Habit Tracking to encourage healthy habits

It would be great to see a tile on the Fitbit app dashboard that allows us to create and track different positive/negative habits (e.g., take pills, don’t smoke, skip take-out, read, etc.) to help us keep track and encourage us to develop healthy habits. You could send out reminders via the Ionic and Versa, allow us to create custom habits that we’re trying to keep or break, you could even throw in some badges for certain numbers of consecutive days. I know there are already existing apps that do this, but if Fitbit is serious about making their product the go-to for whole health, this would be a great feature.

Moderator edit: labels.

23 Comments
darrensalt1969
First Steps

How about adding skipping to the fitness and exercise tracking it is a great full body workout and being able to track this would be very useful indeed I'm sure I'm not the only one who would think this, to be a good idea. Kind regards

darren1969

jbad
First Steps

POSTURE TRACKING

Why isn't any wearable company tracking posture?  Everywhere I look I see people on their mobile devices in a hunchback position.  This is detrimental to one's spinal health, as well as various other heath-related issues (breathing, arthritis, hormones, height). I cannot imagine having a COMPLETE picture of one's health without taking posture into account.  I know there is an app for this developed by a chiropractor, but why aren't the wearable companies including this?  

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @GenevieveD and commenters! Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Keen to hear what others think? @jbad You might be interested in this other suggestion: Please implement a posture correction reminder, I also invite you to add your own suggestion whenever you wish. Thank you all for your participation.

MandyR23
First Steps

Omg yes!!! I really really want a habit tracker on the fit bit! This way all my health stuff can be in one app instead of 3. 

@GenevieveD wrote:

It would be great to see a tile on the Fitbit app dashboard that allows us to create and track different positive/negative habits (e.g., take pills, don’t smoke, skip take-out, read, etc.) to help us keep track and encourage us to develop healthy habits. You could send out reminders via the Ionic and Versa, allow us to create custom habits that we’re trying to keep or break, you could even throw in some badges for certain numbers of consecutive days. I know there are already existing apps that do this, but if Fitbit is serious about making their product the go-to for whole health, this would be a great feature.

KLMN
Recovery Runner

It would be nice to have a customasible healthy habit tracker, so for instance checking off days you went without sweets/candy, days you meditated, days you read etc. Dietary things and self-care, which can be added to the dashboard as an additional tracker.

I just got the charge 3, but surely this could apply to all devices as it would be in the app.

KLMN
Recovery Runner

Just saw that people have requested a similar tracking for illness, injury, etc. The layout could basically be the same, just a different heading. By having customisable calendar-tracking one could compare more data and the link between them (poor sleep --> poor diet, injury --> not excersise etc).

wolf1mar
First Steps

Hello,

Fitbits are designed to lead to healthier living. I believe braking bad habits falls under this. Fitbit band should have a HabitAware feature where a person can train their Fitbit to alert them when they are doing heir bad habit... such as hair pulling, skin picking and nail biting. I could see this being beneficial for many Fitbit users.

ariellebelle7
First Steps

YES PLEASE. I NEED a tile where I can "check off" that I've done one of my healthy habit goals for the day!

Deekayeff
First Steps

I would love to see an app that tracks your bad habits like drinking, vaping or other and your good like journaling, meditation, self care, reaching out to someone, volunteer and creates and sets manageable goals

_tori
Jogger

This is really needed! Health should be well-rounded. Need way to track other healthy parts of life not just fitness. Could be easily implemented as well. Could work similarly to the water app where you're just able to name the habit and track how much time you've put in or whether you've completed it for that day.

MrsToady
Keeping Pace

It would be useful to track other stats, besides the ones that are already on the dashboard. Caffeine tracking, for instance. And a dashboard tile that shows how many relax breathing sessions I've done on my fitbit.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Deekayeff, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here.

Lay10
Jogger

Hi! I'm new to Fitbit and have a Charge 3. In the Fitbit App, I would love to see a habit tracker with some standard options/suggestions, but also the ability to add your own "goals" which may relate to aspects of wellbeing beyond the traditional physical kind - such as spiritual (prayer, meditation), social (call a friend) or emotional (journal, mindfulness) wellbeing. I know this can be done in other apps or old-school with pen and paper, but there is something so satisfying, motivating and encouraging to see that you're making and keeping good habits in these areas right alongside things Fitbit already tracks like drinking water and exercise. That being said, I do like the simplicity of the app and understand that it isn't easy to make it everything to everyone. Good luck and it's so great to see you are taking people's suggestions into account!

ThomasGriffin
First Steps

customizable tiles for habit tracking!

It has been over a year since this thread was first posted... Has Fitbit replied with any kind of response that this is coming?

IMO the best part of having habit tracking (with customized tiles) would be the fact that because of automatics step/heart/sleep/fitness tracking is done automatically and doesn't require manual input. Because of this, your constantly opening the app to review stats that are self populating. This overcomes the biggest fall down with other habit trackers.. sometimes you don't go into the app to enter data.. and your habit falls down. 

Because your always in the Fitbit app, you enter the other habit stats because you see them multiple times a day (IE water input)

Customizable tiles would allow those who don't want to complicate their dashboard, to simply not add them, but for those who do, to name and stat track. Perhaps in 1 or 2 different fashions, like QTY through the day, OR a simple check box for doing not doing in a day. 

With this sort of addition, combined with the "friends challenge" Fitbit could lay the foundation for business or sports teams to collaborate and track/challenge each other in fitness, and customizable metrics. 

It all starts with the customizable tiles. 

Love to hear some feedback from Fitbit on this!! 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would love to use one app for everything that I need. Since the Fitbit app tracks most of our healthy habits what about a habit tracker section that users can add their own habits too so they can see micro improvements in their lives? The tracker section could be a daily checkmark and show how the percentage of completion and how often a person wants to track a habit, such as daily, weekly, or monthly. And since everyone has different goals to allow them to add what they are tracking and not just using a pull-down tab.

So sorry... I posted this is the wrong category and have added it to the correct one.

Moderator edit: format and updated subject for clarity. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner!  That’s an interesting idea, thanks for sharing why you would like to track your habits in the Fitbit app. I've moved it into a similar suggestion, as the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

AndreaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@SunsetRunner I have moved your post to this suggestion. This is a very good idea that can help tracking habits too. Woman Wink

Keep on visiting the forums. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@AndreaFitbit@YojanaFitbit  I don't post often and thank you for posting in areas that allow for more exposure!

AndreaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

You're very welcome @SunsetRunner. I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Keep on visiting our community! Robot LOL

Status changed to: Released (Premium)
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this suggestion will be released on Fitbit Premium, our new health and fitness subscription service. Paid membership in the Fitbit app leverages insights from 10+ years of Fitbit data plus academic and medical expertise to deliver personalized programs, thousands of workouts, advanced insights, along with new challenges and reports coming soon. 

At launch, Premium includes nine guided health and fitness programs that help you get more sleep, wake up energized, increase your activity, manage nutrition and create lasting healthy habits, including: Intro to Healthy Habits, Get More Zzz’s, Habits for Restful Sleep, Get Active, Beginner Running, Run Training, Understand Calories, Kick Your Sugar Habit and Kick Your Salt Habit. Programs include actionable coaching, daily tips and tricks, structured workout plans, relaxation tools, recipe suggestions and educational content. Fitbit will launch additional activity, sleep and nutrition programs by the end of the year, so regardless of your health journey or fitness level, you will have options to help you reach your goals.

@GenevieveD, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing your idea, and thanks to all the voters and commenters for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

GenevieveD
Jogger

Hi @LizFitbit,

Is it possible to confirm that this is an upcoming feature that we haven’t seen yet in Premium, and not the “Kick Your Salt Habit” and “Kick Your Sugar Habit” program feature that has just been released? Because what we’re discussing here and what those programs are suggesting are two very different things, and I’d hate for this post to be considered closed and released if that’s all it’s going to be...

Thanks!

Lovcats
First Steps
Hi Fitbit,
I’ve tried habit tracker apps to record things like doing my physical therapy exercises and taking my medication. But I don’t remember to record them on those apps. I use the Fitbit app multiple times per day, and it would be the perfect place for me to track those things.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Lovcats, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see habit tracking to encourage healthy habits. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released".I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.