Google Play Music App on Fitbit devices

I'm hoping for support of Google music on the ionic and versa, or even a quick app which will allow you to control songs and explore playlists remotely on the watch.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

109 Comments
RockRabbit
Jogger

Me too, play music on Versa

Claireyfairey
Jogger
I think it should have the main ones like Google and Spottify.

--
Claire

I am also entrenched happily in the Google play ecosystem. I have a family plan with them and listen to hours of music every day. Not having to pull my phone out to change tracks would be ideal. 

Google have plenty of APIs to allow this sort of stuff surely? 

Maybe I should have gone for an Apple watch.... *Spit spit*

Claireyfairey
Jogger
Totally with you on that. I’m contemplating Apple now. Had fit bit for a long time I really think it needs google music. Has all this other stuff that I don’t use

Kind Regards

Claire
Ziasandia
First Steps

I made a public profile for Fitbit just to comment this, PLEASE MAKE A GOOGLE PLAY COMPATIBLE APP!

Thank you!

Claireyfairey
Jogger
Yes we would like Google Music PLEASE

Kind Regards

Claire
JLGODBOUT
First Steps

I need this in my life!! My GPM playlist is my go to and I'm always using it on my phone while working out but would be so much more convenient to have it on my Versa!

Claireyfairey
Jogger
Exactly. Come on fit bit sort it out!

Kind Regards

Claire
superlizzy
Jogger

Or just make the bluetooth stream more consistent...

I am a firm supporter of bringing Google Play Music to the Ionic. 

Claireyfairey
Jogger
Yes or Bluetooth good idea. Rather the app on the watch

Kind Regards

Claire
trimup
Stepping Up

Please add Google Play Music on the Versa. An Audible app would also be great!

Higgy103
First Steps

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I'm hoping for support of Google music on the ionic and versa, or even a quick app which will allow you to control songs and explore playlists remotely on the watch.

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity/Added Labels

Please add Google play app, I was going to buy Fitbit versa as it looks great and I like the products, but no point if I can't use my Google play account

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity/Added Labels

markrash
Jogger

While I would still prefer a native Versa app for Google Play Music, I finally figured out and became familiar with the Bluetooth music controls. I found both the pairing process and the steps to activate music controls when using the devicr to be a bit confusing, but it works for me now. Of course I have to start the music with my phone, but from then on things are good.

All that said, I'd still definitely like to see a native app, although I believe YouTube Music is eventually going to replace Google Play Music, so that might be the app we need to be pushing for instead.

Schneefalke
Jogger

I'm completely in here! I don't like Deezer and I really don't want to switch from Google to Deezer!

So actually, I can't switch from my Blaze to a new Versa, 'cause of the Missing Play Music support!

Stainedskin1982
First Steps

As a former pebble owner, one of the features I LOVED about my pebble was the ability to use the physical "up/down" buttons on the right side of the watch to control next/previous track in Google play music. Being able to shift through tracks without looking at my watch while driving was a massive bonus. Essentially, you could control the music playing through your phone from your watch. As you guys bought pebble, it seems as if all the coding is there and it would be simple enough to implement in a future update.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

They did not buy pebble. they bought some of pebble technology and hired some of if not all their coders. 

Currently the buttons control volume. 

M.A.Boley
First Steps

Adding Google Play Music App to the Ionic and Versa would be a huge help and selling point! Anyone who is android based is paying for multiple subscriptions just to make the watch work, and that is unsustainable over a long period of time. I don't want a Pandora subscription at all and I definitely don't want an IMusic subscription in addition to what I think is the superior Google Play service. It also means that even to load free podcasts I have to subscribe to IMusic, which is super frustrating. The whole reason I bought the Ionic was to leave my phone at home during runs and workouts, so without this feature I am not sure what the advantage is of having one? It will definitely influence my future purchases. 

jhmorgan34
First Steps

The lack of Google Play integration is the only thing keeping me from upgrading from my FitBit Charge. Once Google Play Music is a feature, I'll make the purchase.

KorriCongdon
Jogger

I got the Versa

formerpebbleguy
First Steps

+1 for Google music support.  Tried Deezer, and wasn't happy with it (specifically the poor Chromecast integration) so currently running two subscriptions.  Would rather just use Google and will probably just drop Deezer anyway.

William212
First Steps

So odd that it can't control Google Music.  My Pebble had no difficulty controlling any music source.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I have no problems controlling Gmusic @William212

I do have the noted problem that when the phone is paired to a Bluetooth speaker/radio, that with the latest firmware  both the ionic and the versa will not controlling the music player on the phone. 

Since they hook up as an external keyboard, I'm sort of surprised and wonder if the keyboard commands go through the fitbit app. Could it be an app problem? 

Sithlord78
First Steps

Google play music app for ionic please, I use this daily 

We most definitely need to be able to have a Google play music app for Versa. I have a subscription to this and won't be changing. Having the major music subscription apps as an option would be a HUGE plus.
Martronic
Jogger

i think you should have a sync feature like you to with pandora but using play music.... i mean you can download and store music locally on the phone so why not with a watch.... maybe if you work with google you can get some better support for the other android features....

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.