Food Database for Australia

Now that Fitbit is being sold (and is loved) in Australia, I'd love to see a Food Database for Australian users.  I don't use the Food diary at the moment, because it takes far too much time trying to adapt the American database to match what I am eating.

Would this be possible in the future?Cat Happy

Moderator Edit: Updated label

120 Comments
Eejit
Jogger

Fitbit Mods,

New to fitbit, but this thread shows the question has been around for over a year.  If other sites have one, the info is obviously available ... somewhere.

I'm not inclined to go to different sites to enter info, yes I'm lazy, these devices are meant to focus our attention in "one spot", if you have to go to different sites, then bad habits will creep in and valuable info wont be recorded.

Any timeline on an Australian Food Database?

McLuke
Base Runner

Still nothing? I'm new to fitbit and am loving my Charge HR however with not being able to record my food properly or having to add it in manually is very time consuming.

Even the S Health app by samsung has an Australian Food Database

There is still no update on this I asked support and just got a thans for the great idea response...which pretty much means nothing it'd be nice to if it is at least in the works and the have a rough timeline.

LinaR
First Steps

Yes I absolutely agree with everyone on having an AUSTRALIAN food data base.

Are we able to sync it with the Weight Watchers food data base??

@StarryG wrote:

Now that Fitbit is being sold (and is loved) in Australia, I'd love to see a Food Database for Australian users.  I don't use the Food diary at the moment, because it takes far too much time trying to adapt the American database to match what I am eating.

Would this be possible in the future?Cat Happy

neaththerose
Jogger

I'd like to add my voice to all the other comments.  Just purchased the Fitbit and Aria scales, joined up and could not believe there is not Australian food database - very frustrating.  I see this was raised a couple of years ago - is there an ETA on when this may be added?

LinaR
First Steps
I've connected to My Fitness Pal & it works beautifully. You can even scan products that have a bar code
Give it a go
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would be great if an Australian food database was built into fitbit - at present my workaround is to use My Fitness Pal app which pushes the information to fitbit - but honestly, this is pretty tedious having to use the two apps. 

Zanna
First Steps

Yes please, particularly as my husband has just set his up and doesn't have MyFitnessPal.  It's hard to get motivated about logging food when it is tedious however it is so much more motivating if you do log.   Please, please, an Australian food database of healthy food choices instead of the fast and processed foods - might encourage people to eat better.  And think of the media hype you can achieve when it's released and therefore new purchases.

McLuke
Base Runner

@AmritaFitbit Hi Amrita,

I see we have had this passed along to the team and I am wondering if we could have an update? Is this being worked on? Is there an ETA?

Regards Luke.

@Amrita wrote:

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
This is a great idea for all of our Fitbit friends in Australia! We'll be sure to forward this idea along to the team

crock
Jogger

Ditto.

Australia.

Food Database.

Calorieking.com.au

Oi Oi Oi!

emmaf
First Steps
Hi im having trouble using the us data base and am hoping there is an Australian one or can you please put in place australian one thanks
MissManPants
Keeping Pace

I would love for this to be extended to New Zealand too 😄

Status changed to: Released
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I'm extremely excited to announce that an AU food database is now available!

To access it: log onto Fitbit.com > click the gear icon in the top right-hand corner > click 'settings' on the pulldown > click the 'personal info' tab on the left > scroll to the bottom of the page until you see food database > select Australia on the food database pull down and click save > log food.

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us on the Feature Request board.

McLuke
Base Runner
Derrick thank you very much for letting us know, I can't wait to start using it!
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@McLuke No problem, thanks for sharing your feedback and ideas on the feature request board.

Mmcc
Recovery Runner
It would be good if we had Australian ( or country) champions that could communicate what Fitbit is doing to make things better for the Fitbit members. I have been searching the forum and there is a clear issue with the Australian food database which I'm sure could be easily fixed with a little research and technical know how. There are some great Australian food databases out there that Fitbit needs to have a look at and make ours even better. Also in Australia, we have moved to kj over cal. All products sold hAve the kj and for us to put this into Fitbit we need to convert it over to cal. I'm sure this is not a difficult fix. I am enjoying Fitbit and would like to do all I can to make it better.
davwatto77
First Steps

Just tried scanning 10 or so items, all not found and my database is set to Australian

It's 2016(almost 2017), this was supposed to be implemented 2 years ago and no I don't want to use myfitnesspal

Reisley82
First Steps

Hello...

Ive changed the food data base to australia but im not sure hoe to add products to it?

Can someone please advise me how?

Everything i scan in my house isnt recognized and its frustrating.

Thanks.

woahdavey
First Steps

This is absolute nonsense. I am seriously considering switching to Garmin. I feel like Fitbit don't take their customers seriously with behaviour like this, and I don't like supporting companies who don't take their customers seriously.

Alexander16
Jogger

Agree, it is so much trouble trying to understand some of the American terms and that coupled with the mixed measurements make it just too hard so I have given up trying to input food into the App.   It is a pity.

The odd observation is that most items are metric but some are not, for example kilojoules is not coupled with a metric oriented country.  Eventually we can only hope that someone listens.

elmyrnvbo
Recovery Runner

Does anybody know if there's a way to add CalorieKing Australia database https://www.calorieking.com/au/en/ to Fitbit?

I am finding the info in CalorieKing more accurate than the default Australian nutrition database.

Thank you!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.