Include sedentary minutes as an option on website

As you know, this is increasing evidence that sedentary behavior (e.g., minutes/hours incactive) is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease. So, even is an individual is engaged in regular vigorous or moderate physical activity, and meet ACSM and Surgeon General guidelines for moderate/intense physical activity per week, they are at risk for heart disease if they are sitting or sedentary too much of the day. 

I upped my fitbit support to premium so I can track sedentary minutes. Though I have downloaded reports showing daily sedetary minutes, I would like to track sedentary mintues on my dashboard, so I can respond to the data in real time and work on get immediate feedback on strategies I might employ to reduce daily sedentary minutes.

PLEASE add sedentary minutes as an option for tracking the dashboard! Smiley Happy 

And don't worry about the confound between sedentary minutes during waking hours vs. sleep. My sleep doesn't vary enough to influence daily sedentary minutes, so most of the variability is related to what I do or don't do during waking hours. Substracting sleep hours from the sedentary minutes calculation would be good, but not necessary.

Thanks for considering this request..

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

9 Comments
dawnml
Jogger
An alarm that goes off after a predetermined amount of seditary mi utes would also be a great tool
mggoldstein
Jogger

Agree dawnml - great idea. Why don't you post as a separate idea?

Michael

acookster
Jogger
Great idea. Sedentary minutes is one of the things that I track through heartrate data. This would be great for the dashboard.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Great idea @mggoldstein!

I can definitely see sedentary minutes being a useful metric to a lot of our users, especially if it were easily accessible on the dashboard.

I will be sure to relay your post to our team for further review.

Thanks sharing your ideas with us on the Feature Request Board!

Joeleth
First Steps

Science has just found the magic number for daily sedentary hours that if exceded will increase your risk of cardiac death, 10 hours per day. I'd love to see this feature and removing sleep from the tally is definitely a good idea.

Helen_S
Recovery Runner

Looking at stuff on the web, it appears this used to exist on the dashboard. I would LOVE to see this feature. Along with idle alerts on all devices, it is the big drawback of fitbits in comparison to a number of competitors.

PLEASE consider this improvement.

Siggy80
First Steps

Hello,

My name is Stacy Sigfusson, and I am an Exercise Therapist in the Chronic Disease Management Programs in Saskatoon, Canada. We specialize in providing exercise and lifestyle management for chronic conditions such as heart disease, pulmonary disease, stroke, diabetes, etc. I am currently working on a patient reporting system to assist our staff in better identifying where we can do the greatest good in assisting each patient. The reporting system is intended to be comprehensive, including such indicators as aerobic capacity, muscular strength, and behavioral components such as moderate to vigorous physical activity and sedentary behavior. 

As an Alta HR user myself I have experienced the value of your products first hand. My intention is for our program to purchase several Fitbits, which will be integral for collect data for use in this reporting system. 

The suggestion I would like to make is that you update the Hourly Activity tile in the dashboard of the app to include mean stationary time or average stationary time. The inclusion of total stationary time is excellent, as I can use that data to show our patients how their behavior is increasing their health risk, showing them where they fall on a risk curve and then using this information to help them set goals. Mean sedentary bout duration has also been identified as a health risk factor, independent of total sitting time, which is why I feel it is important to include in both my reporting system and your app.

Here is a link to research backing this up: 

http://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2653704/patterns-sedentary-behavior-mortality-u-s-middle-aged-olde...

Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance in making this happen. My work contact info is 306-655-4051, email stacy.sigfusson@saskhealthauthority.ca

personal contact info 306-281-2382 (cell), email slsigfusson@hotmail.com

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Sincerely,

Stacy Sigfusson, BSc. KIN

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Siggy80, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Siggy80
First Steps

Thank you YojanaFitbit for your help. I greatly appreciate it. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.