Generate meaningful TCX for swimming data

The TCX for a pool swim using a Fitbit Ionic (and possibly other models) is missing virtually all detail (only useful data is the activity start date).

Please can we generate a simple TCX that reflects the length splits. This would involve generating a set of <Trackpoint> nodes that look like the following:

<Trackpoint>
<Time>2018-08-08T10:21:42Z</Time>
<DistanceMeters>25</DistanceMeters>
</Trackpoint>

<Trackpoint>
<Time>2018-08-08T10:22:11Z</Time>
<DistanceMeters>50</DistanceMeters>
</Trackpoint>

<Trackpoint>
<Time>2018-08-08T10:22:34Z</Time>
<DistanceMeters>75</DistanceMeters>
</Trackpoint>

etc...

The Fitbit user who first brought this to our attention bought the watch in the hope that she would be able to export her data to her favourite website to analyse her splits on long-distance training. A lot of our users (30,000 monthly unique visitors) make their tech purchasing decisions based on the capabilities of the manufacturer's platform to export that data for detailed analysis. Garmin and TomTom watches already offer this. If Fitbit can make this happen, we'd be sure to share it with our users. It may not be directly relevant to our runners and bikers, but it would be a great example for us to highlight how Fitbit is a malleable platform that responds to user needs.

Thanks for reading!

Ian W.

Moderator edit: Removed personal information.

30 Comments
StillLateStart
First Steps

I’m only looking to export data from gym sessions, so not too hard to manage, I would have thought 🤔

CraigMc
First Steps

I'm yet another person who bought a Fitbit Ionic with the misconception that I would be able to upload cycling, running and SWIMMING to Strava. I feel like I was misled and wasted my money purchasing the Ionic. Fitbit, please make swimming to Stava possible! If I had known Fitbit's limitations I would have purchased a Garmen or similarly capable fitness watch.

Russ68
First Steps

Come on Fitbit! This is an easy fix surely? I’m having to manually upload to Strava, just for an overall log of total distance. But no HR, no pace, no TSS, very poor! A bit like not offering auto pause on the Surge despite so many requests for it, very cynical and not respecting of user loyalty. Please redeem yourself by sorting this one 😉

Mario11
First Steps

Please consider adding a feature to sync swimming to Strava, very disappointing that Ionic doesn’t do this!!

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.