Edit Time of Daily Reset of Stats / Add Nightshift

Hi, It would be great if users could change the daily reset of stats to a different hour. We night owls who go sleep late after midnight now have to calculate the differences in our heads and that's not ideal. Thanks!

Moderator edit: labels and title for clarity

885 Comments
cambear62
First Steps

Some of us arent asleep at midnight and have schedules that require us to work 3rd shift--or just like to hang with a crowd that doesn't always get home until 2-4am.  Could you add a feature that lets us set the hours for our day--so we could tell our Fitbits to count our steps etc starting at some time other than midnight?

(Or if there's some way to do this already--other than pretending you're in a different time zone-please let me know!)

Thanks!

Cameron

Caasualskibumm
First Steps

I was wondering if you could add a feature, be able to define the day by times. I work midnight shift so my day starts at 1500. I want to adjust my meals and activities to coincide with my day and not from 0000-2359. Currently as an example my breakfast would be at 1530 on one day and dinner would be 0300 on the next.

BrittanyS
First Steps
I'm an ER nurse and work nights. Instead of resetting automatically at midnight, have option to reset at noon, without having to change time zones.
DoomsDave1
Jogger

Allow us to customize time for end of day. So when your day ends, say at 10, the calories that are spent sleeping will be on the next day's calories, so when I plan perfectly and then lose it due to unknown calories burned during sleep.

I love my fitbit but i wish we could set an "end of day/reset time" manually... I work until 230 most nights and also am eating after midnight. In this scenario, I dont want to have to do a work around. I want to get credit today for my 5000+ steps after midnight and also the caloric intake of a meal at midnight or later... Is there any chance of Fitbit coming through for all of us night owls?
Kikstand
Recovery Runner
Especially for those working nights.
curlyqz1333
First Steps

I wish fitbit had a way of starting and ending our days at certain times rather than midnight. I know that you can switch the timezones around if needed, but I work as a nurse, so my shifts switch constantly from night to day. Often I am awake past midnight so my steps split and are counted for the next day. If there was an option to "start" and "end" our days that would be great!

Heidi_Kohne
Runner

I'm generally a nightowl, so would love the option to make the day shift be more like 1am or so.  So many people have graveyard shifts or wacky schedules that I'm surprised this isn't already a feature.

nitewalker
First Steps

Would love to see an option to change the reset time of the device. I work 12's at night from 7P to 7A and get ALOT of activity at work (14 miles, 18 flights avg)  not to mention my daily bike commute to and from. Granted, the sync does show activities but have to back track because of the reset time. Gets confusing...:) An option to reset the device at noon would be really nice for night people! Please add the option to turn night into day!

smhseto
Jogger

The midnight reset is making me crazy.  If I am tracking my sleep anyway wouldn't it stand to reason that the pedometer would reset when I "wake up" from tracking sleep?  I work overnights and my steps are so screwed up that it defeats the purpose of having a pedometer.  Please put in a setting to allow us to decide what time of day our steps reset!

Nocteris
Keeping Pace
Omg, yes! I've written Fitbit directly asking for exactly this! I work 6p to 6a...I knew I couldn't be the only one!
divo183
First Steps

I agree with this type of option being added to the settings. It's seems like a lot of people don't care about the fitbit Flex resetting at midnight.

Smiley Sad

Zethican
First Steps
I am also live my live on the opposite side of the clock, and while I have been really enjoying my FitBit, the midnight-to-midnight cycle doesn't make sense for my life. Imagine your FitBit resetting every day at 2:00 in the afternoon; Its exactly like that for those of us trying to get healthy while the rest of the world is asleep. I know it sounds like a minor quibble, but this small change could make the difference between frustration and satisfaction for so many.
Fit-for-nothing
First Steps

Like the night shift workers I too have problems as I work a 3 week rotating shift pattern where I work earlies, afternoons and nights. Maybe instead of the category system of breakfast,morning snack lunch etc. you could set the actual time you eat meals over a 24 hr period. Breakfast for me may be at 04.30, 13.00 or 21.00 hours depending on which shift I am on. and a counter wheel to set the time would be perfect

nitewalker
First Steps
!@ Zethican, Dude This is NOT a minor quibble. From what I have seen
perusing the Fitbit forums there are truly and truly some really quibbling
things people post....This is, in my mind is no quibbling matter. This is
about how some people have to live their life and statistics show that
those of us who walk the night are at greater risk of a plethora of
ailments and malaise such as increased risk of heart disease, Seasonal
Affective Disorder, stroke, depression....you get the idea. This should not
be ignored by Fitbit and eagerly await a change in the software to allow
this function or, if a software update is not possible, then to buy one
that does allow this function. Cheers.
Status changed to: New
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Brilliant and helpful idea! Thanks for posting 🙂

Status changed to: New
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for this suggestion!

nitewalker
First Steps

Wellll.. I did it. I reset the time zone after reading a post here. Dunno why I never thought of it before. I don't use the device to check the time anyway...kinda a useless function for me as it is normally tucked securely into a side cargo pocket of my Carrharts. Don't even look at it save for the syncing bit or charging it and I really don't care what time of day it is anyway...lol. Times are calculated by sets of rolls coming off the machines, feet per minute and a calculator on my cell phone, my 12's are ruled by machines!  Sleepy time can be figured easily enough. 

It's an almost elegant work around but would still like to see the option for the 10 percenter's or so who work the night shift. BTW...in doing a little research for this post I found a PBS link to a show called "Livelyhood" that was aired early in the millenia. I plan to figure out how to get a DVD of this since the website actually says Videotapes (!). Just sayin....  http://www.pbs.org/livelyhood/nightshift/who.html  

P.S. I love gettin home in the morning raining or not, birds chirping...or not, and seeing my neighbors dash off to fight the commute!        Smiley LOL

Cludge
First Steps
I work 3rd shift, so my day runs 12pm-6am. But fitbit only tracks the standard 12am-11:59pm period. So my daily data doesn't really accurately represent what I'm doing in a "day". I have to go through & figure out for myself how much of my steps, etc. really happened "yesterday". And it's basically pointless for my Flex to notify me when I hit my goal since part of it is always from the day before.

I've already given up on recording meals cause it's too much of a pain trying to remember which day it should be recorded on.

For those of us who live on alternate schedules, it would be really helpful to be able to set our own 24hr periods to track, so that our data is on the same schedule as we are.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree whole-heartedly! Fitbit needs to be considerate of all of its user's lifestyles and possible schedules.

Nightguard
Stepping Up
Fitbit allows us to choose what day we start the week on ( e.g. Sunday or Monday) but we can't change what time our day starts at. My Fitbit One starts at 11pm, well at that time I'm on my way to work, not bed! Please change the software to allow us to choose what time our day starts like we can do with picking what day our week starts on.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Fitbit inexplicably allows us to specify when a week starts (Sunday or Monday) but not when a day starts. Why allow one but not the other? Unfathomably illogical and inconsistent. Selectable start/end times for days NEEDS to happen, and the software coding to allow for this would be trivial. If Fitbit can't/won't allow this, then logically they should shut off the selectable start-of-week setting too (for consistency).

The lack of this setting has been the biggest disappointment since I got my Fitbit three weeks ago.

tryingfitagain
First Steps

not being able to set this feature is enough for me to send this product back,and not very accurate. i have the charge

lizc1986
First Steps
I would love to have the ability to change the reset time for Fitbit to something other than midnight. As a shift worker, my schedule changes a lot and I do not typically go to bed before midnight like a normal person. Because of this, my stats end up being pretty inaccurate from day to day. If I could control the reset time to fit MY day, Fitbit would work so much better for me! I can imagine a lot of other people struggle with this, as well.
tsubakistyle
Jogger

HI i'm a 22 year old college student, and unfortunatly I have to stay up late a lot. I often have to work late into the night on a school paper or project until around 3 am everyday. Of course I don't just sit still or I would probably fall asleep, I have to get up periodically to move around or to get up and make a snack, possibly step outside to try and refresh myself. Being that the fitbit flex automatically resets it's steps to 0 at 12 am, when I wake unforutnatly I see that I start my day with at least 500 - 700 steps already logged in from the night before. When I see this first thing the morning after doing my usuall routine it kind of throws me off, since I know full well that I didnt walk 1,640 steps (last nights steps + whatever i walked that morning). Im someone who needs a fresh clean slate to see and start from. This goes beyond just a college student having to stay up late, think of shift workers? Doctors, nurses, night guards etc. I think it would be a really good feature if you could either manually go on the website and tell it the usual time you go to bed. Or maybe if when you put it into sleep mode the steps would automatically just go to zero. Granted I could just change the time so that way it's 2 hours earlier, but I could see that getting confusing when I look back on my graphs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.