Display total time after each split

I suggest that you also display the total time elapsed for each split, not just pace. Both in the app and dashboard. 

This is a standard stat in Garmin for instance.

Example: 

Split1: 5'30"(pace) total time: 5:30min

Split2: 5'45"(pace) total time: 11:15min

...and so on.

/Mike

75 Comments
Jon001
Recovery Runner

I haven't tried MySwimPro but I can confirm that open water swim tracking works fine with my Garmin 735XT. I normally swim in the pool but I did a bit of sea swimming on holiday this year and the distances and map tracks seemed to accurately reflect the courses I swam.

I noticed that the MSP feature set for the Fitbit is very slim - no "split tracking", "pool tracking", "auto-set detection" (whatever that is) or "open water tracking". That doesn't leave much! I suppose you can download some training guidance and that's about it.

It might be possible to trick an Ionic into providing useful training data but life's short and there are other devices that do a much better job 😕

Bmk178
Keeping Pace

@Jon001 Sad but true.

It is such a shame. It is my first Fitbit and it is definitely disappointing. Should have done better research before buying.

On the other hand if you buy waterproof device with GPS and hardware to measure swimming, you expect it to give you proper statistics... Well... First world problems ;). ... but still. Fitbit WTF?!

Jon001
Recovery Runner

@Bmk178Oh I agree absolutely - the hardware seems perfectly capable and it's a real shame that Fitbit aren't interested in making it work. I and a lot of others have spent a lot of time suggesting simple things that they could do to make our expensive baubles fit for purpose but not a single thing has been done in the months (years possibly) that we've been trying. Their strategy is clear: shiny features, obsession with steps and calories, and integration with other entertainment systems. These are not serious training assistance devices and never have been; we were all fooled!

Bmk178
Keeping Pace

Somebody should make YouTube video on that!

Jon001
Recovery Runner

I'm just waiting for someone to start a Class Action 😕

ElStevo
First Steps

Just adding my frustration to the list. I "upgraded" to the Fitbit Ionic from a TomTom Multisport (very good watch but failing battery meant I was recharging every day). The oversight on the swimming lap stats seems utterly inexplicable to me. It sounds like real swimmers were never consulted when developing the product and / or proper beta testing was not done.

There is no technical reason why this cannot be quickly addressed, the watch is obviously recording the split times (as seen in the post workout display), there just needs to be some tweaking to ensure that this is recorded against the workout (see missing data in TCX export above) and then displayed correctly in the App and Web displays.

I have lots of friends who are multisport enthusiasts (triathletes) but at the moment I cannot recommend this watch to them as a serious consideration due to the lack of basic and obvious functionality.

PS And just to add to insult to injury here's a sample from Fitbit's mailshot today:

"See how each swim adds up.
Ionic’s Swim mode displays and records laps, time elapsed, calories burned and more—all in real-time."

Erm, no it doesn't!

tykxboy
First Steps

I am stunned that our actual split times are not displayed. I get frustrated every time I go to look at my split times for my runs and only see "Pace" or when I look at my swims and only "Calories burned" for each 100m. The app is recording the split times and using them to calculate all these other features. Please display the split times. Or at least let us customize the display to choose which to display. I've been calculating my runs for years with my phone or a stopwatch. Split time is a basic need to have stat for athletes. Please provide the actual split times, please!

Frodo007
Base Runner

And once again...

About 1,5 year ago, we already pledged for better statistics for swimming, also because the calorie use is totally useless! For measuring calories, one has to know, at least, the heart rhythm. But the app doesn’t measure the heart rhythm, when swimming. In the 1,5 year we pledged for better statistics, Fitbit changed NOTHING for swimmers. It looked like there were never enough people and arguments, for Fitbit, to change something. When new people asked for changes, we got the answer: ‘let’s see what other people think about it!’. So we asked how many people there were needed to see that changes are necessary and to see that calorie use during swimming is worthless. Everybody who knows a bit about physiology, knows that giving calories is useless, then. Why do you then give us the calories?

And for what is Fitbit waiting? We don’t even get the statistics that are shown on the Fitbit itself. You can’t find them back in the app. Give us, please, the times of every round instead of these useless calories. 

Tell us that you don’t plan any updates and that you didn’t change a thing since the beginning of the Fitbit. 

Me and other swimmers are disappointed. So please do something about that swim app!

LindaCompau
Recovery Runner

Wish we could repost this so more people would see it. They REALLY NEED TO HELP WITH THIS!

tykxboy
First Steps

Yes! More people need to see this and chime in.

And I second the ridiculousness of showing calories per lap for swimming. What is the point? Is that really the most important stat that swimmers want to see? We should see time splits! And for running we should see time splits, too, not pace. Or at the least, let the users choose which stat to see.

Please, FitBit. Make this change! Soon!

stephmcdade
Jogger

I started this thread, but gave up and went and brought a Garmin watch which I absolutely love!

Flol
Jogger
Good choice!! Same thing for me and my Wife: back to Garmin watches. Real
runners need real stuff.
keshovsharma
First Steps

Honestly, it is a little ridiculous that Fitibit has failed to address this for a couple for ~1.5 years. Not only is the "calories burned" metric riddled with assumptions that decrease it's accuracy, its not a metric that is useful at the split level. It is difficult to improve as a swimmer or triathlete (or really any endurance sport) without comparing the amount of time it took to go a specific distance over the course of your training (i.e. comparing splits). Please, for the love of efficient training, just give us the split times for manual cues in swimming.

paddyirishman
Base Runner

Please fitbit.. can you provide an update that will show the times for splits on the dashboard when data is uploaded for splits. We don't want a calorie spilt but we want a lap split of times done.

And the gps turned on for swimming be also a great idea.

paddyirishman
Base Runner
  • Please fitbit. can you provide an update that will show the times for splits on the dashboard when data is uploaded for splits. We don't want a calorie spilt but we want a lap split of times done.And the gps turned on for swimming be also a great idea.

Bkuhlmann
First Steps

Currently the versa can be set to either auto-pause or not, meaning you can either elapsed time or moving time. Would like to be able to track both. E.g. I was gone for 2 hours but I was only moving for 1 hr 40 min.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Bkuhlmann! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

ElStevo
First Steps

Well after a year of inaction by Fitbit I've given up and bought a Garmin Venu. Very happy, I can now see my swim splits again!

Aside from not addressing this bug (yes, it's a bug, this feature obviously was meant to work as the splits are displayed post-swim but not saved) there have been a number of recent changes which have annoyed me greatly:

The workout display colour has changed from yellow to orange. This makes it much more difficult to see in the water or indeed when I'm running.

The heartrate is now not shown on the screen prior to starting a workout. This was very useful to see an initial heartrate and check that the watch was reading OK.

You now can't start workouts with the physical buttons. That's a real pain if you're going for a run in cold weather and wear gloves.

I just want to use the physical buttons to start / pause workouts. I've been running in the rain a couple of times and the workout has been inadvertently paused a couple of times by rain falling on the screen.

The android app has become extremely flaky and crashes frequently.

Swim lap detection has been a bit hit and miss lately (often being a lap behind). I don't know if this is because of the annoying message that now appears at the start of every swim workout (it's not entirely clear when the timer starts)

tykxboy
First Steps

The swim splits only showing calories, the run splits only showing average pace instead of actual time, and then over the last few months my runs have switched to using my stride length instead of the GPS for at least the first couple miles - if not the entire run. I finally gave up, as well. Switched to Garmin Forerunner 735xt. You don’t have to be a serious athlete to needs these stats. If you actually care about your exercise stats, FitBit just doesn’t cut it. And these are items that have been around on other watches for years. So it’s inexcusable for FitBit not to at least make them a customizable option. Oh well. I’m now only using my FitBit account to connect to my Aria scale. It’s been real.

MinhHo
Jogger

I have been waiting for 3 years, many many swimmers complained, but nothing's updated for pace in app. fitbit is dumb, doesn't care customer's feedback. Suggesting not buy any fitbit products

AlexJJJJ
Jogger

Totally agree. 3 years of users asking for simple change. They do nothing. Won't be buying a Fitbit again.

HDH3636
First Steps
While seeing the pace on each mile in the mile spilt is helpful, I'd rather see the actual time each mile took.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @HDH3636, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to see time elapsed for each split. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

TillyH
Jogger
We get shown a total time and then a split in terms of pace for KM/Mile - but why don't we get to see the actual TIME we ran for per KM or mile?

Other watches do this - such as Apple, Garmin, etc. I just don't get why Fitbit doesn't.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @TillyH, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about displaying time split per distance on your exercises. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.