Display total time after each split

I suggest that you also display the total time elapsed for each split, not just pace. Both in the app and dashboard. 

This is a standard stat in Garmin for instance.

Example: 

Split1: 5'30"(pace) total time: 5:30min

Split2: 5'45"(pace) total time: 11:15min

...and so on.

/Mike

75 Comments
Flol
Jogger

On the Exercice app, in "Splits" tab, only cues, distance and pace are displayed. Please add "time".

For running exercises like 200m, 400m, 1000m series, the GPS is not accurate enough and time split is a must! (When pace is a "nice-to-have feature).

An average HR over the period would be nice to have as well.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I’ve only had the Ionic for 24 hours and compared to my Garmin Forerunner 235 there are some serious shortcomings with the Ionic. 

1. Interval training can only be set with time and not distance

2. No cadence tracking

3. No support for an external HRM

4. No button to hit to record laps when in manual mode (at least I haven’t found it yet)

5. No race predictor

Flol
Jogger
Hi,

In Run mode, the Up-Right button is the lap trigger.
To use this function, you have to set to "Manual Cues". (Exercise > run >
gear icon)

About the other points you listed, I am not yet very familiar with the
Ionic, but I think you are right...:-(
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Thanks for the tip on the laps. I’ll try that today.

Ian Kilvert
Get SET Marketing Communications
(416) 930-7410
ca.linkedin.com/in/iankilvert
@ikilvertGetSET

If you no longer wish to receive communication from me by email, simply hit reply and type "unsubscribe" and I will take you off my email list.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip on the laps. I’ll try that on my run today. I’m hoping they can fix the rest on a firmware update. 

Ssoundergirl
First Steps

Show miles split times along with total miles run when using the interval option or the run option under exercises.

Showing calories burned in each interval is not very important. Knowing how fast each mile was run in, is. 

racerquest
First Steps

I guess this will be my first and last post.

My wife gave me the ionic for Valentines day to replace my still working Garmin 305.

With out the laps function and display its basically worthless to me so we will be returning it.

Sad to hear a fitness watch does not know how to really do laps and display so you know how you are doing during the workout.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Fids
Base Runner

I would like to know why the stats displayed on the ionic straight after a swim cannot be duplicated within the app, doesn't this make more sense seeing cue times, than showing calories burned?

IMG_0185.PNG

I would like to know why the stats displayed on the ionic straight after a swimIMG_0195.jpg

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@Fidstrue, it's almost like different programming teams were assigned to building the immediate post-exercise info and building the app / dashboard parts - and the two aren't allowed to talk!

One thing though - I've never seen that information even right after a swim; I just see the total distance and a single time/100m stat (and calories burnt which I don't care about). Are you doing something special like manual "lap" triggering or have I just missed that info... maybe I need to swipe up or down?

Fids
Base Runner

@Jon001  I totally agree.

You can set the cues etc by going into the app on your phone.  Click on the Account icon, top right of the screen and then click on the Ionic picture.  Choose Exercise shortcuts option, then swim.  Here is where you can set your swim cues.   When I swim now my ionic vibrates every 10 lengths, which helps me keep track of how many lengths I've done without having to look at my watch. This is a picture of the screen and my settings, but you can change them to suit your preferences.  When I finish my swim, I click finish and then it gives me the usual data but also the lap times as my previous pictures showed.  Hope this helps.

IMG_0301.PNG

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@Fidsthat's great, thanks - I'll give that a go for my swim tomorrow! I'd never have thought of digging through swim cues so you've opened up a whole new vista for me 🙂

I hope one day the software catches up with the hardware but I worry that Fitbit Corp are too busy turning themselves into yet another social app. Get the basics right first, folks!

racerquest
First Steps
On the watch the cue shows total time each lap so you cant see what that
lap time was. In the app it shows lap and pace in the cue. Which is almost
worthless.
Jon001
Recovery Runner

@racerquestI'm a bit lost now - haven't tried it myself but @Fids's photo looks like there are sensible looking interval times. I agree about the app though - they don't seem to like displaying useful stats like lap / interval times for some reason, despite capturing all sorts of interesting data. Fitbit are a bit obsessed with calorie counting I think, and I couldn't care less about that. Maybe I need a Garmin!

stephmcdade
Jogger

Can you change the app to show your swim in time and pace, NOT calories.  Calories means nothing to me and is worthless info.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @MThor

Thanks for sharing your idea and feedback with Fitbit! 

Let's keep an eye on what other users have to say about this.

DavidGould
Jogger

I fully support the suggestion that, in general and specifically for the swim, laps and lengths should give priority to times, not calories. Calories matter at the end of the day or week, not every minute or so.
I'm not sure whether this is related, but the "Export to TCX" option for a swim produces a file that is functionally empty. See the code block below. I hadn't configured my swim cues (see a previous comment), so that might be my mistake.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<TrainingCenterDatabase xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabase/v2">
    <Activities>
        <Activity Sport="Other">
            <Id>2018-05-02T07:07:30.000+01:00</Id>
            <Creator xsi:type="Device_t" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <Name>Fitbit Ionic</Name>
                <UnitId>0</UnitId>
                <ProductID>0</ProductID>
            </Creator>
        </Activity>
    </Activities>
</TrainingCenterDatabase>

The TCX definition (see http://www8.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabasev2.xsd) includes a type ActivityLap_t for laps, in which you can record times and distances and Fitbit's beloved calories, so it's not that TCX doesn't support the data: Fitbit just doesn't export it.

Small caveat here: I haven't spoken about the bike statistics because I haven't been out on my bike with my new Fitbit yet.

Swee
First Steps

Fully agree with @stephmcdade... how does calories per lap ever make any sense compared to time? Furthermore the HR monitor is not activated so the calorie burn is an estimate at best!

The watch can show the split times, but the information inexplicably disappears after syncing to the app. This really needs to be fixed for the swim function to be minimally useful... hope to see it implemented soon. 

Hunt.Y
First Steps

I fully agree priority should be given to time for swim. I do not understand how the information Distance split by calories is useful. Please include this in the mobile dashboard. 

stephmcdade
Jogger

If the app isn't changed in the near future, I will be going to buy a Garmin.  The watch to keep track of swimming is useless.  I feel duped purchasing the Ionic to measure swimming.  I had a Fitbit Surge and loved it so was so happy to see when I needed to update my sports watch that the Ionic can go in the water and can be used for swimming, so seriously disappointed.  Fitbit is this anything that is being looked at?

Frodo007
Base Runner

Right, Swee... Giving the burned calorie is useless. If the watch doesn’t monitor the heart frequency. Counting calories is already very difficult in real life. Therefore you need much more information than the heart frequency. So, why did Fitbit even choose for giving calories if it is useless? 

((But for the moment it’s all useless for me, the Ionic doesn’t function anymore after the new update))

The Ionic isn’t so special for swimmers. It’s really basic basic...

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@stephmcdade @Frodo007 agree totally. It wouldn't be so bad if there were regular updates and you thought there was some chance of things changing but my watch has updated once or maybe twice in the 5 months that I've owned it and those didn't bring any features that I was hoping for.

LanuzaFitbit says "Let's keep an eye on what other users have to say about this." which seems to be code for "kick it into the long grass". I expect they'll leave swim tracking on the Ionic as useless as it is today and hope that everyone buys an Ionic2 which will have some pretty new watch faces to distract us.

stephmcdade
Jogger

I for one will not be buying an Ionic 2 next time around, I will be buying a Garmin 750. Trying to work out how I can justify the expense now. Sorry Fitbit you have lost me unless this changes in the very near future and will be telling other Triathletes not to buy a Fitbit.

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@stephmcdadeI can't find a Garmin 750 - 735XT seems to be the one that's getting all the exposure. Do you have a link? I'd normally feel guilty asking for Garmin tips on a Fitbit forum but for some reason that feeling isn't strong in me today...

stephmcdade
Jogger

Sorry I did mean the Garmin 735XT. It looks awesome to me, far better thant he Ionic.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.