Export more than 31 days of data

If you manage to find how to export your data (Settings?), you are presented with this lovely corporate pabulum:

Your data belongs to you!

At the bottom of that area is the much more truthful

You can export up to 31 days of data.

Given that I've been using FitBits for just under three years, this means that 1 month of 36 is available to me.  Thus, 2.78% of my data belongs to me.  It's not quite as catchy, but it's more truthful.  

Please either extend the data period available or have an option for the progress report e-mails to include CSV files of the the previous week's data.  One month of data is not enough to analyze trends.

30 Comments
jobjorn
Jogger

Currently, you can't export more than one month's worth of data at a time. This is ridiculous and should be increased to one year, if any limit should be in place at all.

It says "Your data belongs to you!" in a bright box right above the export form, if this is true I should be able to get my hands on it, no?

Moderator Edit: Labels

Kight
Base Runner

I completely agree.  You should be able to export at least a year of data at a time.

Kissa
Jogger

I agree! I'm fighting right now to download my sleep data since 2013. This is soooo ridiculous that we can't just export by year or TYPE the date in.

Rbwantdata
First Steps

FitBit states “your data belongs to you”, but they intentionally make it impractical to download.  Seem dishonest?

RapidOwl
First Steps

This will likely be a requirement of GDPR compliance anyway. Anything that obstructs a user accessing the data held by a third party makes that party liable for action to be taken against them. It's an incoming EU regulation, but there's no reason for this download to be restricted by region.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

HeyItsTodd
Jogger

I was thinking about it a bit, and realized that the export from the site shouldn't be necessary - the data is stored on the device (PC, Phone, …) first before transferring to the Fitbit servers.  The app in use could save the data on the device (ENCRYPTED) for use by the Fitbit user. No loss of data, no extra data being served by Fitbit.

RosieRunner2017
First Steps

I think you can download data from further back than a month - just only 31 days at a time. You just need to set a custom date range when downloading the data, and should be able to access all of your past data. Just very time-consuming!

HeyItsTodd
Jogger

You are correct - thank you for pointing that out. 

However, Fitbit, it shouldn't be a arduous and monotonous task to export my data - all of the data available should be exportable.  As per a previous comment, the data started on my device, so why shouldn't I be able to keep/extract/manipulate it on my device(s)?

Daya24
First Steps

I’d like to be able to export data from my Apple health app for the entire year onto Fitbit. It only allows me to upload data from a few weeks back as opposed to the entire year.. this would be extremely helpful to be able to see on my Fitbit app instead of having to toggle back and forth from my Apple health app

JDCee
First Steps

Include a user selectable date range for data export.

include a method for exporting the graphs that are available on the website dashboard.

Ann_geek
Jogger

I agree .. all other data collection systems are enabled to export data to an CSV or excel file.. Apple where are you?????

Xoker
Jogger

I need access to all of my historical data, as implied by clever marketing slogan. I just discovered the 31-day export restriction for myself and am once again frustrated with, rather than wowed by, this company. I'll try writing a letter to corporate and see what, if anything, I hear back.

Scheck
First Steps

Is there some business or liability issue as to why this enhancement request is being completely ignored?  It's been on the docket for at least 3 years now?

sjohnsia
Stepping Up

Please - this should be easy to implement - why would anyone limit their user community to 31 days of information.  To get my data I have to export the data 12 times for each year - then have to combine the separate spreadsheets into one to get the comprehensive data.  I want the date in a spreadsheet to allow me to see how i have improved since starting using the fitbit.

SunriseRun206
Jogger

I agree, our data belongs to us, users of fitbits, just imagine that LINKEDIN only would allow us to download 10 connections at a time?, the amount of data you FITBIT INC allow us to download is WORTHLESS, if you don't fix this I will go to another brand!! and you will lose a 5 yr customer!

Spacebee
First Steps

Any news on this? It doesn't currently look like Fitbit are responding to this query or keen to let us have the data we own in the format we want it in. Rather disappointing.

SharonYS
Jogger

Glad to find fellow irate fitbitters here! Same problem I'm facing: I was really disappointed to learn that we can only download up to 31 days at a time. I haven't downloaded previously and want to keep better track of my activities and now face this hurdle. Now I have to generate many files, one month at a time, over the years I've been using fitbit. Fitbit, I'm honestly surprised this is even an issue.Please allow users to download data with a more flexible and customize-able time period, instead of limiting it to 31 days at a time? Like yesterday??? Thanks!!!

Kissa
Jogger

The only way I found to make it easier is literally to refresh the page after each month export so I don't have to do the back and forth changes of because of the month lengths. I'm about giving up on FitBit, as soon as I can, I'm going to be switching to the Helo.

tschel
First Steps

I fully agree. Very disappointing that a bulk export for a fully customizable date range is not possible. Fitbit should fix that asap as to not cause unnecessary frustration with their products. 

give_me_my_data
First Steps

Another disappointing lack of functionality from fitbit... It doesn't integrate with the apple health app (which is probably understandable given that Apple is a competitor), and now you cannot export/review your own data.  I've had fitbit for >2 years and I'm not interested in only 1 month of my data.   I previously was able to export all of my data (last done ~December 2016) - why was this functionality done away with?  

If the ability to export ALL of your data is not restored, I will be switching to the apple watch for my next smart watch.

Cloudserf
First Steps

To me this seems worse than a lack of functionality. I can't see their code; but I would think they'd have to go out of there way to set up the system such that only a subset of your data can be exported. This also appears evident in how long the export process takes. It seems to me that the bulk of the data is being queried anyway. It should be natural to export the bulk of your data as a pile of CSV files.

Kissa
Jogger
Oh Boy!!! Have you SEEN what they have done to the export page????? They took the ability away to export individual types of data completely. Now there is a massive export (only once per day) that doesn't even give you CVS files of the weight. Its a freaking .json file! No one can open that without specific software. Eveyone needs to chime in on https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Changes-to-Data-Export-tool/td-p/3068710 to let them know how royally they have screwed up! I defiantly won't be getting another Fitbit product again!
CardiganWearer
Tempo Runner

@KissaYes, they have truly screwed it up.

however this thread is misleading also. You could export more than 31 days data - just a limit of one month at a time. Hardly a deal breaker for a regular user? I was six months into fitbit before I decided to export, so I did 6 times. Now I do once a month.

The previous export facility (as opposed to the current disaster) was also majorly deficient in that one couldn't export activity data or heart rate data.

Kissa
Jogger

@CardiganWearer 

It may be no big deal for 6 months but for me, I have used the sleep tracking and weight log since 2013 - 5 years of data that now I can't export to a CSV!

Earlier this year I found a website (https://www.sleepgraph.com) that takes the sleep data and makes it easy to visually see how my Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder/ Non-24 is transitioning. I wanted to see all MY DATA but after 24 times of having to click soooo many times just to keep working the 31 days backwards, I gave up. Now I am reaaaaly kicking myself!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.