Find my phone even if Fitbit app isn’t open on my phone

Want find my phone app to work from Fitbit watch even if Fitbit app isn’t open on my phone.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and label.

17 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Ericwashere, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to use "Find my phone" app even if Fitbit app isn’t open on the phone. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

JazzBebe
Recovery Runner

I have this feature on my Versa and it is really useful but not on my Inspire 2. Is there any way it can be added? 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Only the background embedded section of the Fitbit app needs to be running. 

JazzBebe
Recovery Runner

So could theoretically be added in a future update, if you can just get someone to sign off on it? 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Not sure what is it that may need to be signed off on. 

Your Fitbit does not talk to your phone, but talks to your Fitbit app. The Fitbit app then tells the phone make a noise. 

If the Fitbit app is on the phone, the app starts when the k one is turned on. The user then will have to kill the app through the phones settings. Swiping from the screen is not enough. 

JazzBebe
Recovery Runner
That makes total sense but it works on my Versa 2 with the app closed so
the background processing must be communicating. Would love this
functionality on my Inspire 2 (I switch depending on looking smart or rock
chick/tech nerd 🤓 🤣
mshonda57
First Steps

This would be very useful 

AltonCruz
First Steps

Brilliant, thanks for sharing this info. This is all very interesting 🙂

HannahBrockman
First Steps

I have the versa lit but the rest of my family has the charge series. I have the find my phone feature but they do not. It seems like a fairly basic app that could be added to the Charge series.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@HannahBrockman for the Charge 4 and Charge 3, yes it could be added, 

Have you voted for the suggestion to add this app to the Charge series? We also have this suggestion for the Charge 4

This current thread is not addressing the tracker, but is about how the Fitbit app acts on the phone. 

tareq11
Jogger

If they add these features, it will be helpful for human life.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Find my phone works with the background part of the Fitbit app, this is the part that starts when the phone is rebooted. Their isn't any reason to actually run the User Interface. 

The find my phone, must talk to some specific app on the phone.. If you do not want it to talk to the Fitbit app, then we will need some other app on the phone. 

To wrap up, the find my phone will not work if their isn't an app on the phone to talk to. 

Tioman
Jogger

So disappointed that the 'find my phone  option isn't even available on my Inspire 2...any way that you can update the software to include this feature???..my sister has a cheap fitbit copy and it even has this feature!!!..live alone with no landline so this feature would be a great help when I mislay my phone????

toddsdonald
Strider

Yes please it's ridiculous that find my phone only works if the Fitbit app is open. I only open the Fitbit app if I need to check in depth stats or check a setting, etc. I don't leave it open all the time. The find my phone thing is awesome, but if it only works when the Fitbit app is running, it's useless and should be removed.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@toddsdonald make sure you have given the fitbit app permission to run in the background. The find my phone needs to communicate with fitbits background services. 

Actually the find my phone has to talk with some app on your phone and tell this app to adjust the phone volume and the this app needs to put a noise on the speaker. 

Your watch will not be able to directly control these two functions directly. 

baldwad
Jogger

I have this problem with a Versa 2. 

The app needs to be open (not swiped closed) on the iPhone for ‘Find My Phone’ on the Fitbit to work.  Clearly it doesn’t with the people reporting as they are. If I can’t find my phone I can’t start the app if it wasn’t left open. 

Community Legend wrote the app starts when the phone starts.  Umm no.  If I restart the phone no apps ‘open’ automatically. Not until I open FitBit does it synch. The Bluetooth is established, yes, but the app isn’t open and the data doesn’t synch until I open the FitBit app. 

Find my Phone should be enabled and work if the Bluetooth connection is made. I shouldn’t have to open the app. It’s useless and unreliable and inconsistent if Find My Phone won’t chime my phone if the app isn’t open. This is just limited functionality. When reported, FitBit will say “you need to open the app to find your phone”. Well, too late !! 

If Fitbit isn’t going to find my phone after I swipe it closed it should have a safeguard like when an ad resists leaving a webpage. It should prompt that Find My Phone requires leaving the app open… Close or Leave Open. 

Better still would be a way to force the app to open and stay open (unless force-closed.)

This is a pain in the butt to have to report such a basic functionality that doesn’t work well. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Well the find my phone app on the tracker talks to the Fitbit App on the Phone. The tracker nerds to be able to talk to some app on the phone, this app could be embedded into the iOS, but it would still be part of Fitbit 

For this to work properly, the fitbit app needs permission to run at start-up. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.