doesn’t. So it’s totally useless and it says nothing, those calories.

Even in this formula that gives someone a bit of an idea how many calories he or she used, you can see they ask at least for the heart rate... 

http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

So what was the reason that Fitbit made that choice? Didn’t they know that you needed to know the heart frequency for that? I try to understand the choice of Fitbit and I try to understand why waiting months and months (to hear what other people have to say about it) before Fitbit changes a useless parameter to a useful parameter? 

Thanks for your answer, already!

Smette
First Steps

I totally agree - the iconic is proving to be more and more worthless.  I'm annoyed that the functionality isn't what I thought it would be.  If the watch can show the data as we're swimming, why can't it show the data when it syncs.  I too am looking into a Garmin.  I was going to look for fitbits for my kids to use, however, this experience with the ionic is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  I will not be recommending fitbit to anyone, unless they are really just looking for step counter.

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@SmetteIf you're in the UK, this is the best price I found - about £233 when using the discount code "SFBT5". I ordered one last week, can't wait!

https://www.biketart.com/accessories-c5/cameras-computers-c123/gps-c133/garmin-forerunner-735xt-gps-...

stephmcdade
Jogger

Lucky you, it looks excellant, I'm in NZ but let me know how your new watch goes.

stephmcdade
Jogger

To Smette, I certianly will not be recommending the Ionic to anyone for triathlons.  My friend is looking for a triathlon watch and I've steered her towards the Garmin.  Sorry Fitbit you are loosing people with this nonsense for showing calories in the app for swimming stats, totally ridiculous.  Means Jack **ahem** to a swimmer.

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@stephmcdadeI will, but I'm not allowed to open the parcel yet - it's a birthday present. I know, a bit weird since I was the one who clicked "buy" but there it is! One week of stat blindness to go and then a world of data awaits...

Frodo007
Base Runner

After 1,5 months, I will repeat my question. I didn’t get any answer from the moderators: 

Hi @LanuzaFitbit

Can you explain me and other swimmers here, why Fitbit has chosen to show calories on the app and not the times? Especially when you know that showing calories here is totally useless, because one of the things you need to know to calculate calories, is the heart frequency, at every length. And does Fitbit measures the heart frequency every length while swimming? No it doesn’t. So it’s totally useless and it says nothing, those calories.

Even in this formula that gives someone a bit of an idea how many calories he or she used, you can see they ask at least for the heart rate... 

http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

So what was the reason that Fitbit made that choice? Didn’t they know that you needed to know the heart frequency for that? I try to understand the choice of Fitbit and I try to understand why waiting months and months (to hear what other people have to say about it) before Fitbit changes a useless parameter to a useful parameter? 

Thanks for your answer, already!’

Maybe there is a problem with Lanza for answering my question... So, @LizFitbit and @SantiR, I also put your names in this message... 😉

Also... nothing changed yet in the Fitbit about the statistics of swimming... still these useless calories I see in my statistics. 

The sentence: ‘let’s see what the other users think’ isn’t answered yet for the Fitbit staff?? I saw no comment here from people who said that we suggested something ridiculous here...

So how long will it take before Fitbit changes a worthless parameter (because Fitbit can’t measure calories with no heartbeat) to a useful parameter, like the time? 

Does it take 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? Will it never come? 

stephmcdade
Jogger

Well said.  I'm hearing you but fitbit isn't.  Looking at purchasing my garmin soon, unless fitbit can make this change asap.

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@stephmcdade @Frodo007 The management have lost patience with me and started deleting my posts. Shame there was no answer to any of the questions I've been asking for the last few months. Good luck with whichever device direction you choose to pursue!

[Quote]

Hello Jon,

I've had to remove your recent posts, quoted below:

--snip--

I will be happy to answer any questions you have, and would appreciate you contacting me or another member of the community team directly with these types of inquiries in the future. If you see a post that you feel needs moderator attention, you can always click the "Flag Post" at the bottom-left of the message.

stephmcdade
Jogger

Hi Jon

I've ordered my new Garmin Fenix 5S watch, just waiting for it to arrive, cannot wait.

Steph

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@stephmcdadeWow I'm not surprised you can't wait - the Fenix looks amazing! Last I heard you were trying to justify the cost of a 735 🙂

stephmcdade
Jogger

I've just got my new watch, now I'm sick so cannot do any training until I get better. 

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@stephmcdadeAw rotten luck! I hope you get well soon. Is it any consolation that you've got some time to get familiar with the Fenix's multitude of functions while you wait? I wouldn't be surprised if the watch can estimate when you'll have recovered 🙂

Frodo007
Base Runner

@Jon001

It’s the same for me, mate... Deleting messages and I got an answer that I have to ask some of my questions on a private way, so by sending it only to a moderator...

It looks problematic if I ask it here, on the forum. So the saw my questions, but they don’t find that they have to answer it in public.

Frodo

jmlinder
First Steps

Dear Fitbit - Please repair the swim splits feature. Full lap splits should be available on the watch and in the app after the exercise is completed. This seems to be simple fix since the data is already gathered by the watch. Lots of people who don't swim love your product, however those of use that do would like to know if a fix is coming and how long we should wait.

Is there any intention of repairing or adding this feature? 

When should we expect a response or update?

Thanks!

stephmcdade
Jogger

I second that, even though I've brought a competitors sports watch I've given my Ionic to my daughter who swims.

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@Frodo007I wasn't sure how much help a forum moderator could be in fixing a software bug but I went ahead and raised my issue with EdsonFitbit as requested. No response yet, would you believe.

DrJoel
Recovery Runner

I agree. It’s like Fitbit didn’t get the perspective of runners when they created some of these features. Of course runners, after doing a lap, want to know right away how long that lap took them. Similarly, the stats that appear in the “today” screen for a run aren’t the ones most runners would want to see. Come on, Fitbit, make these changes!

Nkehoe
Recovery Runner

I agree

tjis is basic functionality of a fitness tracker to display lap times and store so you can see how your improving on each run, swim etc. I have my Fitbit iconic a while and it’s such a disappointment after the cost. I’ll be returning to Garmin and telling others to stay clear of Fitbit as this basic functionality does not exist. It’s such a basic program update that would take no time to do so why are Fitbit continuing to ignore it. Can store music but can’t record Lao time per minute. Doesn’t make sense for soething thst calls itself a fitness watch !

Bmk178
Keeping Pace

I want to attach my frustration to this list. That's it. Thank you. Fit bit team. Please keep up.

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@Bmk178They don't care, or they're not allowed to care. Your best bet is to get what you can for the Fitbit on ebay and buy something more suitable like a Garmin.

Bmk178
Keeping Pace

Have you tried this app? https://myswimpro.com/blog/2018/04/03/compatible-smartwatches-for-the-myswimpro-app/

Does it give better statistics with a free version?

It would be great to have GPS for open water swimming.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.