Ability to use Chest Strap Heart Rate Monitor or foot pods

I like that the Charge HR and Surge have the ability to monitor heart rate via the wrist based optical monitor, but from what I have gathered, it sounds like all wrist based optical heart rate monitors have poor accuracy at high intensity workouts.  It would be great if fitbit had a product that had a wrist based heart rate monitor, but would switch to using a chest strap heart rate monitor if one was detected.  Any chance that the firmware/software on the Charge HR and/or Surge could be updated to use a bluetooth chest strap heart rate monitor? 

Moderator edit: labels and title.

332 Comments
spacebanana
First Steps
A chest band and/or upper arm band would be an ideal option for other kinds of workouts. It should be able to track HR data and ideally store it until pairing with the phone. It should be seen as an accessory to complement the watches when they can't be worn. I don't want/need tons of features. The technology already exists, just need compatability
alshdavid
Jogger

charge.jpgI have been wearing my Charge 5 with a CGM sticker on my tricep. HR readings are constant, sticker survives showers, workouts, and sleeping. The tape lasts a week, which lines up with the charge times.

Surprisingly, I might just be weird but I cannot feel it on there. If I do, it feels like my shirt touching my arm.

Obviously this means I can't use the screen, but I didn't use anything on there anyway.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @spacebanana, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding the option to use a chest strap heart rate monitor. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support. 

While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

NitsujEtoob
First Steps
A chest strap heart rate monitor that syncs with wrist wearable and app.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @NitsujEtoob, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding a chest strap heart rate monitor that syncs with watch and Fitbit App. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

timps74
Jogger
Trying to leave Garmin eco system but really finding one of the biggest issues with Fitbit is no external heart rate support. In todays day many people train with Kettle Bells, Martial Arts, Boxing ect. With my garmins I could take the watch off and still record activites. You are loosing so many customers by not having this one simple feature.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @timps74, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about supporting external heart rate chest strap with us. Because this product feedback was already requested on this board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.