FLAC support

FLAC is used everywhere and is an excellent format to play lossless music. Apple has tried to ignore this format but it has not gone away and they've now adopted it. Please do the same.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

15 Comments
JustChecking
Jogger

I agree.   I would go even further and add support for .wma files also.

poganel
Jogger

I'm joining.

Martinefski
Runner

I am in it would be a goodthing.

RiseAgainst
Recovery Runner

All my music is in FLAC format as well and would appreciate for it to support that format

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Don't forget to vote by clicking the like button at the top!

James8561
Jogger

I transferred some FLAC files to the ionic and they're played perfectly!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Are you sure James? Sure they weren't just MP3's with a FLAC extensions maybe. You weren't using your cellphone at all when playing back the files?

Anybody else tried FLAC? I have to admit I never bothered as it says it isn't supported.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hm, I don't know. FLAC eats up a lot of memory (300 MB for an album), so you can have something like 8 albums on the 2.5 Gig of the Ionic. And as the main use case for using the Ionic's music is probably running (without phone), the quality difference shouldn't be that noticeable, right? I get the point that it's convenient if you have a huge FLAC library, but wouldn't then a "convert FLAC to MP3 on the fly while uploading songs to the device" the better idea?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

In regards to Jame's comment above I can 100% confirm FLAC does not work and is unsupported. I've tested this. I suspect he had some files that may have had the FLAC extension on the filename, but were actually a supported file type such as MP3.

In regards to agsteiner, I simply want to transfer FLAC files and play them. That is my feature request please vote or not. Thanks.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @SunsetRunner! I like this idea, very nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Valgar91
Jogger

Please add FLAC support for ionic users. thank you

Gjg1974
First Steps

+1 Please add FLAC support for the ionic, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

jtagye
First Steps

Please support FLAC!  This could be a make or break deal for many smart watch users!!

LarsA
Stepping Up

+1 to this suggestion.

@SunsetRunner

Hm, I don't know. FLAC eats up a lot of memory (300 MB for an album), so you can have something like 8 albums on the 2.5 Gig of the Ionic. And as the main use case for using the Ionic's music is probably running (without phone), the quality difference shouldn't be that noticeable, right? I get the point that it's convenient if you have a huge FLAC library, but wouldn't then a "convert FLAC to MP3 on the fly while uploading songs to the device" the better idea?

I disagree a lot to convert the flac to mp3 during the transmission.

Yes, of course, the FLACformat requires a bit more space, but it should not prevent us from using it. If you think the space is most important, you should be able to use a hard compressed mp3, if you think the most important thing is sound quality or something else you should be able to use FLAC. One possibility should not exclude the other.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.